1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 09:02
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    If meditation and yoga are considered OCD activities, the same as praying, then perhaps your argument is well founded. Since I don't think singing hymns, praying, or studying/reading/discussing ancient writings to be an OCD activity, then I'd disagree with your prermise.
    Yeah, I'm not altogether sure there is any correlation.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:222 edits
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    If meditation and yoga are considered OCD activities, the same as praying, then perhaps your argument is well founded. Since I don't think singing hymns, praying, or studying/reading/discussing ancient writings to be an OCD activity, then I'd disagree with your prermise.
    I suspect that you may not understand the nature of ritual and/or OCD.

Try reading this to get a better grasp:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual

Here's an excerpt:
    A ritual is a set of actions, performed mainly for their symbolic value. It may be prescribed by a religion or by the traditions of a community. The term usually excludes actions which are arbitrarily chosen by the performers, or dictated purely by logic, chance, necessity, etc...Rituals of various kinds are a feature of almost all known human societies, past or present. They include not only the various worship rites and sacraments of organized religions and cults, but also the rites of passage of certain societies, atonement and purification rites, oaths of allegiance, dedication ceremonies, coronations and presidential inaugurations, marriages and funerals, school "rush" traditions and graduations, club meetings, sports events, Halloween parties, veteran parades, Christmas shopping and more.

In psychology, the term ritual is sometimes used in a technical sense for a repetitive behavior systematically used by a person to neutralize or prevent anxiety; it is a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '10 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The postivie side is a part of reality, so your not completely avoiding it.๐Ÿ™‚
    Hopefully this was said in complete jest ๐Ÿ™‚
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 06:26
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Hopefully this was said in complete jest ๐Ÿ™‚
    how about this: Because we create the world with our thoughts, it is best to think realistically with a positive outlook. Thats what I try anyway, I cant think of any other way to go...
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 21:27
    how about this: Because we create the world with our thoughts, it is best to think realistically with a positive outlook. Thats what I try anyway, I cant think of any other way to go...
    Not sure you've really changed much here. Seems like there's still an avoidance of reality here and where there's an avoidance of reality, there's delusion.
  6. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 21:29
    ExtREMEly correct!
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 21:41
    Not sure you've really changed much here. Seems like there's still an avoidance of reality here and where there's an avoidance of reality, there's delusion.
    Again: Realistic interpretation, positive outlook.
    I dont see why you cant have a postivive outlook while still embracing and working with ALL that has happened, that is real.

Some (in real life) have said that I seem immature, that I dont fathom the depths of pain, that I make things rosy which aren't.

My life on the outside is not particurlarly rosy. Its always been like that. But just because I have the ability to laugh when contemplating even the most dire of situations does not mean I am deluded. I am finding a way forward. I am working with what I have, and I would do anything in my power to relieve suffering where I can.

I may well laugh, but there is no one more serious when it comes to trying to understand the best and truest "reality" I can fathom. I am realistic with a positive outlook. I really dont want you to think I am one of those new-age scmaltzes that sees everything in a positive light and tries to describe everything as super-easy, but if you do end up thinking that so be it. I cant waste any more time than this post trying to defend my ego- more pressing matters await๐Ÿ™‚
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 22:01
    Again: Realistic interpretation, positive outlook.
    I dont see why you cant have a postivive outlook while still embracing and working with ALL that has happened, that is real.

Some (in real life) have said that I seem immature, that I dont fathom the depths of pain, that I make things rosy which aren't.

My life on the outside is not particurlarly ...[text shortened]... ant waste any more time than this post trying to defend my ego- more pressing matters await๐Ÿ™‚
    Well, based on where you started:
    I dont think OCD is such a bad thing.
    Religous fervor can be a good thing. I dont know, I try to see the positive side of things. There is usually a positive side.

Seems likely that you're kidding yourself and me here.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 00:481 edit
    Well, based on where you started:
    I dont think OCD is such a bad thing.
    Religous fervor can be a good thing. I dont know, I try to see the positive side of things. There is usually a positive side.

Seems likely that you're kidding yourself and me here.
    Let me clarify those comments.
    I believe there are different types of OCD.

A story that comes to mind is about a woman who chanted. She chanted so much that everyone around her thought she was mad.
    But she would keep on chanting until one day-Bam!!, she was enlightened. From then on she never chanted again..
    So her OCD may have been beneficial in the end, however I'm sure there are many more similar stories where the ending has not been so happy...

edit: so yes, I am kidding myself and you for the most part but then every now and then a crazy chanting lady comes along and....
    (every now and then there is a positive side)
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 04:30
    Let me clarify those comments.
    I believe there are different types of OCD.

A story that comes to mind is about a woman who chanted. She chanted so much that everyone around her thought she was mad.
    But she would keep on chanting until one day-Bam!!, she was enlightened. From then on she never chanted again..
    So her OCD may have been beneficial i ...[text shortened]... d then a crazy chanting lady comes along and....
    (every now and then there is a positive side)
    Well, even if the story is true, I suspect you might be assuming a cause and effect that may not be true. For example, let's substitute the "chanter" with a "serial killer".
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 20:38
    Well, even if the story is true, I suspect you might be assuming a cause and effect that may not be true. For example, let's substitute the "chanter" with a "serial killer".
    Its one of those stories I resonate with. I really dont care if its true.

And she was a chanter, not a serial killer.
    But I take your point...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree