Sermon competition #2

Sermon competition #2

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
20 Jun 07

Let's get it on!!! So what will it be and how long etc. or is everyone "sermoned out"?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by whodey
Let's get it on!!! So what will it be and how long etc. or is everyone "sermoned out"?
DoctorSCribbles will be posting shortly the choice of topics. How could anyone be "sermoned out?"

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Jun 07

For the second round of the sermon competition, you may choose one of these four topics:

1. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow homosexual priests or pastors.

2. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to disallow homosexual priests or pastors.

3. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow female priests or pastors.

4. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to disallow female priests or pastors.

As in Round 1, limit yourself to citing one passage from scripture as the basis of your sermon. Submissions will be due by this Sunday night, with evaluations to commence on Monday.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
For the second round of the sermon competition, you may choose one of these four topics:

1. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow homosexual priests or pastors.

2. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to disallow homosexual priests or pastors.

3. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow fem ...[text shortened]... r sermon. Submissions will be due by this Sunday night, with evaluations to commence on Monday.
Let it ne're be said you were not generous and open-minded.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

3. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow fem ...[text shortened]... r sermon. Submissions will be due by this Sunday night, with evaluations to commence on Monday.
Just one bit of clarification and I know DoctorScribbles would be OK with this amendment: priest, pastors, rabbis, and imans.

l

London

Moves
20 Jun 07

Is "confessional mood" still a requirement?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Speaking for myself, if you tell me you had to blow a priest/pastor, it would give your sermon more interest for me, but that's just me and I can't speak for the other judges.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Yes, the same criteria from the first round will apply.

S

Moves
20 Jun 07

My dad (josephw) told me about this competition just the other day, and I thought it was an excellent idea! I would greatly enjoy asserting my personal beliefs; and I have every confidence that I could win over a congregation with my compelling declarations. But when I was looking at the topic choices for this round, the topic that I would choose to base my sermon on is also the reason why I would choose not to compete. Women should not be in any position of spiritual authority over a man.

It is sometimes believed that women are more subject to deception than men, based on several verses of scripture, one of which is 1 Timothy 2:14. But the most interesting point is how Paul associates successful childbirth with subjection. A woman who is not in subjection to God in this regard is not guaranteed deliverance in childbearing. This is why I will not be participating in this competition…I am pregnant and would like to have the assurance that I will survive the pain!

“Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.” I Timothy 2:15

P.S. This argument may not win over men, childless women and children, but it sure as hell will win over all the women who have already experienced childbirth! To stare at the face of death itself is a persuasive enough argument for me to stay out of the pulpit!
😲🙄

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by SharpeMother
My dad (josephw) told me about this competition just the other day, and I thought it was an excellent idea! I would greatly enjoy asserting my personal beliefs; and I have every confidence that I could win over a congregation with my compelling declarations. But when I was looking at the topic choices for this round, the topic that I would choose to bas ...[text shortened]... he face of death itself is a persuasive enough argument for me to stay out of the pulpit!
😲🙄
There is absolutely nothing to prevent you from participating. We're all hypocrites from time to time. I look forward to your entry as you have really spiked my curiosity inspite of your fallen state of womanhood. Also, it should be noted we have a woman on our panel of judges who is also in a fallen state.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

You know, in my daily Bible reading, I came across the story of Rahab, the prostitute. She was described in my scholarly literature as "a cracked vessel even as she operates in great faith." I can only imagine that God may have directed my thoughts upon Rahab for this very purpose of encouraging a young woman to risk operating in "great faith" even as a broken vessel to preach a word from the Lord in these very forums that are literally read by more people than Paul ever reached in his lifetime.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Jun 07
2 edits

Originally posted by kirksey957
There is absolutely nothing to prevent you from participating. .
I agree. The competition would certainly be enriched by her participation. I for one am not so arrogant as to think that I have nothing to learn from a woman's sermon.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Jun 07

I agree. The competition would certainly be enriched by her participation. I for one am not so arrogant as to think that I have nothing to learn from a woman's sermon.
And to think the persecution we endured about this being a spoof or a set-up to make fun of Christians.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Jun 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
And to think the persecution we endured about this being a spoof or a set-up to make fun of Christians.
Turn the other cheek, Rev, 70 times 7.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Jun 07
1 edit

Why are the topics being chosen by the judges? Will we, the sermonizers, have an oppertunity to pick our own topic?

I have no idea why I'm even asking! It doesn't really matter to me.