1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 15:011 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    And that would lead to an argument ad populum if it did.

So, be my guest. Put your interesting people up and I put up mine.
    No problem.
    So you claim that if I win, you merely say that it is an argument ad populum, yet you still think we should go ahead? Why? What would it achieve if the winner has no valid argument?

And if my winning is an argument ad populum, doesn't that make your original post on the subject an argument ad populum too?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 16:41
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    We've had this conversation numerous times. Does the term 'theistic evolution' ring any bells Ron?

Mainline Protestants, Anglicans, United Methodists, Church of the Nazarene, the Eastern Orthodox Church are Christian denominations who accept the premise that all life on this planet evolved from a common ancestor. Creationist Christians are actually in the minority.
    I am aware of theistic evolution. I believe that is contrary to the teachings of creation in the Holy Bible.

You mentioned United Methodists in your list. I know something about United Methodists because my wife is a member of the UMC and I have attended services with her before. My experience is that the majority of the members do not agree with the oficial statements on evolution adopted by a small committee in 2008.

The United Methodist Church’s official position, found in the Book of Discipline, is that “science’s descriptions of cosmological, geological and biological evolution are not in conflict with theology.”

General Conference 2008 approved that language, as well as a resolution opposing using “faith based theories such as creationism or intelligent design” in public school science curriculums.

The Rev. Dale Shunk, pastor of First United Methodist Church in Somerset, Pa., introduced petitions at General Conference 2012 to remove the language about evolution from the Book of Discipline and to remove from the Book of Resolutions the call for public schools not to teach creationism or intelligent design in science courses.

Both petitions failed in committee. Another proposal, put forward by Cathy Preston of Erie, Pa., would have changed the Book of Discipline language from “We find that science’s descriptions of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution are not in conflict with theology” to “We find that science’s descriptions of cosmology, geology and biology are not in conflict with theology.” That petition passed in committee by a vote of 40 in favor and 29 against, but did not get a plenary vote.

Of his own views, Shunk said, “I would lean toward creationism because I believe in the authority of the word of God … Evolution assumes and expects only natural explanations of the processes on Earth. It excludes any supernatural explanations.”

Shunk points to Australian physicist John Hartnett and other Christian scientists who hold creationist, “young universe” views. To Shunk, the United Methodist Church errs by what he sees as its bias for evolution over other theories.

“We should open up all the doors,” he said.

http://www.umc.org/news-and-media/science-and-faith-9th-evolution-weekend-ahead
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am aware of theistic evolution. I believe that is contrary to the teachings of creation in the Holy Bible.

You mentioned United Methodists in your list. I know something about United Methodists because my wife is a member of the UMC and I have attended services with her before. My experience is that the majority of the members do not agree with the of ...[text shortened]... said.[/quote]

People like you are a blight on religion. Your so-called efforts do nothing but split your religion into fighting factions. Is that what you feel is the most spiritual way to get to your heaven?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    http://www.reviewevolution.com/press/pressRelease_100Scientists.php

"The numbers of scientists who question Darwinism is a minority, but it is growing fast," said Stephen Meyer, a Cambridge-educated philosopher of science who directs the Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture at Discovery Institute. "This is happening in the face of fierce attempts ...[text shortened]... Tumlin: Assoc. Prof. of Medicine: Emory U. Charles Thaxton: PhD Physical Chemistry-Iowa State U.
    Didn't I post something like this before?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 23:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    People like you are a blight on religion. Your so-called efforts do nothing but split your religion into fighting factions. Is that what you feel is the most spiritual way to get to your heaven?
    I haven't made any effort to split Christianity. My efforts should unit the believers who wish to stand up for the truth of scripture.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 23:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Let's be clear, here.

The universe WAS created.

But God chose the natural physical laws of this dimension to do it, i.e. the BB, modern cosmology and Evolution.
    No Suzianne, God spoke the universe into creation. God spoke the "natural physical laws" into creation. God used no instrument other than His Word and power to create from nothing all you see.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 01:20

You mentioned United Methodists in your list. I know something about United Methodists because my wife is a member of the UMC and I have attended services with her before. My experience is that the majority of the members do not agree with the of ...[text shortened]... said.[/quote]

The majority of members? There are 12 million of them!!! How can you have experience of 12 million people?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 04:52
    The majority of members? There are 12 million of them!!! How can you have experience of 12 million people?
    I am referring to the majority of the members with which I had experience. Of course, I have not had experience with all the UMC members everywhere. But neither could that small group of people in that committee in 2008. The majority of a committee can not change the beliefs of the majority of the members just by approving a new statement on their own.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 07:12
    I am referring to the majority of the members with which I had experience. Of course, I have not had experience with all the UMC members everywhere. But neither could that small group of people in that committee in 2008. The majority of a committee can not change the beliefs of the majority of the members just by approving a new statement on their own.
    Committees tend to be representative of their organisation.
    Otherwise the members leave.

Do you belong to any group or organisation?
    (Assuming one would have you.)
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 07:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Committees tend to be representative of their organisation.
    Otherwise the members leave.

Do you belong to any group or organisation?
    (Assuming one would have you.)
    Members often attempt to petition for changes to return to their old beliefs before leaving, which is what is happening in the UMC.

I am a member of Southern Baptist, but inactive at present.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 10:16
    Be that as it may, you still haven't come close to substantiating your claim that the majority of the people in the denominations I listed believe in creation by God.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 12:19
    http://www.reviewevolution.com/press/pressRelease_100Scientists.php

"The numbers of scientists who question Darwinism is a minority, but it is growing fast," said Stephen Meyer, a Cambridge-educated philosopher of science who directs the Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture at Discovery Institute. "This is happening in the face of fierce attempts ...[text shortened]... Tumlin: Assoc. Prof. of Medicine: Emory U. Charles Thaxton: PhD Physical Chemistry-Iowa State U.
    and of that wall of scientists, which one was quoted out of context?

there is a reason we don't talk about the theory of Darwin. we have made progress, we know things Darwin couldn't possibly have.

so if you go to an evolutionist and ask him if all darwin said is true, obviously he will say no and proceed to tell you where we improved.

i don't suppose you listened though.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 12:22
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_evolutionary_synthesis
  14. Germany
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 15:20
    Can you imagine the financial hit the scientific community would take if they didn't keep the party line?

Not much money in the belief that the universe was created. Evolution is a very lucrative hoax.
    I strongly suspect there is more money in discussing various creation myths than there is in researching evolutionary biology.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 17:45
    Be that as it may, you still haven't come close to substantiating your claim that the majority of the people in the denominations I listed believe in creation by God.
    When did any of those religious organization denounce their belief in creation by God?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree