Religious tolerance

Religious tolerance

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
11 Dec 07

Anyone with a sound mind believes everyone has the right to practice whatever form of religion they so chose.

Whether you are an atheist, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jew, or a Zen Buddhist, we should all celebrate our freedom to do as we please, and respect the others rights.

I believe that people from all persuasions recognise that right, but there are a few that think they have a right to kill you if you don't believe the way they do.

I think we should gather them all up and put them in the same place. Let them have at it.

N

The sky

Moves
11 Dec 07

Originally posted by josephw
Anyone with a sound mind believes everyone has the right to practice whatever form of religion they so chose.

Whether you are an atheist, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jew, or a Zen Buddhist, we should all celebrate our freedom to do as we please, and respect the others rights.

I believe that people from all persuasions recognise that right, but there are ...[text shortened]... o.

I think we should gather them all up and put them in the same place. Let them have at it.
In other words, you would like to see them dead, but your own beliefs don't allow you to kill them yourself, so you'd like to do it by proxy?

s

Moves
11 Dec 07

... but of course they go to hell if they pick the wrong one...?

TD8

Moves
11 Dec 07

My religion doesn't think highly of infidels! Thanks for giving me the right to practice my religion...now I'll kill you.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
12 Dec 07

I don't.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Dec 07
3 edits

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I don't.
I wouldn't either; at least, not until he states what he means by 'practice'.

L

Moves
12 Dec 07

I believe that people from all persuasions recognise that right, but there are ...[text shortened]... o.

I doubt it. Surely we can come up with counterexamples that would persuade sound minds? What if there were some group whose ancient texts and council of elders deemed it good to sacrifice a virgin on every full moon so as not to anger the Great Night Candle in the sky? Do they have a right to this practice of sacrificing young girls to appease their great moon god?

there are a few that think they have a right to kill you if you don't believe the way they do.

Basically like your God, you mean? Didn't He, by your own account, structure the world such that we either believe certain things (or hold certain articles of faith) or suffer horribly for the rest of eternity? Does He have this right to visit unthinkable fates on a person if they don't believe the way He wants them to? If one has a right, as you seem to indicate, to refrain from practicing religion X, then don't we each have obligation not to manufacture some forced-choice scenario whereby the person either practices religion X or suffers horrendously? But your God provides for just such a coercive scenario even though He is all-powerful and could simply act otherwise. I don't really understand: if these manners of intolerance are so evident to you, then why don't you consider your own God's view of justice to be perverse and idiotic?

It all just seems a bit rich in a way -- getting lessons in tolerance from someone who worships a monster and has a documented history of bigotry. For instance, I suppose it's nice that you think gays have the right to be different in that respect from you. But that doesn't seem to stop you from thinking that they stand in desert of eternal torment; or stop you from categorically disparaging their intimate acts of love as disgusting "abomination". I'm not saying I think you are necessarily being inconsistent in that respect (because generally I don't think the claim that one has a right to X has any necessary implications regarding whether or not one ought to X). I just don't consider you or your God to be exemplars or scholars on these issues.

Otherwise, I agree largely with your sentiment.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Dec 07

I guess I don't have a sound mind. I think the right to practice religion should be heavily restricted and in some cases banned. I also think forcing your religion on children should be outlawed too and that is part of most religions practice (or they wouldn't last very long).

JJ

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
I guess I don't have a sound mind. I think the right to practice religion should be heavily restricted and in some cases banned. I also think forcing your religion on children should be outlawed too and that is part of most religions practice (or they wouldn't last very long).
Well...i kind of agree with you and dont.... i think you should make your children aware of religion...not just your own... but your religion must never be forced on to your child....they must be able to choose for themselves whether to believe or not...

d

Moves
12 Dec 07

"Anyone with a sound mind believes everyone has the right to practice whatever form of religion they so chose."

Then I must not have a sound mind. You would surely lock up a serial killer, yes? What if serial killing were his religion? I don't see any reason why that should have special merit. I still wouldn't let him practice that form of religion.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
In other words, you would like to see them dead, but your own beliefs don't allow you to kill them yourself, so you'd like to do it by proxy?
They're dead anyway.

Honestly, I'd like them to know Jesus, but as long as they continue to murder innocent people, why should they be allowed to live?

Think it through why don't you? Do you have to be so anti-Christian that your head is fogged up about intolerance?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I don't.
So you think the government should take control?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by doodinthemood
"Anyone with a sound mind believes everyone has the right to practice whatever form of religion they so chose."

Then I must not have a sound mind. You would surely lock up a serial killer, yes? What if serial killing were his religion? I don't see any reason why that should have special merit. I still wouldn't let him practice that form of religion.
You obviously don't understand!

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
Well...i kind of agree with you and dont.... i think you should make your children aware of religion...not just your own... but your religion must never be forced on to your child....they must be able to choose for themselves whether to believe or not...
You know as well as I do everyone makes that choice for themselves.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 07

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]Anyone with a sound mind believes everyone has the right to practice whatever form of religion they so chose.

I doubt it. Surely we can come up with counterexamples that would persuade sound minds? What if there were some group whose ancient texts and council of elders deemed it good to sacrifice a virgin on every full moon so as not to anger ...[text shortened]... rs or scholars on these issues.

Otherwise, I agree largely with your sentiment.[/b]
"getting lessons in tolerance from someone who worships a monster and has a documented history of bigotry."

That's as bigoted a statement as I have ever heard.
Hypocrite.

You deny the existence of God, and then call him a monster as though he exists. Grow up!