1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 00:41
    Ultimately are they anything more than more widely accepted and formalized superstition and/ or OCD?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 08:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Ultimately are they anything more than more widely accepted and formalized superstition and/ or OCD?
    Some peoples disciplines are suited toward performing rituals. You just gotta know where everything fits and that the ritual can be like the object of worship(idol) , it can overshadow the true meaning of spirituality, which is not in the ritual. The ritual is used for "purification" only.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 17:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Some peoples disciplines are suited toward performing rituals. You just gotta know where everything fits and that the ritual can be like the object of worship(idol) , it can overshadow the true meaning of spirituality, which is not in the ritual. The ritual is used for "purification" only.
    By "purification" do you mean as a means of relieving anxiety as does a person with OCD?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 23:42
    By "purification" do you mean as a means of relieving anxiety as does a person with OCD?
    I think so.
    Relieving stress/anxiety properly and permanently involves aquainting oneself with ones "spiritual side". Some people need ritiuals for this.
    I find some people are more prone to OCD than others. I'm not sure their is a correlation with performing rituals...
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 15:391 edit
    I think so.
    Relieving stress/anxiety properly and permanently involves aquainting oneself with ones "spiritual side". Some people need ritiuals for this.
    I find some people are more prone to OCD than others. I'm not sure their is a correlation with performing rituals...
    Seems like both religious rituals and OCD rituals are about deluding oneself into believing those actions are effective in removing the actual source of the anxiety. As such they cannot "properly and permanently" relieve the stress/anxiety through those actions. What do you think?
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 05:08
    Seems like both religious rituals and OCD rituals are about deluding oneself into believing those actions are effective in removing the actual source of the anxiety. As such they cannot "properly and permanently" relieve the stress/anxiety through those actions. What do you think?
    before I go on (with not having given much thought to my responses thus far. Kinda thinking about it in hindsight), you are talking about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, right?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 13:351 edit
    before I go on (with not having given much thought to my responses thus far. Kinda thinking about it in hindsight), you are talking about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, right?
    Yes, by "OCD" I mean "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 13:43
    In my opinion, rituals has nothing to do with religion.

Why would a supernatural intelligent being be happier if men and women performed rituals? Why would men and women make anything wrong against this supernatural intelligent being by not performing these rituals?

These rituals are invented by men in order to [guessing] know who is loyal to the religion and who is not [/guessing].
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 20:162 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    In my opinion, rituals has nothing to do with religion.

Why would a supernatural intelligent being be happier if men and women performed rituals? Why would men and women make anything wrong against this supernatural intelligent being by not performing these rituals?

These rituals are invented by men in order to [guessing] know who is loyal to the religion and who is not [/guessing].
    The idea that an omnipotent being would dispense reward or punishment
    depending on whether or not the proper rituals were performed is indeed bizarre. However, I'd have to say that it has much to do with religion as most, if not all, religions have rituals of one sort or another. Also it seems likely that rituals were created as an attempt to curry favor with the supernatural.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 20:22
    Rituals do not have to include delusion. And OCD rituals can be quite effective at relieving stress - which is a large part of why they form. I think we are all a little obsessive compulsive - just not always to the point that it gets labelled a disorder. We like routine - partly because it means we need to think less about what we are doing.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 20:53
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Rituals do not have to include delusion. And OCD rituals can be quite effective at relieving stress - which is a large part of why they form. I think we are all a little obsessive compulsive - just not always to the point that it gets labelled a disorder. We like routine - partly because it means we need to think less about what we are doing.
    Rituals do not have to include delusion.

Can you give examples of rituals that are not "about deluding oneself into believing those actions are effective in removing the actual source of the anxiety"?

And OCD rituals can be quite effective at relieving stress - which is a large part of why they form.

Which is also likely a large part of why religious rituals form and religion itself forms.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 23:22
    Yes, by "OCD" I mean "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder"
    I dont think OCD is such a bad thing.
    Religous fervor can be a good thing. I dont know, I try to see the positive side of things. There is usually a positive side.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Oct '10 02:20
    I dont think OCD is such a bad thing.
    Religous fervor can be a good thing. I dont know, I try to see the positive side of things. There is usually a positive side.
    Ultimately avoidance of reality is not a "good thing". Seems like those who insist on looking on the "positive side" are avoiding reality.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 04:23
    If meditation and yoga are considered OCD activities, the same as praying, then perhaps your argument is well founded. Since I don't think singing hymns, praying, or studying/reading/discussing ancient writings to be an OCD activity, then I'd disagree with your prermise.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 09:01
    Ultimately avoidance of reality is not a "good thing". Seems like those who insist on looking on the "positive side" are avoiding reality.
    The postivie side is a part of reality, so your not completely avoiding it.🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree