Reverse Pascal's Wager (NZ variation)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Sounds like a nerdy sex position.

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @vivify
Sounds like a nerdy sex position.
That’s because ‘Wagger’ is misspelled.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
So from your perspective you can only live your 'intellectual life' to the fullest if you remove God from the throne and sit there yourself? ...
Wait, what? The only option is your god or else djbecker is king of the world?!

I know your wording tries to push people around, but I see you painting into a corner.

F

Moves
12 Dec 17

So from your perspective you can only live your 'intellectual life' to the fullest if you remove God from the throne and sit there yourself?
This "throne" you mention is a figment of your imagination and not mine.Asking me a question based on the premise that I am choosing to sit on a "throne" that you know I don't think exists has got to be a logical fallacy of some sort or other.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @sonship
Could you show me the word "afterlife" anywhere in the Bible ?

Did you ever see the word "afterlife" there?[/b]
I really don't know.
What has the bible to do with this thread or my opening post?

btw Could you show me the word "relevance" anywhere in the Harry Potter books?

E

Moves
12 Dec 17

This opening is similar to Pascal's Wager but with colours reversed.

Basically
Assume there is no afterlife and live this life to the fullest.

1. If there is no afterlife,
you were correct. Well done.

2. If there is an afterlife,
you were wrong, but hey, an afterlife! Who would have thought!
You forget, the afterlife could be in one of two places.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Dec 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Why not 5 or 6 places?
Is there a brochure?
Can I have a sea-view?

Moves
13 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @apathist
Wait, what? The only option is your god or else djbecker is king of the world?!

I know your wording tries to push people around, but I see you painting into a corner.
It might dawn upon you at some point in time that people who reject the existence of God become of 'god' of their own little universe. They may not be aware of it but it's quite obvious to those that are able to observe such things.

E

Moves
13 Dec 17

Why not 5 or 6 places?
Is there a brochure?
Can I have a sea-view?
Because there are only two.

You can burn or you can be found righteous. This was the basis of Pascal's statement.

Moves
14 Dec 17
3 edits

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
Pascal's Wager is roughly that one gains everything if belief in God turns out to be correct, yet loses nothing if it is not. But something is, in fact, lost: the many rich and enjoyable life experiences that could have been had if not for all the religious strictures and the many Things Thou Shalt Not Do.
Pascal’s wager was one of Grammy Bobby’s favourite turn-keys in religious debate. Like Pascal (in his thought experiment), he maintained that simply choosing to believe in god was something the intellectual mind could do, whereas in the reality of the Christian spiritual experience, “belief” is a outcome of faith and faith is given not switched on.

Of course atheists would argue that in that scenario “faith” and “belief” are casual adjectives which describe the process of abdication of rationality and evidence based decision making.

Myself, I hold fast to a faith but struggle daily with my own cognitive dissonance as I try to rationalise it, and I cannot. Pascal’s wager was/is a philosophical examination of the probability of gods existence and while it is an interesting intellectual piece of work in itself, it is is not helpful at all for the Christian nor is it a good tool for drawing people to Jesus Christ. In fact I deride this use of it by Christians, for in doing so the proponent displays abject dismissal of the spiritual energy that is faith.

Moves
14 Dec 17

It might dawn upon you at some point in time that people who reject the existence of God become of 'god' of their own little universe. They may not be aware of it but it's quite obvious to those that are able to observe such things.
It’s funny that you say this because this is exactly how I see you.

Moves
14 Dec 17

Originally posted by @eladar
Only if through years and years of brainwashing and an deliberately applied lack of scriptural context such that one interprets the surreal scriptures of Revelation as being literal.

Moves
14 Dec 17

Originally posted by @fmf to Fetchmybecker
As for whether my 'jerk' insult hits the mark is up to onlookers to decide.
Nailed it.

Moves
14 Dec 17

Is divegeester not a part owner of the site?
Your gullibility is extraordinary.

Moves
14 Dec 17
1 edit

This is a claim that divegeester made. If you think he was lying or 'pulling my chain' fair enough.
I am Lord Humongous, the Warrior of the wasteland, the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla.
Give me what I want I will spare your puny life.