1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 19:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I didn't really read your St. Paul quote too closely. I would amend it to read as follows:

Vaunting ones good works would bring pride and arrogance. Therefore no man is saved via good works if he should boast.

Better?
    That is one way of looking at it. However, another way of looking at it is that we are EXPECTED to do the right thing. It is akin to having your employer give you a list of expectations to complete and if you don't do them, out you go. There is no pat on the back, there is only an expectation. So what happens when you fail in your expectation? Do you then try and point to all the things you did right?

Yet another way of looking at it is trying to right a wrong. For example, if you take a gun out and shoot someone, what amount of good works makes up for that incident? Do we then say that we can atone for our sins via other good works?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 14:34
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Isn't that what Paul did?
    No it is what you did.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 22:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    That is one way of looking at it. However, another way of looking at it is that we are EXPECTED to do the right thing. It is akin to having your employer give you a list of expectations to complete and if you don't do them, out you go. There is no pat on the back, there is only an expectation. So what happens when you fail in your expectation? Do you the ...[text shortened]... akes up for that incident? Do we then say that we can atone for our sins via other good works?
    Depends on who you shot.

Good works are essential in one sense but in another they are useless unless they are coupled with the right knowledge,(or the right insight-take whichever meaning you want)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree