1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    To know God is as vital as to drink water or the be able to breath air.

That's just arrant nonsense. If you can't drink water you die in a few days. If you can't breath you die in a few minutes. I haven't known god for years and years and I don't even feel a bit sick.
    That's just arrant nonsense. If you can't drink water you die in a few days. If you can't breath you die in a few minutes. I haven't known god for years and years and I don't even feel a bit sick.

It is an analogy to show that God has made the most vital things to human life available.

You boast "I am not sick". In comparison to normal we are sick.
    Compared to "average" you may feel you are as healthy as the next person.

You should know that that One who establishes what normal is in human life puts you next to His Son Jesus Christ.

You may protest - "But I don't WANT to be compared to Jesus Christ. I refuse for God to stack me up next to Jesus Christ."

You won't be able to change the scale. The scale is simply Who it is. It was not set by my authority or your authority. It was set by God.

There are many people who feel ok until it is revealed to them that a cancer is growing and spreading in thier body. So it is with the corrupting of the old man under the fallen sinful nature. We need saving from both the guilt and the power of indwelling sin.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 22:00
    Originally posted by jaywill

It is an analogy to show that God has made the most vital things to human life available.

You boast "I am not sick". In comparison to n ...[text shortened]... sinful nature. We need saving from both the guilt and the power of indwelling sin.
    It's not a very good analogy, because you do need air and water but you don't need any sort of 'god' in your life.

How much of your religion is left when you exclude all the stuff you got from scripture? And all the stuff that other people told you that they got from scripture? Not much. Why do you believe all that scripture? Why don't you consider it with the same sort of intellectual rigour you apply to stuff you haven't already accepted as true?
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 22:319 edits
    It's not a very good analogy, because you do need air and water but you don't need any sort of 'god' in your life.

How much of your religion is left when you exclude all the stuff you got from scripture? And all the stuff that other people told you that they got from scripture? Not much. Why do you believe all that scripture? Why don't you ...[text shortened]... same sort of intellectual rigour you apply to stuff you haven't already accepted as true?

If I am going to be a human being, I have to be a Christian. Scripture has convinced me of that. And if I am going to be a Christian, I have to be a victorious one.

Do you have something to offer me more precious and of more superlative value and worth than Jesus Christ and eternal life ?

Do you have something more precious to offer me besides the truth ? You know the truth shall make you free.

How much of your religion is left when you exclude all the stuff you got from scripture?

I don't consider my Christ as a religion. My Christ is a living Person. He is an unusual Person. That I have to admit. But He is a living Person.

I don't think God is the God of religion. I count God as the God of reality.

And all the stuff that other people told you that they got from scripture?

Do you mean "all that stuff" divinely inspired and written over 1600 years by 40 different authors with a miraculous and marvelous consistency ?

I have been persuaded that nothing made by man can compare to "all that stuff" that is revealed in the Bible. And that "stuff" has brought the living God into my life, and that forever.

What could possibly be more precious than Christ Himself. It is not a new place to live you need. It is not more stuff. It is not a new material object. It is a Friend and Savior like Jesus who truly loves to the uttermost YOU.

We all need love. And you will never, never, ever find a purer love than the love of Jesus.

The Greatful Dead had at least one thing correct. I saw them years ago and they ended their concert with a little song that ended in:

"I love you. But Jesus loves you best. So I bid you goodnight. Goodnight. Goodnight." - The Greatful Dead

I am sure the Greatful Dead were probably just singin out a good old American Gospel camp song. I didn't know it that night, but the day came when I discovered the powerful truth of that little song.

"Jesus loves you BEST."

Not much. Why do you believe all that scripture? Why don't you consider it with the same sort of intellectual rigour you apply to stuff you haven't already accepted as true?

We have churches on the five continents as communities. We have millions in China, brothers in all countries. We have a big family where I could go to many cities around the world and call and simply say - " I am a brother in Christ. May I come and meet with you all, come and enjoy a good fellowship and hospitality with you brothers and sisters."

www.localchurches.org

There is such a sweet fellowship around the whole world. I am SO very RICH in Christ's kingdom. Jesus loves us BEST. And He spoke truth -

"Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things will be added to you."

I have victory over sin and death. I have the whole universe and that for ETERNITY.

Sorry to see you miss out on all the enjoyment. But I will pray for you that God have mercy on you also, and open the eyes of your heart.

" I love you. But Jesus loves you best.
    So I bid you Goodnight. Goodnight. Goodnight!"
    - The More Grateful Resurrected.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 22:49

How much of your religion is left when you exclude all the stuff you got from scripture? And all the stuff that other people told you that they got from scripture? Not much. Why do you believe all that scripture? Why don't you ...[text shortened]... same sort of intellectual rigour you apply to stuff you haven't already accepted as true?
    It is nice to know God is there, if we do need Him. Evetyhing we believe
    requires different amounts of faith depending on our knowledge and
    understanding. It would take more faith for me to believe that, instead of
    an intelligent being, like God, created the heavens and the Earth and the
    living things on purpose, an accident occured and evolution took over. But
    I am in no way saying you can't believe that if you want. I just believe
    that the evidence is on the side of God, as the intelligent designer.
  5. Joined
    14 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 04:41
    I believe the Samaritan woman that Jesus spoke to in John 4 got a drink of the living water that day.

John 4:10, 14 say, describing this water,
    Jesus answered and said to her, If you knew the gift of God and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water. ... But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall by no means thirst forever; but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water gushing up into eternal life.

There was an ongoing, developing discussion. Later in the chapter, I believe she got the 'drink'.

4:25 The woman said to Him, I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when He comes, He will declare all things to us.

4:26 Jesus said to her, I, who speak to you, am He.

Her believing Jesus was her drinking.

Interestingly enough, her drinking was His food - He was satisfied that she drank. John 4:31-32 says, In the meantime, the disciples urged Him, saying, Rabbi, eat. But He said to them, I have food to eat that you do not know about.

An fascinating section about drinking the living water.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 15:30
    Originally posted by RLH
    I believe the Samaritan woman that Jesus spoke to in John 4 got a drink of the living water that day.

Jesus answered and said to her, If you knew the gift of God and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water. ... But whoever drinks of the water th ...[text shortened]... to eat that you do not know about.

Right. Her believing was her drinking and also her worship. Stick around RLH.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 15:36
    Originally posted by RLH

Jesus answered and said to her, If you knew the gift of God and who it is who says to you, Give Me a drink, you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water. ... But whoever drinks of the water th ...[text shortened]... to eat that you do not know about.

How does someone join a chess site never play a game and then over three years later turn up in the spirituality forum? How does that work?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 15:43
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How does someone join a chess site never play a game and then over three years later turn up in the spirituality forum? How does that work?
    I invited him. Been so for long time.

How does someone show up at the Spirituality Forum and post hundreds of messages none of which are ever worth anything of spiritual value ? In fact he hangs around to continually deny there is any spiritual dimension to life.

How does that work ?

Want to play chess ?
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 16:001 edit
    I'm beginning to see a pattern:

RJHinds: fundamentalist Christian nutjob - suspected to be an idiot and/or a troll
    RBHILL: fundamentalist Christian nutjob - confirmed idiot
    RLH: fundamentalist (level of craziness to be determined)

All beginning with capital 'R', third letter capital 'H' and fundamentalists (nobody else who posts in this forum failing to be a fundamentalist has both of the first two traits)
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 16:451 edit

How does someone show up at the Spirituality Forum and post hundreds of messages none of which are ever worth anything of spiritual value ? In fact he hangs around to continually deny there is any spiritual dimension to life.

How does that work ?

Want to play chess ?

Well that explains it then.

You seriously think your diatribe posts have any spiritual value? They're just the delusional witterings of an arrogant, self-obsessed vanity-boy............in my opinion of course, but i get the feeling i'm not alone in having that view.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 17:202 edits
    [b]I invited him. Been so for long time.

Well that explains it then.

You seriously think your diatribe posts have any spiritual value? They're just the delusional witterings of an arrogant, self-obsessed vanity-boy............in my opinion of course, but i get the feeling i'm not alone in having that view.[/b]
    Do you really think you're a "Tough Guy" ?

HAH !!

My posts are not diatribes. Most of them are very positive.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 20:00

If I am going to be a human being, I have to be a Christian. Scripture has convinced me of that. And if I am going to be a Christian, I have to be a victorious one.

Do you have something to offer me more precious and o ...[text shortened]... night. Goodnight. Goodnight!"
    - The More Grateful Resurrected.[/b]
    What is it with you and these walls of text? Does anybody actually read all through them?

Aaanyway, here's as far as I got:

You don't have to be a christian. You choose to be one. How anyone can argue with such vigour against reason and logic while failing to apply even the remotest semblance of scepticism to a collection of pre-scientific stories liberally peppered with miracle and magic is quite beyond me. And let's wait until after this 'rapture' of yours before we judge you 'victorious' eh?

Do you have something to offer me more precious and of more superlative value and worth than Jesus Christ and eternal life ?

I offer you nothing. Alas, your false ideology obscures from you the value of this.

Do you have something more precious to offer me besides the truth ? You know the truth shall make you free.

I have freedom you can't even imagine from the confines of your faith. Your 'Truth' is only true from your blinkered viewpoint. Take a step to the side and it becomes a tissue of imagination and confusion.

I don't consider my Christ as a religion. My Christ is a living Person. He is an unusual Person. That I have to admit. But He is a living Person.

I don't think God is the God of religion. I count God as the God of reality.

Yes, of course, but without the stuff you got from these old shepherd's stories, what do you know about it? Nothing. Why, I ask again, do you not apply the same intellectual rigour to your scripture as you do to, say, evolutionary theory? Nothing in your post addresses this issue.

I can't be bothered to continue discussing your abominably long post on a point by point basis, sorry. I'm just not that interested in helping you out of your brainwashing!

If it makes you happy, good for you.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 20:33
    Originally posted by buckky
    It seems that if it was very very important that people understand the nature of God, and what you must do to please a God, and all the specifics needed to have an afterlife, you would communicate in a more direct and clear manner than with the confusion of Scripture .
    Perhaps the writers were raving lunatics, or perhaps, just perhaps, their purpose was quite different from that commonly attributed to them (an instruction manual for building a cosmic telephone), although it might be difficult for us to understand that purpose (possibly irrelevant to us now in any case).
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 20:34

HAH !!

My posts are not diatribes. Most of them are very positive.

I can deadlift 210kgs/462lbs, i reckon that puts me in the 'TG' category.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Feb '12 21:04
    [b]Do you really think you're a "Tough Guy" ?

I can deadlift 210kgs/462lbs, i reckon that puts me in the 'TG' category.[/b]
    Congradulations. You're strong from exercise.

One can exercise spiritually also.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree