1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 19:04
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    The brain isn't in the material world?

Where, pray tell, does love exist if not in the material world?
    The brain is the connection between the material and the immaterial world. Love is a byproduct of its function through all of its chemical reactions and such yet in and of itself love does not exist in the material world.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 19:04
    Originally posted by Stregone
    Frankly, the Bible, is not a (reliable) source!
    Tell that to Biblical archaelogists. 😛
  3. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 20:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    The brain is the connection between the material and the immaterial world. Love is a byproduct of its function through all of its chemical reactions and such yet in and of itself love does not exist in the material world.
    That it has been defined does not mean it does not exist. Do chairs exist? After all, they're just a byproduct of an arrangement of atoms...
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 22:46
    Tell that to Biblical archaelogists. 😛
    Most of them actually agree that the bible is not a reliable source of information.
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jul '07 22:48
    No. Everything, including the electrical impulses in your skull has a matter-energy basis. Ideas are just the firing of neurons. It's your job to prove otherwise. Prove "magic" or a "soul" or whatever you want to call it exists.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:27
    No. Everything, including the electrical impulses in your skull has a matter-energy basis. Ideas are just the firing of neurons. It's your job to prove otherwise. Prove "magic" or a "soul" or whatever you want to call it exists.
    I have nothing to prove. After all, you are the one with all the answers not me.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:28
    Most of them actually agree that the bible is not a reliable source of information.
    I suppose that is why they use the Bible as a reference then?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 01:28
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    That it has been defined does not mean it does not exist. Do chairs exist? After all, they're just a byproduct of an arrangement of atoms...
    Do you exist, do I exist, who can say?
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 02:08
    I have nothing to prove. After all, you are the one with all the answers not me.
    Yes you do. You are the one appealing to magic.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 02:08
    I suppose that is why they use the Bible as a reference then?
    Probably because they want to make sense of it as a document. Even though religion is false, in fact specifically because it is, it makes it all the more interesting.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 02:203 edits
    Yes you do. You are the one appealing to magic.
    No, I am appealing to the mystery of what makes our minds work the way it works. Sure we can explain things to a certain point in regards to how our minds work. There is a material aspect to it, however, there is also a spiritual aspect to how our minds work and how it all comes together. Please don't tell me you have the answers in regards to such things. For me, the mind is the gateway from the material to the spiritual.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 02:23
    Probably because they want to make sense of it as a document. Even though religion is false, in fact specifically because it is, it makes it all the more interesting.
    No, they could care less about making anything interesting Scotty, they are scientists. Do you use the Bible as a scientist to make your endevours more interesting? In fact, they use the Bible as a reference ONLY because it is an aid in their endevours.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 03:23
    No, I am appealing to the mystery of what makes our minds work the way it works. Sure we can explain things to a certain point in regards to how our minds work. There is a material aspect to it, however, there is also a spiritual aspect to how our minds work and how it all comes together. Please don't tell me you have the answers in regards to such things. For me, the mind is the gateway from the material to the spiritual.
    So magic then.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 03:28
    No, they could care less about making anything interesting Scotty, they are scientists. Do you use the Bible as a scientist to make your endevours more interesting? In fact, they use the Bible as a reference ONLY because it is an aid in their endevours.
    Many points here.

1) How could you know what a biblical archaeologist thinks? Are you one?
    2) Scientists? I didn't know that God was a natural being now?
    3) I never said they use the bible to make anything more interesting. Religion as a phenomenon is inherently interesting as a social and psychological thing.
    4) I have no doubt that they use the bible to aid in their endeavours of studying the factual components of the bible. That'd seem self evident, wouldn't it?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jul '07 09:27
    Many points here.

1) How could you know what a biblical archaeologist thinks? Are you one?
    2) Scientists? I didn't know that God was a natural being now?
    3) I never said they use the bible to make anything more interesting. Religion as a phenomenon is inherently interesting as a social and psychological thing.
    4) I have no doubt that they ...[text shortened]... ours of studying the factual components of the bible. That'd seem self evident, wouldn't it?
    We know what they think from what they write. As far as the Bible being proof that God exists, this is not the focus of the Biblical archaeologist. The only reason I brought them up was that someone said the Bible is not a reliable source. If not, then why are there Biblical archaelogists? You may not agree that it is an accurate spiritual document but it has proven itself to be a valuable historical document thus it has shown itself to be reliable to some degree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree