1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Reasons? And how well do those reasons stand up to inquiry?

There are plenty of reasons to believe in anything at all.
    Did you say something? Be specific you are quite good at jumping into conversations without really saying anything outside of expressing your displeasure without specific reasons. It was already established there are reasons for and against.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 21:18
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    This opening is similar to Pascal's Wager but with colours reversed.

Basically
    Assume there is no afterlife and live this life to the fullest.

1. If there is no afterlife,
    you were correct. Well done.

2. If there is an afterlife,
    you were wrong, but hey, an afterlife! Who would have thought!
    Just hope your afterlife is not in Hell...
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 22:50
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Just hope your afterlife is not in Hell...
    or Basildon.

or a million other places real or imagined.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:19
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    ... you are quite good at jumping into conversations without really saying anything outside of expressing your displeasure without specific reasons. ...
    Point for kelly. So would you like to try a formal debate? You ever tried that? This site doesn't have the best software for it, but it is a fun and useful activity.

I just said I have more specific reasons than you can handle.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:31
    Point for kelly. So would you like to try a formal debate? You ever tried that? This site doesn't have the best software for it, but it is a fun and useful activity.

Didn’t we try that before?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 10:56

You'd need a moderator, and from what I've seen, NO ONE on this site is a 'neutral observer'.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 11:04
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You'd need a moderator, and from what I've seen, NO ONE on this site is a 'neutral observer'.
    Posters from the non-believer side of the aisle who I think would have the capacity and integrity to put their own beliefs aside and moderate and facilitate a debate fairly if called upon to do so include JS357, BigDoggProblem, wolfgang59, rwingett, moonbus, vivify, karoly aczel, finnegan and several more besides.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 12:27
    They wouldn’t have to be completely neutral just honest. I believe that there’s more than a couple of those here.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 12:30
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    They wouldn’t have to be completely neutral just honest. I believe that there’s more than a couple of those here.
    Do you think you're honest enough to moderate a debate fairly?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 18:35
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Posters from the non-believer side of the aisle who I think would have the capacity and integrity to put their own beliefs aside and moderate and facilitate a debate fairly if called upon to do so include JS357, BigDoggProblem, wolfgang59, rwingett, moonbus, vivify, karoly aczel, finnegan and several more besides.
    How would we know that you haven’t just named all your other account names?
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 19:35
    Being "neutral" all the time is a myth. Everyone is biased. Good moderators are those who can set aside their biases for the sake of the job.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 19:411 edit
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Being "neutral" all the time is a myth. Everyone is biased. Good moderators are those who can set aside their biases for the sake of the job.
    How would an unbeliever set their biases aside when listening to an argument about the supernatural coming from a believer? The setting aside of biases is a myth when dealing with the supernatural.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 22:47
    The site

https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/socstud/frame_found_sr2/tns/tn-13.pdf

Has some ideas on how to do a debate.

But what would a moderator do? A big part would be calling time for the various phases, but text-based debate would more likely be limited on word count.

It seems to me that the first order of business would be to develop a resolution, like “resolved, there is sufficient reason to believe God exists.” But then, is the opposition’s argument “there isn’t sufficient reason to believe God exists” or is it “there is sufficient reason to believe God does not exist”?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 23:18
    Originally posted by @js357
    The site

https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/socstud/frame_found_sr2/tns/tn-13.pdf

Has some ideas on how to do a debate.

But what would a moderator do? A big part would be calling time for the various phases, but text-based debate would more likely be limited on word count.

It seems to me that the first order of business would be to develop a resolu ...[text shortened]... ason to believe God exists” or is it “there is sufficient reason to believe God does not exist”?
    I'd say there would be a lot to work out to be worth while, and worth the effort.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 00:07
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    How would we know that you haven’t just named all your other account names?
    What are you on about?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree