1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 16:40
    Eladar has invited me to start a thread in which he will instruct us about religion. He said he will stake questions and is sure many will chime in.

This is that thread.

It is very tempting to make light of this invitation, but I won't do that. I will take Eladar at his word. Also, this would be a thread that does not simply duplicate what other threads dwell on.

One question I have is about the personal nature of God. Among he proofs of God's existence that I was taught, there is a proof that God is a person, not some sort of force, not a pantheistic All, but a real, living person. This has nothing to do with the Trinity, or at least, it focuses on the One-ness aspect of God, not the three-ness.

I don't remember the proof of this, and wonder about what it means and how we come to know it. In what ways is God essentially a person?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 16:56
    Originally posted by @js357
    Eladar has invited me to start a thread in which he will instruct us about religion. He said he will stake questions and is sure many will chime in.

This is that thread.

It is very tempting to make light of this invitation, but I won't do that. I will take Eladar at his word. Also, this would be a thread that does not simply duplicate what other threads ...[text shortened]... wonder about what it means and how we come to know it. In what ways is God essentially a person?
    Before this thread is polluted with Eladars nonsense about sexuality immorality. please allow me to post the one definition of religion taken from the Bible:

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this,
    To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction,
    and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

(James 1:27 KJV)

If Eladar had his way all of the old patriarchs listed in the Bible, who were called perfect, and friends of God and Gods chosen, would be stoned to death.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 17:32

This is that thread.

It is very tempting to make light of this invitation, but I won't do that. I will take Eladar at his word. Also, this would be a thread that does not simply duplicate what other threads ...[text shortened]... wonder about what it means and how we come to know it. In what ways is God essentially a person?
    There is no such proof believed by all people, at least concerning the God of the Bible.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 17:32
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Before this thread is polluted with Eladars nonsense about sexuality immorality. please allow me to post the one definition of religion taken from the Bible:

[i]Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this,
    [b]To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction,
    and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

(James 1:27 KJV)[ ...[text shortened]... he Bible, who were called perfect, and friends of God and Gods chosen, would be stoned to death.[/b]
    Not sure what you are rambling on about.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 18:58
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Not sure what you are rambling on about.
    Ramble is what you do in your posts about sexual immorality.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 19:24
    Ramble is what you do in your posts about sexual immorality.
    Deal with it when you see it. Bringing it into other threads that have nothing to do with it just complains and diverts the topic. It makes you look like troll not caring about the actual topic.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 19:43
    Deal with it when you see it. Bringing it into other threads that have nothing to do with it just complains and diverts the topic. It makes you look like troll not caring about the actual topic.
    And what have you brought to this thread ? Nothing.
    I posted a quote from the Bible pertaining to religion.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 20:17
    And what have you brought to this thread ? Nothing.
    I posted a quote from the Bible pertaining to religion.
    What have I brought? The answer to the question from the Biblical perspective.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 20:182 edits
    There is no such proof believed by all people, at least concerning the God of the Bible.
    Perhaps I need to expand the question, or refocus it away from the issue of proof which has been discussed here many times.

What does “God is a person” mean to you? Does God have a personality? Does God display moods, emotions, feelings; does God have and express thoughts in spoken words? Does God change over time? In what ways, if any, are we made in the image of God, such that we can understand the ways we are like God? Is God gendered? Or are these just oversimplifications that show the limits of our minds?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 20:27
    Perhaps I need to expand the question, or refocus it away from the issue of proof which has been discussed here many times.

What does “God is a person” mean to you? Does God have a personality? Does God display moods, emotions, feelings; does God have and express thoughts in spoken words? Does God change over time? In what ways, if any, are we made in the ...[text shortened]... e God? Is God gendered? Or are these just oversimplifications that show the limits of our minds?
    From Hebrews 13

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Seeing as Jesus only does as his Father would do, the same statement is True of God the Father and accordingly God the Holy Spirit.

God is always the same.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 23:071 edit
    What have I brought? The answer to the question from the Biblical perspective.
    You never post "the Biblical perspective". You post your own, unBiblical, twisted perspective. You don't have answers. You obfuscate at every turn. You care only for your own agenda.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 23:12

What does “God is a person” mean to you? Does God have a personality? Does God display moods, emotions, feelings; does God have and express thoughts in spoken words? Does God change over time? In what ways, if any, are we made in the ...[text shortened]... e God? Is God gendered? Or are these just oversimplifications that show the limits of our minds?
    Oversimplifications that, strangely, no one can agree on.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jan '18 23:14
    Only the Europeans were contacted and instructed by God.

I do get suspicious by that fact.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '18 00:02
    From Hebrews 13

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Seeing as Jesus only does as his Father would do, the same statement is True of God the Father and accordingly God the Holy Spirit.

God is always the same.
    That makes me think of a statue made of an unchangeable substance in a timeless world. This seems strange.

I look forward to your comments on the other things I mentioned, as this might clarify my thinking.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '18 00:10
    That makes me think of a statue made of an unchangeable substance in a timeless world. This seems strange.

I look forward to your comments on the other things I mentioned, as this might clarify my thinking.
    As for gender, of course God is neither male nor female, but there are Gender roles and God functions as the male figure.

God created gender and one purpose was to give a physical relationship between us and him.

For those who recueve eternal life they will have neither a gender of male or female, yet they are still described as being the bride of Christ. So to answer your question of gender, God is male.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree