1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 01:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    None of the bible was written by anyone who had ever met Jesus personally. It was all second, third and fourth hand information. Things the authors had heard about Jesus as it was filtered through the years.

Matthew 16:28 clearly indicates that the kingdom was expected imminently. What Jesus preached was how to live in this world in a way that would bring the kingdom to fruition.
    Easy explination on the scripture: Jesus’ words recorded at Matthew 16:28: “Truly I say to you that there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.” Some may feel that these words were not fulfilled because all of Jesus’ disciples who were present when he said those words died before the establishment of God’s Kingdom in the heavens. The Interpreter’s Bible even says of this verse: “The prediction was not fulfilled, and later Christians found it necessary to explain that it was metaphorical.”
    However, the context of this verse, as well as that of the parallel accounts by Mark and Luke, helps us understand the real meaning of the scripture. What did Matthew relate right after the words quoted above? He wrote: “Six days later Jesus took Peter and James and John his brother along and brought them up into a lofty mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them.” (Matthew 17:1, 2) Both Mark and Luke also linked Jesus’ comment about the Kingdom with the account of the transfiguration. (Mark 9:1-8; Luke 9:27-36) Jesus’ coming in Kingdom power was demonstrated in his transfiguration, his appearing in glory in the presence of the three apostles. Peter verifies this understanding by speaking of “the power and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ” with regard to his witnessing Jesus’ transfiguration.—2 Peter 1:16-18.

So yes these men did not see death because Jesus showed them then what the Kingdom and he himself ruling it would appear like. Then of course they did eventually die.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 02:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    The question was, 'would you like to be proven wrong?'

'Don't waste your time' is ambiguous. For one thing I never "waste" time.

Is it because you think you're smarter than me? Maybe better informed? Or is it because you can't handle confrontation?
    Joseph, my dear, did you ever doubt for a second that I think I'm smarter than your are?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 18:17
    Joseph, my dear, did you ever doubt for a second that I think I'm smarter than your are?
    Good work josephw. Now you have the confirmation you wanted. 😏
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 18:391 edit
    In the matter of coming forward to the living God one should not put too much confidence on smartness.

Ie. "Because I am very smart, and keen in mental ability, I surely will be able to ascertain the truth of God. But because this next fellow is rather dull and less gifted, he will not be able to ascertain the truth about God."

I would only caution you. This confidence is itself not wise.
    Look at the natural world. Some of the most essential things to our survival are made by the Creator available to all.

If the drinking of water were only allowed to those who could master the chemistry of what H2O is made up of, then maybe only chemistry students could drink.

If AIR were only made available to those with high education in Wheather, or Chemistry, or Physics, then may most of us would die because we were not allowed to take a breath.

I am not saying that God favors the dull.
    I am not saying it is not good to learn more and more.

With God it is good to humble one's self and realize that prayer and openess of heart to God can be achieved by nearly everyone. We are all on a level playing field. Something in the heart God looks for. It is not merely a nimble intellect that He wants to reveal truth to.

To know God is as vital as to drink water or the be able to breath air.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 18:55
    Originally posted by jaywill
    In the matter of coming forward to the living God one should not put too much confidence on smartness.

Ie. "Because I am very smart, and keen in mental ability, I surely will be able to ascertain the truth of God. But because this next fellow is rather dull and less gifted, he will not be able to ascertain the truth about God."

I would only caution ...[text shortened]... reveal truth to.

That's just arrant nonsense. If you can't drink water you die in a few days. If you can't breath you die in a few minutes. I haven't known god for years and years and I don't even feel a bit sick.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 19:30
    Man made intellagence has nothing to do with being approved by God or being able to understand the Bible. In fact God says he looks for the simple and uneducated ones to teach his ways to.
    Why is that? It's because of the heart. God looks to that to see who we are inside and not what we have in our brain.
    And the reason that he does not look for the highly educated is because of the haughtyness that usually traps those with that man inspired education.
    Not that in itself is wrong to progress with knowledge as long as one keeps their heart in place and would always give God the credit for the ability as a human to learn and give credit to God for what we learn about the universe and all that is in it..
  7. Joined
    14 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 04:17
    I think it is interesting to consider how the Bible was written - even just from the viewpoint developed in the Bible itself. That would certainly be one valid source of 'opinion' on that subject. Some books, like Revelation, the last book in the New Testament, were 'written by request'.

Revelation 1:9-11 says, I John, your brother and fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and endurance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 I was in spirit on the Lord's Day and heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11 Saying, What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches...

But not all books of the New Testament were 'commissioned' like that. Some are letters written to churches or individuals that were preserved. The first four books of the New Testament are stories of the life of Jesus.

I believe the first 5 books of the Old Testament were also commissioned by God.

Some of the books of the prophets in the Old Testament are records of God's speaking to the prophet, as noted in Joel 1:1-2 The word of the LORD that came to Joel, the son of Pethuel: Hear this, O elders, And listen, all inhabitants of the land. Has anything like this happened in your days Or in your fathers' days?

Some parts of the Bible may be difficult to understand, but I believe it was written to be understood.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 05:22
    Originally posted by RLH
    I think it is interesting to consider how the Bible was written - even just from the viewpoint developed in the Bible itself. That would certainly be one valid source of 'opinion' on that subject. Some books, like Revelation, the last book in the New Testament, were 'written by request'.

Revelation 1:9-11 says, I John, your brother and fellow partaker in the ...[text shortened]... he Bible may be difficult to understand, but I believe it was written to be understood.
    Clearly, it was written for our benefit, somwthing we should not ignore.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 14:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Clearly, it was written for our benefit, somwthing we should not ignore.
    Yes it was. The bible was written for mans benefit and is one beautiful gift from our God.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 15:05
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes it was. The bible was written for mans benefit and is one beautiful gift from our God.
    sometimes RJH is alright. 🙂
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 16:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat

That's just arrant nonsense. If you can't drink water you die in a few days. If you can't breath you die in a few minutes. I haven't known god for years and years and I don't even feel a bit sick.
    And yet neither do you have eternal life, as promised by Jesus Christ.

If you did, then this quote would not be "nonsense" to you.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And yet neither do you have eternal life, as promised by Jesus Christ.

If you did, then this quote would not be "nonsense" to you.
    How do you know I don't have eternal life?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:45
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    How do you know I don't have eternal life?
    You refuse to drink of the living water offered by Christ. 😏
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:52
    You refuse to drink of the living water offered by Christ. 🙄
    just another empty promise. one can choose from many.

you either have eternal 'existence' or you don't. no being can grant it to you nor take it away from you.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:43
    You refuse to drink of the living water offered by Christ. (idiot smug face deleted)
    I was talking to Suzianne. I'm really not interested in discussing anything with you on account of your lack of integrity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree