1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 21:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    Why are the topics being chosen by the judges? Will we, the sermonizers, have an oppertunity to pick our own topic?

I have no idea why I'm even asking! It doesn't really matter to me.
    We will likely have an "open" round at some point. Just kind of look at this as the "lectionary." In case you don't know what that is, many churches follow the same set of OT, NT, Psalms and gospel readings and the sermon comes from one of those. This is good in that it forces the pastor to utilize passages that he would not normally use.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 21:54
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Is "confessional mood" still a requirement?
    It goes with the music.
    Entertainment at a price you can afford. All we ever asked for. (Zip up, we're done.)
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 22:231 edit
    I thought I might post the rules again for convenience.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The BWA is going to sponsor a sermon competition to help meet the preaching needs of some in this forum. There are some rulz, so listen up.

1) You must stay on the topic or theme that I name. It's kind of like Iron Chef where you don't know the ingredient.

2) Limit your sermon to 5 minutes max. If your post is as long as a Nemesio post, I will disqualify you.

3) No copy/paste crap. All original and from your heart.

4) You can cite only ONE, I repeat ONE scripture passage to support your sermon.

5) The judges will offer helpful commentary so as to help your proclamation skills.

6) All religions are welcome to participate.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We [the judges] will evaluate 1) how you stay on topic, 2) how creatively you use your chosen Scripture passage, 3) keeping in integrity with the passage, 4) use of confessional (talking about yourself in relationship to your passage) preaching and 5) How persuasive you are in your writing.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 22:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    We will likely have an "open" round at some point. Just kind of look at this as the "lectionary." In case you don't know what that is, many churches follow the same set of OT, NT, Psalms and gospel readings and the sermon comes from one of those. This is good in that it forces the pastor to utilize passages that he would not normally use.
    So, I'm being forced into this thing. That's good to know, because there's no way I would do this voluntarily.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 22:31
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I thought I might post the rules again for convenience.

The BWA is going to sponsor a sermon competition to help meet the preaching needs of some in thi ...[text shortened]... self in relationship to your passage) preaching and 5) How persuasive you are in your writing.
    Thank you. That was a good idea as we have so many ADHD people who are interested in preaching.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 22:33
    So, I'm being forced into this thing. That's good to know, because there's no way I would do this voluntarily.
    Merciful Jesus in Heaven! Look at the CHOICES you were given. You have four choices. Surely you must feel a kinship with one of them. Tell the truth, are really afraid your daughter will best you in this?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 22:53
    Merciful Jesus in Heaven! Look at the CHOICES you were given. You have four choices. Surely you must feel a kinship with one of them. Tell the truth, are really afraid your daughter will best you in this?
    I do hope you know I was joking.

When I got to my daughters house this afternoon I had at first scolded her for revealing our kinship, but then I encouraged her to get in on the fun.

Don't forget I taught her everything she knows, and she still doesn't know anything!
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jun '07 23:25
    I do hope you know I was joking.

When I got to my daughters house this afternoon I had at first scolded her for revealing our kinship, but then I encouraged her to get in on the fun.

Don't forget I taught her everything she knows, and she still doesn't know anything!
    I'll try not to hold that against her.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    21 Jun '07 01:14
    Limit your sermon to 5 minutes max. If your post is as long as a Nemesio post, I will disqualify you.
    There's gonna be a beat down in yar.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 17:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Submissions will be due by this Sunday night, with evaluations to commence on Monday.
    I petition the judges to (slightly) postpone the deadline. Just a request, but it would be nice.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 18:10
    I petition the judges to (slightly) postpone the deadline. Just a request, but it would be nice.
    Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Did God rest on the 8th or 9th day? I don't think so. It would be nice to be able to covet my neighbor's wife, but that doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it.
  12. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 20:021 edit
    When I was younger, it was my mother who taught my brothers and I to pray. Nuns made sure we got the words right, and my father made sure we prayed the rosary every Saturday night, but it was my mother who taught us to pray. Whether it was a vigil for a sick or (more often) injured child, or when she thought one of us needed forgiveness or to forgive each other, her actions spoke volumes. She didn't just send us off for the sacraments. She made sure we understood them – not just once, either. Any occasion could be a catechetical moment.

My mother wasn't unusual; my friends' mothers were the same. While the men went to work, the mothers were the pastoral leaders, even if they too worked. They instilled the values and education at home that the Franciscans instilled at school. So imagine my surprise the day I learned that the sacraments were really “seven for men, six for women.”

I had a hard time grasping this. Wasn't Mary mentioned far more often than Joseph? Mary was our Mother, whereas Joseph was merely the foster father of Jesus and barely worth mentioning apparently. So why is it that women were denied the opportunity to become pastoral leaders on a larger scale than just within their immediate homes?

Years later, I'm still asking that same question. It can't be due to claims that males are morally superior. The majority of clergy in all denominations is male, and their moral superiority withers with each accusation of sexual abuse. No denomination has been exempt from this ethical bankruptcy. People are leaving their faiths in droves because of these abuses as well as how their handled. Now is the time to return women to their rightful leadership roles.

Jesus Himself affirms this in Luke 11:33 when He says “No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a bowl; instead it is put on the lampstand, so that people may see the light as they come in.” My brothers and sisters in Christ, our women are this light. Every one of you sitting here can name a woman who remains holy in spite of the troubles around her. For many of you, that woman is your mother, your aunt, your grandmother, your wife, your sister, or your neighbor. You know that she leads by example. You know that she has ministered to others in the way that Jesus taught us. You know that she has prayed fervently and selflessly over the years. Jesus has lit that lamp, and yet we hid these women under a bowl as we proclaim that only men may be leaders.

At this time of crisis in our churches especially, it is time to raise up these women and put them on our lampstands. It is time for us to let them be lights that guide us through these troubled times as God has called them, not hide them as jealous men would. Let their lights beckon and welcome all who are troubled, all who seek love and forgiveness and healing, all who seek our loving Creator. Let us say Amen to the light of Christ within them.
  13. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    22 Jun '07 20:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Did God rest on the 8th or 9th day? I don't think so. It would be nice to be able to covet my neighbor's wife, but that doesn't mean I'm actually going to do it.
    I'll take that as a decline. 😉
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:33
    I'll take that as a decline. 😉
    You would be suprised how many preachers just show up on Sunday morning and just let the spirit move them without a damn bit of preparation.
  15. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:39
    You would be suprised how many preachers just show up on Sunday morning and just let the spirit move them without a damn bit of preparation.
    Scripture says let everything be done neatly and in order, but it is good to redirect one's focus on the Lord and realize who is really in control.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree