1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    ""we skeptics and unbelievers are more educated and intelligent"is an elitist position of arrogance".
    i never actually said that. i was pointing out a statistic that says on AVERAGE!!! atheists tend to be more intelligent. its actually only about 6pts in difference. i just wondered how people on here would react to that knowledge. ive never mentioned a ...[text shortened]... e if universities adopted it to award degrees. good for linen, bad for grading intelligence.
    Is 6 pts actually statistically significant? I have certainly heard of this research before but never seen the source. Could you link to it?

--- Penguin.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    indeed, I always find it somewhat ironic that those calming to be erudite by secular
    standards know next to nothing about the most widely distributed book in the entire
    history of humanity, tragically comical even.
    I bet you haven't read the Quran, which is probably read more than the Bible is.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:41
    there have been lots of studies linking lower intelligence with religious views. on average the more religious a person is the lower their intelligence is likely to be.
    First of all, the studies almost certainly relate IQ to religiosity, not intelligence to religiosity. Do not confuse IQ with intelligence.
    Secondly, there is also a well known correlation between poverty and religiosity and correlations between third world countries and religiosity and culture and religiosity.
    So, before you jump to the conclusion that the correlation is a causal one from IQ to religiosity, you have to eliminate quite a lot of other possible explanations.
    I think that in reality there is no one explanation for the correlation, but rather the correlation is a result of a number of different factors.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:461 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I bet you haven't read the Quran, which is probably read more than the Bible is.
    i have a digital copy somewhere lying around, it had an audio of Arabic and English
    translation which i read. Its to my mind a very cold book and if you knew anything
    about it, you will know that its generally preferred that the reader read it in Arabic,
    countless millions of young men and women can read the Arabic script but have no
    knowledge of what it actually means making your assertion, pure bumf! and just for
    the record, we are talking of the most widely distributed book in history, i did not state
    that it was the most widely read making your assertion, doubt triple ripple bumf!
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Did you read all of my posting? Did you understand it?
    well, gee whiz, how could I possibly understand it, after all, I must be one of those people you describe as having low education.

Don't patronize me. Of course I read it, and of course I understand it. My education surpasses the third grade, after all. Your prejudice is insulting.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:491 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Your problem seems to be that you know of the Holy Bible and what the
    Watchtower Society says about the Holy Bible, but you neither know or
    understand what is in the Holy Bible. 😏
    yes that just why i have consistently kicked your butt up and the down the forum with
    pure unassailable logic and reason based on the sacred text, not like you with your
    neoplatonic extra biblical pagan doctrines, suck it up fatboy, you have no idea who
    Jesus was.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:531 edit
    if we are going down that road. wouldnt we all need to read every book of every religion before we choose which to believe or dismiss. shouldnt believers read every paper ever written on evolution before they debunk it. by the way i have read the bible* from front to back!!!!!!!!!!!!

*the childrens illustrated condensed version, no laughing its valid!!!
    yes you would, but how many are there actually for you to read, the Bible (contains the
    torah) the Koran, the Granth Sahib, the Gita, book of Mormon? the Tripitaka?
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:55
    First of all, the studies almost certainly relate IQ to religiosity, not intelligence to religiosity. Do not confuse IQ with intelligence.
    Secondly, there is also a well known correlation between poverty and religiosity and correlations between third world countries and religiosity and culture and religiosity.
    So, before you jump to the conclusion that ...[text shortened]... on for the correlation, but rather the correlation is a result of a number of different factors.
    There has over the years been a lot of concern regarding IQ results in the third world surrounding the fact that the tests have been developed in the west and may have some cultural bias.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    well, gee whiz, how could I possibly understand it, after all, I must be one of those people you describe as having low education.

Don't patronize me. Of course I read it, and of course I understand it. My education surpasses the third grade, after all. Your prejudice is insulting.
    The first paragraph I wrote was:
    "I would rather believe the low intelligens is the reason for low education. And low education is the reason for religosity."
    Is it this that made you mad?

I never said that every christian have low intelligence. So if you're bright, then you are one of many.
    I didn't even say that every low-intelligence is christian. Because that isn't true.

So please explain what makes you mad, and we go from there...
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:56
    yes that just why i have consistently kicked your butt up and the down the forum with
    pure unassailable logic and reason based on the sacred text, not like you with your
    neoplatonic extra biblical pagan doctrines, suck it up fatboy, you have no idea who
    Jesus was.
    thats it boys turn the other cheek. nice to see a bit of christian on christian action.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 15:582 edits
    thats it boys turn the other cheek. nice to see a bit of christian on christian action.
    the Christ made a rope whip an literally kicked the money changers out of the temple,
    no excuses, no weak and whiny Christians who tolerate turning the spirituality forum
    into a cave of robbers and especially no materialism! Your vain assertions of turning
    the other cheek under such circumstances seems somewhat, badly conceived. Pity
    that.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:06
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Is 6 pts actually statistically significant? I have certainly heard of this research before but never seen the source. Could you link to it?

--- Penguin.
    6pts? probably not id say. my wifes way more than 6 above me, but can she find her way around a map or explain the offside rule in soccer, or reverse park, nope!! (sexism used purely for comedic effect)

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/high_iq_liberal_atheist_monogamous_/
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=402381
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

there are lots more.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:121 edit
    the Christ made a rope whip an literally kicked the money changers out of the temple,
    no excuses, no weak and whiny Christians who tolerate turning the spirituality forum
    into a cave of robbers and especially no materialism! Your vain assertions of turning
    the other cheek under such circumstances seems somewhat, badly conceived. Pity
    that.
    pardon? christ did what??? are you getting confused with chuck norris (joking)
    did he really make a whip? am i being gullible? when he comes back will he have a word with the archbishop of york for charging me to get into the cathedral? i love to see jesus rope whip John Sentamu. (edit. not in a kinky way)
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:27
    do you think it is a coincidence then?
    No. People can make many studies come out the way they want them to.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Feb '12 16:30
    Probably? And understood?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree