I've attempted to make the point about faith before with other using
    this example. I'll throw it out again, and either watch it get slapped or
    used this time.

If my son tells me he is going to be somewhere at 10 am and I have
    to pick him up. If I leave my home at 9:30 to go get him, am I now
    acting in good faith on my son's word, reasoning that he will be there
    as he said he would?
    Kelly
    the way you are using 'faith' here is altogether different in my opinion than the way faith is used by the believer. your son is not a supernatural being whom you cannot understand. i like frogstomp's reply above.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 18:111 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    suppose you had never seen your son and had read in a book " Dad, pick me up at 10"
    You plan on answering my question or not?
    We can get into the God portion of this, but this is about 'faith' and
    its use among mankind.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 18:12
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    the way you are using 'faith' here is altogether different in my opinion than the way faith is used by the believer. your son is not a supernatural being whom you cannot understand. i like frogstomp's reply above.
    It is faith, that is still the point. What we are putting our faith into
    is another thing all together yes, but notheless it is still using faith.
    Kelly
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '05 18:47
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    It is faith, that is still the point. What we are putting our faith into
    is another thing all together yes, but notheless it is still using faith.
    Kelly
    it is faith only according to certain definitions of the word 'faith'. according to my definition of faith (as in, the way i use 'faith' in this forum), your example is not faith at all. it is not the same faith employed by a believer.

the main distinction between the example and the 'faith' of a believer involves the supernatural element. god is a supernatural being; the supernatural is beyond our comprehension by definition; we cannot approach the supernatural with our intellect; thus we cannot 'know' anything about this supernatural being through rational thought. my son is completely different. he is a natural being like myself. he is subject to the same physical laws as myself. i can know things about him through sensory perception and rational thought. i can also trust his words that he will be where he says he will be at 10 o'clock. trusting his words involves no faith and no reliance on anything supernatural. trusting written words that discuss a supernatural being does require faith.

What we are putting our faith into is another thing

my objection to your example is that these 'things' are in no way similar: my son is natural, god is supernatural. thus your example IMO does not reflect the faith of a believer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree