1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:31
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    pardon? christ did what??? are you getting confused with chuck norris (joking)
    did he really make a whip? am i being gullible? when he comes back will he have a word with the archbishop of york for charging me to get into the cathedral? i love to see jesus rope whip John Sentamu. (edit. not in a kinky way)
    Mark 11:15-17
    15 And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons. 16 And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.”

No mention of a whip, but he definitely went ballistic and used force to drive people from the temple.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:31
    there have been lots of studies linking lower intelligence with religious views. on average the more religious a person is the lower their intelligence is likely to be. does this indicate that there is no need in gods world for people to be intelligent or is more of an indication that lack if knowledge means people are more likely to believe in fairy st ...[text shortened]... two, the ultimate in low I.Q. evil doings of a religious conservative!!! run for your lives!!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes that just why i have consistently kicked your butt up and the down the forum with
    pure unassailable logic and reason based on the sacred text, not like you with your
    neoplatonic extra biblical pagan doctrines, suck it up fatboy, you have no idea who
    Jesus was.
    Ha ha ha 😀
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:45
    i have a digital copy somewhere lying around, it had an audio of Arabic and English
    translation which i read. Its to my mind a very cold book and if you knew anything
    about it, you will know that its generally preferred that the reader read it in Arabic,
    countless millions of young men and women can read the Arabic script but have no
    knowled ...[text shortened]... id not state
    that it was the most widely read making your assertion, doubt triple ripple bumf!
    Your assertion that my assertion is bumf is bumf because you seem rather confused about what my assertion was.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:47
    did he really make a whip? am i being gullible? when he comes back will he have a word with the archbishop of york for charging me to get into the cathedral? i love to see jesus rope whip John Sentamu. (edit. not in a kinky way)
    this has got to be one of those stupid things JWs keep saying, like Christ died on a stake, not a cross.

They always say "what you say is not true, because it's not in the Bible" yet they don't even know what's in the Bible.

Hmmm, is there an echo in here?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:482 edits
    He will not be coming back meek like a lamb the next time. He will be
    coming back with great power and authority and with an army of mighty
    angels to subdue all evil men; and the powerful men will hide in the rocks
    and holes from the wrath of the Lord like Saddam Hussein did in Iraq from
    the American soldiers. He will be the Lord of Lords and King of Kings that
    the Jews were looking for the first time He came; and He will set up His
    Kingdom in Jerusalem on this very earth form which He will rule the
    people of the world with a rod of iron for 1000 years.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:51
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    the American soldiers. He will be the Lord of Lords and King of Ki ...[text shortened]... s very earth form which He will rule the
    Congratulations.

I never thought you'd actually write a post I can agree with 100%.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:52
    Probably? And understood?
    I have no idea how many readers of the Quran understand it. What I do know is that a larger proportion of Bibles that get distributed go unread. I know that despite coming across many many Bibles in my life time, I have never read it all. Its like the most sung song in Zambia is the National anthem but most people couldn't even tell you all the words.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:59
    the American soldiers. He will be the Lord of Lords and King of Ki ...[text shortened]... s very earth form which He will rule the
    so are you saying we should invest in property in jerusalem? home of the lord, thats gonna push real estate through the roof.

americans like democracy, or as bush used to say "m'cracy" so they pop over to iraq to take out a dictator so the country can have free voting!!! f'yeah. whats the point if another dictator is going to descend from above and rule the earth from just down the road in jerusalem or is the big G gonna let people vote?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 21:51
    so are you saying we should invest in property in jerusalem? home of the lord, thats gonna push real estate through the roof.

americans like democracy, or as bush used to say "m'cracy" so they pop over to iraq to take out a dictator so the country can have free voting!!! f'yeah. whats the point if another dictator is going to descend from above and rule the earth from just down the road in jerusalem or is the big G gonna let people vote?
    It just depends on what kind of dictator you want. A dictator is not bad
    if He is just. A just dictator is a good King. 😏
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 22:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And low education is the reason for religosity.
    Disappointing attitude.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 23:456 edits
    "And low education is the reason for religosity."

At least two people take issue with this assertion, but it actually makes sense. See, whether or whether not a given religion has any truth in it you have to ask the question: Which train of thought requires the least technical knowledge and the least mental effort?

1) Every species of creature, for all their complexity, superficial differences, and sophistication all originate from the same source a number of years ago greater than the the average person is primed to fully appreciate. That the starting point for the system we have now was a large number of 'simple' configurations of particles - at least one of which configured such that it could replicate. That with such replications occuring, and the number of such replicators steadily increasing, some of those replicators will (since they are not faithful copies) be able to replicate with greater or lesser economy than others under certain conditions - those which replicate with better economy will spawn replicators with similar traits - outperforming and undermining those which replicate with lesser economy. Moreover as the number of conditions these primitive entities are exposed to increases (since there are more entities) then we end up with more and more diversity and more complicated interactions. Then we consider playing this game for a few billion years, slowing down at various points to adapt the rules (when an entity or entities surpasses some threshold for stability, or other wide-reaching natural phenomenon, are introduced).

2) We got here by magic! (on the part of some magical deity living in some other-worldy dimension who can do and knows absolutely everything)

Clearly (2) is a much easier way to 'think' about how we got here. The stupid people amongst us lack the facility to fully grasp non-trivial concepts and consequently they will be lesser educated. But since they may still wish to 'know' how we got here then they'll likely choose an answer which best suits their capacity for reasoning - namely magic. As for the rest of us (those who are not stupid that is) then what they take away from education depends on a number of factors, but certainly early indoctrination will play a part in undermining it; and lack of education (in spite of potential) coupled with religious indoctrination should correlate well with religiosity.

Indeed before you even look at the people who had a fair crack at the whip with intellect & education and still became religious, the pool of undereducated religious people (a significant number of which having low IQs) should, by any reasonable standard of common sense be expected to be weighty. It is these people who pollute such studies whereby we draw the conclusions we do.
  13. St. Peter's
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 23:50
    there have been lots of studies linking lower intelligence with religious views. on average the more religious a person is the lower their intelligence is likely to be. does this indicate that there is no need in gods world for people to be intelligent or is more of an indication that lack if knowledge means people are more likely to believe in fairy st ...[text shortened]... two, the ultimate in low I.Q. evil doings of a religious conservative!!! run for your lives!!!!
    site one study plz
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 00:102 edits
    indeed, I always find it somewhat ironic that those calming to be erudite by secular
    standards know next to nothing about the most widely distributed book in the entire
    history of humanity, tragically comical even.
    But I also know next to nothing about what has been written in "The Sun" from one day to the next - one of the most widely distributed "news" journals in the UK. Simply put for any practical purposes I see no value in wasting my time on a book of myths (the Bible). Sure, if I had any great interest in human history, the evolution of literature and so forth, I might find it an interesting read. But to be absolutely honest I don't.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Feb '12 00:52
    ooh. an ET invasion. where will the mothership land?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree