1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 May '12 16:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Many of the gaffes were deliberate. Bush had studied a way of saying one thing while making your audience hear another. His speeches were carefully crafted and when words sound out of place it is usually intentional - he wanted certain words in his speech and he put them there whether they fit or not.
    I first saw an analysis of this in a childrens magazi ...[text shortened]... the copy. However there is a discussion of it here:
    http://www.figarospeech.com/talk-like-bush
    Here's another speechcrafting genius in action:
    "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"[quote]I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh. . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over HERE in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.
    [/quote]What sticks in the minds of the audience?

Is it really "people...maps...education...everywhere...should...education HERE...help the US...help South Africa...help Iraq...help Asia...build our future...our children" that sticks in the minds of the audience?

or

"She's part of that one-fifth...she's pulling this out of her arse...wow, she actually knows the names of two foreign countries...make that three...and a continent to boot!...woohoo"

If the former, maybe the audience is part of the one-fifth too. 😞
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 May '12 17:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's another speechcrafting genius in action:[quote]"Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"[quote]I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh. . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like su ...[text shortened]... boot!...woohoo"

people have probably seen these but its always good to get a reminder of just how stupid he is.

YouTube
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '12 19:12
    Here's another speechcrafting genius in action:[quote]"Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"[quote]I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh. . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like su ...[text shortened]... boot!...woohoo"

We all use GPS devices now. A map is hardly ever needed.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '12 19:15
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    people have probably seen these but its always good to get a reminder of just how stupid he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMCCkgACDkU
    That is not being stupid. That's just being funny.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 May '12 19:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We all use GPS devices now. A map is hardly ever needed.
    Exactly!! See how dumb she is? 😵
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 May '12 20:02
    Exactly!! See how dumb she is? 😵
    She gave the correct answer. Many people don't have maps... becasue of GPS devices. How can she be dumb?
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 May '12 22:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    She gave the correct answer. Many people don't have maps... becasue of GPS devices. How can she be dumb?
    Let's just say I think the two of you are at a similar level of intelligence.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 May '12 03:09
    Let's just say I think the two of you are at a similar level of intelligence.
    That makes her above average then. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree