1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 11:245 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    From the snippet it is not clear if the harlot is being judged or doing the judging. I feel this is fairly important to the interpretation of the quote.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of Revelation 18:1-3 we may know that it is the one called "Babylon the Great" which is BEING judged.

"After these things I saw another Angel coming down out of heaven, having great authority; and the earth was illuminated with His glory.

And He cried with a strong voice, saying, Fallen, fallen is Babylon the Great! And she has become a dwelling place of demons and a hold of every unclean spirit and a hold of every unclean and hateful bird."

Since the on the forehead of the woman was written, "MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT ..." (17:5a) we can know that the judgment is of the Harlot and the Woman. That is the religious aspect and the material aspect of this matter.

I submit that the Harlot (that is the MOTHER of harlots) is the RCC and the Woman is the city of Rome. The two are closely related.

The Beast the powers that are indirectly used by God to carry out this judgment are themselves defeated by Jesus Christ and His overcoming army accompanying Him from heaven.

"These [Antichrist and his armies] will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and they who are with Him, the called and chosen and faithful, will also overcome them." (Rev. 17:14).

There is plenty of judgment to go around.

But definitely the Mother of Harlots is called here Babylon and is judged.

"And another angel, a second one, followed, saying, Fallen, fallen is Babylon the Great, who has made all the nations drink of the wine of the fury of her fornication! " (Rev. 14:8)

Christ comes to judge the judgers of Babylon.

In the Old Testament Babylon is a place where God's people were scattered and taken captive away from the good land. Babylon is not only a place of idolatry but a place of distraction from God's land and God's purpose.

You should think of the NT usage of Babylon to include the meaning of a distraction from God's will carrying His people off away from His promises. That is a captivity of His people off from where they were meant to be.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 12:561 edit
    I am way too tired right now to give this the attention it deserves.

Tomorrow is another day. 🙂
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 15:481 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I am way too tired right now to give this the attention it deserves.

Tomorrow is another day. 🙂
    Here is something simple to get.

There are three judgments in this chapter.

1.) A judgment of the woman sitting on the beast.

2.) A judgment of the Antichrist and his armies.

3.) A judgment on those who accompany Christ to defeat Antichrist and his armies.

It is easy to see the first two judgments. But what about the third - the judgment on those who accompany Christ to defeat the beast Antichrist ?

That is strongly implied in this verse -

" These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; AND THEY WHO ARE WITH HIM, the called and chosen and faithful ..." (v.14)

Before Jesus gathers His army He first will make a judgment upon all among all of His believers from the past. These are "the called" and these are "the chosen". Then out of the entire body of the called and chosen He will decide to REWARD a remnant, a minority. These are "the faithful."

The called and chosen AND FAITHFUL will form His army to come down with Him at Armageddon to defeat Antichrist and his armies. They have been saved. But TO their salvation they have added their own FAITHFULNESS. And for this they are privileged to accompany Jesus Christ on His victorious descent to crush the one who judges the woman seated on the beast.

Christians are called.
    Christians are chosen.
    Christians must ADD to these wonderful actions of God their faithfulness. And Jesus will decide among all His saved ones who will enjoy that special reward to accompany Him to judge Antichrist and his armies.

This is more developed in chapter 19.

Can you now see THREE results of judgment in Revelation 17?

The more hidden one is that the saints of God, the called are judged. And those who are positively judged become "the called and chosen AND FAITHFUL". Many are called. Few are chosen. Many are chosen. Only a remnant will be those who are "FAITHFUL" to overcome through their cooperation with His all sufficient grace.

We believers all have a opportunity not only to be the called and the chosen but through His grace to add to these our faithfulness. Then we will be rewarded before the judgment seat of Christ. That is after the final rapture to descend back down to the earth to accompany Christ in His victory at Armageddon over Antichrist.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 18:594 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] "And on her forehead there was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF THE HARLOTS AND THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH." (v.5)

We are therefore dealing with something abominable which has spawned off other entities like it. That is to one degree or another degree what Babylon is is carried over to other entities ...[text shortened]... ssons of fear and instruction, that they also as daughters, be delivered from the mother's sins.[/b]
    In the Middle East, "mother of..." is an idiom meaning "the embodiment of..." The "Mother of harlots" would be recognized by any Middle Eastern person as meaning the embodiment of all whoredom.

Iraqi statements on the Persian Gulf war, as reported in the press, have been filled with references to "the mother of battles." The commander of the Iraqi Republican Guard is quoted as saying that his troops "will repel the heathen alliance led by America in the mother of battles."

The translation is based on a misunderstanding of the use of the Arabic word "umm" (mother). Besides its literal meaning, "umm" -- when followed by another noun -- is often equivalent to English words like "chief," "main" or "principal" (as in "mother lode" ).

Thus, "umm al-watan" (mother of the homeland) means "metropolis," "ummahat al-hawadith" (mothers of events) means "major events," and "ummahat as-suhuf" (mothers of newspapers) means "leading newspapers." The Arabic phrase literally meaning "mother of battles" (umm al-ma'arik) can best be translated "the great battle," "the mighty battle," perhaps "the decisive battle."

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/07/opinion/l-mother-of-battles-mistranslates-arabic-834791.html

So "mother of harlots" could best be translated "the great harlot" or "the mighty harlot" or "the harlot to end all harlots" and does not mean that it has some daughters.

This also includes the "mother of" the abominations of the earth. So this is actually referring to the great evils of the earth. This could be translated:
    MYSTERY. BABYLON THE GREAT, THE EMBODIMENT OF ALL HARLOTS AND THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 19:42
    Your comment is useful in that various judgments are revealed in [b]Revelation. There is a judgment on world empires and there is judgment on religious empires.

This why chapter 17 begins with one of the angels who have just unleashed judgment on world powers to want to take John aside and reveal to him other judgment.

And one of the s ...[text shortened]... waters of life; and God shall wipe away every tear from their eyes." (Rev. 7:17)
    [/b]
    The angel carried John away in the spirit to the future location of the great city that he calls Babylon the Great. That location is a wilderness or desert area and is a clue in identifying this future great harlot city.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 19:556 edits
    The Mother of Harlots is in a place of spiritual desolation, dryness, thirst and lack of refreshment of the divine life of the Spirit of God,

While I speak of the critical matters about this woman it is always important to remember that as a [b]"MOTHER"
    , she has spawned off other descendants who share some of her problems. The principle to see here i ...[text shortened]... pects of both the Harlot and the Wife which are in all Christians temporarily, at the same time.[/b]
    Sorry, the city of Rome is not in a wilderness or desert area. John knew of the city of Rome. But this city was a "MYSTERY" to John. It was identified as "Babylon the Great" that seems to indicate that it has something in common with the ancient Babylon, but is greater.

Try again. 😏

Another clue for you:

"The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth."
    (Revelation 17:18 NASB)

The City of Rome does not reign over any kings to my knowledge. Also read Revelation 18:9-19 to figure out what great city is so rich and buys so much merchandise from others that they act in this manner when she is judged. 😏
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 03:061 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Sorry, the city of Rome is not in a wilderness or desert area. John knew of the city of Rome. But this city was a "MYSTERY" to John. It was identified as "Babylon the Great" that seems to indicate that it has something in common with the ancient Babylon, but is greater.

Try again. 😏

Another clue for you:

"The woman whom you saw is the great cit ...[text shortened]... ich and buys so much merchandise from others that they act in this manner when she is judged. 😏
    Would you consider taking your posts and your smug moniker to another thread on the subject matter started by you ? I will stay out of it. You will have there your platform to teach whatever you wish to say about Revelation 17,18.

Of course I cannot force you. I can ask you.
    I'll stay out of your started discussion on Rev. 17,18. And you hopefully will stay out of this one.

How about it ?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 04:48
    Would you consider taking your posts and your smug moniker to another thread on the subject matter started by you ? I will stay out of it. You will have there your platform to teach whatever you wish to say about [b]Revelation 17,18.

Of course I cannot force you. I can ask you.
    I'll stay out of your started discussion on Rev. 17,18. And you hopefully will stay out of this one.

How about it ?[/b]
    I was just trying to help you from making the same mistake many others have. But if you don't want my help, then go ahead with that false teaching.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 05:263 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I was just trying to help you from making the same mistake many others have. But if you don't want my help, then go ahead with that false teaching.
    You are not helping me that much. I am asking you to start your thread on the subject. I'll stay out of it. Could we do that ?

Do like Paul did in Acts 19. He separated out some listeners who really wanted to hear him. And he took them off away from the crowd and taught them in a different venue (Acts 19:9). Seriously.

We'll just stay out of each other's way for this topic. It is a gentleman's agreement. Go start a "Corrected Rev. 17,18" free from what you believe are my mistakes.

Let's try it for once. Agreed?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 06:34
    You are not helping me that much. I am asking you to start your thread on the subject. I'll stay out of it. Could we do that ?

Do like Paul did in [b] Acts 19
    . He separated out some listeners who really wanted to hear him. And he took them off away from the crowd and taught them in a different venue (Acts 19:9). Seriously.

We'll just s ...[text shortened]... d Rev. 17,18" [/b] free from what you believe are my mistakes.

Let's try it for once. Agreed?[/b]
    Okay, do your thing.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 12:56
    Thankyou. I don't mind addressing some of your issues. But I do not want to get into a perpetual back and forth in one thread.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 13:291 edit
    These chapters are not simple. I am going to speak more to the Harlot riding the beast for the moment than the beast.

In verse 9 we see that woman sits on seven mountains:

"Here is the mind of wisdom. The seven heads are the seven mountains where the woman sits. " (v.9)

That is not the only thing that is said about the seven heads of the beast. It is what I point out at this time. Now there may be many cities which are on perhaps seven mountains. I believe that the city of Rome is what is meant in this verse.

I said above these chapters are not simple. And we have to make some discriminating discernment between the Harlot (who I will from here on call the Prostitute) and the woman. The two are closely related. Sometimes they overlap, But we should see a difference,

Although the "woman" is Rome which is geographically built on seven mountains, the prostitute cannot also be Rome, because the beast will eventually hate the prostitute, make her deslate, exposeed, robbed of riches, and burnt with fire.

"And the ten horns which you saw and the beast, these will hate the harlot [prostitute] and will make her desolate and naked and will eat her flesh and burn her utterly with fire." (v.16)

Antichrist, I will show latter, is the last Caesar of the Roman empire. If that is so then a Roman empire must be restored or at least the geographic area encompassing what was the ancient Roman empire. And Rome being its capital and the center of this Caesar's seat, he most likely would NOT burn and destroy.

Why would Antichrist destroy his own capital? He would not. So that which is burned and damaged by this Caesar must be something ELSE besides the physical city of Rome.

A question to ask then is what else besides a king's own capital might a king want to destroy ? According to history it should be something riding ON the Roman Empire. She would be something intimately related to the Roman state.

The prostitute or harlot in verse 1 are almost identical. She rides on the politics of the empire until the politics turns to hate her. She rides and derives authority from the Roman empire but is herself devoid of a proper husband. She is devoid of Christ as her husband but contains things related to God, as we will see.

The Prostitute is the Roman Catholic Church the Mother of all the denominations and divisions which came out of her. And the Woman is the city of Rome sitting on seven hills as Rome geographically sits.

This Prostitute is an entity that God has never acknowledge as His spouse as He will the New Jerusalem. Nevertheless, God's people have been captured away and carried off into her just as Babylon captured and carried off the Jews from the Good Land in the Old Testament.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 13:531 edit
    The gold of the cup which the prostitute holds is indicative of the divine nature of God.

" And the woman was clothed in purple and scarlot, and gilded with gold and precious stone and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the unclean things of her fornication." (v.4)

In typology gold signifies the divine nature of God. But the gold related to this prostitute is merely an outward appearance. Something genuinely of God is upon her and with her. But it is not firmly built into her as in the case of the New Jersualem.

The cup is golden. The contents of the cup are corruption. The other gold is only gilded upon outwardly as a facade.

Gold signifies here the divine nature of God. The Roman Catholic Mother of all the divisions of Christianity does have something of God related TO her. But it is GILDED on lightly for outward appearance only.

The gold cup outwardly is related to God's nature. The contents within the cup are unholy and filthy.

If we are Christians we should not take this as pertaining only to other people. The warning of this symbolism is that mixture, pollution, and combining the sinful things in a facade of God's nature is a thing from which we must be delivered.

God is not after only a FACADE of divine things with an inward content of the corrupt. His city of New Jerusalem is a mountain of solid transparent gold. God seeks for His people to be thoroughly constituted with His life and nature.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '15 14:072 edits
    We may see that it seems easy to leave religious Babylon. It is not easy for religious Babylon to leave us. This mixture of that which is of God with that which is corrupted is in our blood. God's salvation is working to rid His people from all mixture of this kind.

Pearls are also the nature of the gates of the Wife the New Jerusalem (Rev.21:21). And the precious stones of the Prostitute are seen also in the New Jerusalem (21:19).

What the Harlot is in the way of gold, precious stones, and pearl is only lightly gilded upon her for a kind of advertising. The same positive symbols are solidly built into the holy city New Jerusalem as the Wife of the Lamb.

The gold points to the Father's nature.
    Pearl points to the Son's poured out life for our salvation.
    Precious stones point to the transforming work of the Holy Spirit.

Something indeed of the Triune God is seen gilded lightly upon the prostitute. For this reason it is easy to protest that she really does have something of God. But these things of God are only lightly gilded upon her. She is not like the Wife who is a city of solid gold - solidly built up in the divine nature of God.

"And the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass." (21:21b)

"... and the city was pure gold, like clear glass." (v.18)

The harlot has something of God but in a mixed way. God seeks to build up a city "wife" in His nature in such a way that man becomes a clear transparent gold city. The light of God Himself shines clearly through. That is what He will marry. The former mixture He does not acknowledge as His Bride and Wife.

As you should be able to see by now, we who believe into Christ are in transition from the impure mixture to the solidly built up purity.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 10:581 edit
    I've read all this with interest, and I've heard this or similar before. This is mainly pretty much mainstream Christian thought on the matter. I agree with most of this (like 95% ) but I have a difference of opinion on exactly what this Harlot of Babylon refers to (and I know Ron does too, although we do not agree with each other either).

But like Kanye West said, "I'ma let you finish." 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree