1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 12:18
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    A lazy answer for you:

"The Christianity promoted by the Nazis was labeled “positive Christianity,” a perspective that focused on the relationship between Christian promises of salvation and the German Volk as a special race of people. Point 24 of the NSDAP Party Program, created in 1920 and never rescinded, reads:

“We demand freedom for all rel ...[text shortened]... mmunism, and religious values. "

http://atheism.about.com/od/bookreviews/fr/HolyReich.htm
    Here, here.

Ol' Adolf was all about reform and returning the Fatherland to its former God-ordained glory (likely in reaction to the assault on biblical inerrancy which began in the mid- to late-1800's, but that's another story).

One recent 'fiery' reformer comes to mind when considering the rhetoric of Adolf's speeches: Alan Keyes. Electricfying, passionate. Quite the charismatic firebrand for the politicized 'Christian right.' Very scary stuff, really.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:45
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Hey, we seem to have caught one on the line here.

Secularity is the state of being free from religious or spiritual qualities, and here we are talking about the state, from which the secularist wishes to expunge the religious aspect, by definition.

Please post links supporting this persecution of atheists in the Third Reich. This is something I am unfamil ...[text shortened]... religious? Please. Or communism.

Refute the point with evidence or argumentation, if you can.
    http://www.nobeliefs.com/mementoes.htm

An excellent site depicting many artifacts that document the close relationship between Christianity and Nazism.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Here, here.

Ol' Adolf was all about reform and returning the Fatherland to its former God-ordained glory (likely in reaction to the assault on biblical inerrancy which began in the mid- to late-1800's, but that's another story).

One recent 'fiery' reformer comes to mind when considering the rhetoric of Adolf's speeches: Alan Keyes. Electricfying, pa ...[text shortened]... charismatic firebrand for the politicized 'Christian right.' Very scary stuff, really.
    Yes, I think sjeg was sorely mistaken to lump Nazi Germany under secular states. As for its persecution of atheists, from what I've been reading over the past few days, the Nazi party targeted them primarily because of association with communism, an ideology the Nazi's worked hard to stamp out.

His example of the Soviet Union (or communist states in general) was better. I don't think however that this implies that secular states are doomed to generating heinous atrocities (after all there are many officially secular states functioning just fine today). Pol Pot, Stalin, and Mao Zedong remind me not of the dangers of keeping religion out of government, but rather of the dangers of concentrating power in a tiny unchecked minority.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:48
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One recent 'fiery' reformer comes to mind when considering the rhetoric of Adolf's speeches: Alan Keyes. Electricfying, passionate. Quite the charismatic firebrand for the politicized 'Christian right.' Very scary stuff, really.
    Fascists do tend to depict communists (their polar opposites) as immoral. Communists turn into fascists by some process I don't quite understand. A principle of reversibility seems to be at play.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    His example of the Soviet Union (or communist states in general) was better. I don't think however that this implies that secular states are doomed to generating heinous atrocities (after all there are many officially secular states functioning just fine today).
    After all Great Britain and the USA, who played no small part in removing Nazism, were also secular states.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 14:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    http://www.nobeliefs.com/mementoes.htm

An excellent site depicting many artifacts that document the close relationship between Christianity and Nazism.
    Elegant and tasteful..."Gott mit uns"..."in God we trust"...
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 15:25
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Elegant and tasteful..."Gott mit uns"..."in God we trust"...
    And then there's:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/nazis.htm

which has many photos of Nazis fraternizing with Cardinals and Bishops, clergy giving the Nazi salute, and various Nazis engaged in christian services.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:01
    Originally posted by telerion
    Yes, I think sjeg was sorely mistaken to lump Nazi Germany under secular states. As for its persecution of atheists, from what I've been reading over the past few days, the Nazi party targeted them primarily because of association with communism, an ideology the Nazi's worked hard to stamp out.

His example of the Soviet Union (or communist states in g ...[text shortened]... of government, but rather of the dangers of concentrating power in a tiny unchecked minority.
    The problem with Stalin's anti-theism wasn't really related to secularism, but with an active repression of religion.

Although I favour laicist states over secular states, I must say that neither secular states nor theocratic states are, by definition, actively repressive. It can just mean that one current of thought is privileged over another, which I believe is not tantamount to repression.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The problem with Stalin's anti-theism wasn't really related to secularism, but with an active repression of religion.

Although I favour laicist states over secular states, I must say that neither secular states nor theocratic states are, by definition, actively repressive. It can just mean that one current of thought is privileged over another, which I believe is not tantamount to repression.
    Theocratic states may not be repressive by definition, but in practice they invariably are. History and current affairs are replete with examples from which to choose. The maxim that theocracies work toward the detriment of both government and of religion, holds true by a wide margin.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:41
    Theocratic states may not be repressive by definition, but in practice they invariably are. History and current affairs are replete with examples from which to choose. The maxim that theocracies work toward the detriment of both government and of religion, holds true by a wide margin.
    The UK is a good counter example. Examples prove nothing and, for the theist, one good example suffices.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 16:54
    The UK is a good counter example. Examples prove nothing and, for the theist, one good example suffices.
    Having a state religion and having a theocracy are not the same thing. Iran is a theocracy. The UK is not.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 17:091 edit
    Having a state religion and having a theocracy are not the same thing. Iran is a theocracy. The UK is not.
    The Queen is head of state and head of the state church. how is that not a theocracy?
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 17:25
    The Queen is head of state and head of the state church. how is that not a theocracy?
    The church does not run the state. If anything, it's more the other way around. If the Archbishop of Canterbury was the head of state, or had great influence in the running of the state, then maybe you'd have a theocracy. With the repeal of The Test and Corporation Acts, in 1829, one need not even be a member of the Church of England to hold public office. I repeat: the UK is no theocracy.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Oct '06 17:39
    The church does not run the state. If anything, it's more the other way around. If the Archbishop of Canterbury was the head of state, or had great influence in the running of the state, then maybe you'd have a theocracy. With the repeal of The Test and Corporation Acts, in 1829, one need not even be a member of the Church of England to hold public office. I repeat: the UK is no theocracy.
    Do you agree that the UK is a monarchy? And that it's monarch is Head of State?

As defined by its CONSTITUTION, the monarch is both Head of State and Fidei Defensor (defender of the faith) of the State Church.

If you don't think that qualifies as a theocracy, all I can say is that you'll have a hard time finding examples of theocracies.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Oct '06 06:16
    Do you agree that the UK is a monarchy? And that it's monarch is Head of State?

As defined by its CONSTITUTION, the monarch is both Head of State and Fidei Defensor (defender of the faith) of the State Church.

If you don't think that qualifies as a theocracy, all I can say is that you'll have a hard time finding examples of theocracies.
    The monarch (head of state) was made the head of the church in an effort to make the church more subservient to the state and limit it's independance. Bishops and Archbishops are chosen by the Prime Minister and sent to the monarch for formal nomination. That does not constitute a theocracy, regardless of the dual role of the figurehead monarch. If the Archbishops were choosing the monarch or the Prime Minister, then you'd have a theocracy. As it is, the Church of England has very little involvement in the running of the civil state as they run their own affairs largely independant from one another, despite having a monarch who is nominally in charge of both.

This contrasts with Iran, for example, where Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is the Supreme Leader of Iran and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is second in authority to him. Candidates for public office must be approved by a Council of Guardians, which consists of six clerics chosen by the Supreme Leader and six other members, to insure that their interpretation of Islam is being upheld. In other words, the civil state is subservient to the clerics in every respect. The clerics are instrumental in choosing the magistrates for the civil state and in determining both the political and religious character of the nation. THAT is a theocracy in action.

Present day Iran, Afghanistan under the Taliban, and the Papal States under the Pope were all examples of theocracies. The UK, on the other hand, is not a theocracy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree