1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 06:073 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Tomorrow (Sunday) night is the deadline for this competition.

"He who hath ears to hear. let him hear."
    I'll get the next one, maybe.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 06:081 edit
    Even ahosney should be able to jump in here and wax eloquent about Islam, along with atheists and Christians or perhaps even a New Ager or two. Such a constrictive topic prevented such a conglomeration I think...
    How so? Because it's self-evident that women and gays can't hold positions of authority in Islam?
  3. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 06:181 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    3. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow female priests or pastors.
    I speak to promote reason and the good life. I am here to promote the virtue of justice. Justice, according to the scripture of Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary, refers to “the principle or ideal of just [fair] dealing or right action.” I wish to do the women of my church justice by beseeching the church to allow them the opportunity to become pastors.

Females and males have equivalent intellectual capacity to perform pastoral duties and thus females should be allowed to do so if they desire. Therefore failure to grant women the opportunity to become pastors is not just and demonstrates discrimination on behalf of the church. Such discrimination is not to be tolerated if we desire a church that is fair to all of its members.

We desire fairness because it is through fairness there will be contentment among us. We want to be happy because happiness is the most desirable feeling. The ultimate happiness comes from living fulfilling lives.

We live fulfilling lives by stripping ourselves of our selfish desires and preconceptions, finding that by doing so we are consciousness – and this my friends is the greatest wisdom that we can ever know. I hope that all of you will come to understand why.

And so I ask each and every one of you now, brothers and sisters, to do our women justice and beseech the church to allow them the opportunity to become pastors because this small act of justice leads us down the path of greatest wisdom and happiness I know. Good day to you all.
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    1. Persuade your congregation that the church ought to allow homosexual priests or pastors.
    Well, I am sure there are plenty of flaws in my sermon(ette), but I
    thought I'd give it a try nonetheless. Hopefully it isn't too bad for only
    two hours preparation. Anyway, enough said. Have at it.

Today as I stand before you, I must confess that I have a request of
    each member of this congregation. I am standing here before you to
    ask you to reexamine your beliefs and allow homosexuals the
    opportunity to play a leading role in worship.

In the midst of a constant debate on the morality of homosexuality, I
    would first like to share a scripture verse with you, one that many of
    you know well. “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s
    eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can
    you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and
    behold, the log is in your own eye? (Matthew 7:3-4)”

Although I would deeply love to select a handful of biblical passages
    supporting my belief that homosexuality is not a sinful characteristic
    of humans, my request of you today is not that large. I will
    save that sermon for another day. Whether you sit here today
    believing that homosexuality is sinful or not, I am simply asking you
    to consider this. Believe it or not, every pastor on the planet,
    including me, has sinned. Every one of you in the congregation has
    sinned. Why then would you object to having a homosexual
    participating actively in leading worship? Why would you deny
    homosexuals that opportunity when you yourselves are sinners?

Again, I humbly request that you reconsider your prior beliefs.
    Remember, why should you hold the “speck” against those you
    consider sinners when you have the “log”?

Go now in peace.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:101 edit
    1Tim.2:11-14
    Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Why is it that the topic of women in positions of authority in the church so hotly contested? The answer is the same as it is for any other dispute the church finds itself in these days. Faithlessness!

It is fundamentally meaningless to discuss any matter related to the conduct of the believer as long as the authority of the bible is in doubt. As long as men, and women, continue to trust in their own ideological philosophy of life based on humanistic and secular reasonings, and not on the authority of the 'word of God', they will be unequipped to represent Christ to a lost and dieing world.

Trust is an essential ingredient in any relationship. But especially in the relationship between a loving God and a repentant sinner. As we trust in what God has told us, and seek to apply the truths of his word in our lives, we grow in the knowledge of his grace. Our lives begin to show the fruit of having trusted in, and obeying his commands.

Many of us have had our children look up to us with those little trusting faces, full of innocence, and say, 'yes daddy', or, 'yes mommy', and obey us when we give them instructions we know are for their good. We too, if we trust God, will obey him knowing that he has given us instructions for our good.

But if we fail to trust God, and take him at his word, then confusion, strife, and debate will ensue. And then we have what we see so plainly in this world today. Faithlessness!
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:29
    We have five entries for this round. The judging will commence on Monday afternoon.

The next round's topic/verse/theme will be named by Mimor. Thank you to all who entered this round.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:47
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    We have five entries for this round. The judging will commence on Monday afternoon.

The next round's topic/verse/theme will be named by Mimor. Thank you to all who entered this round.
    Does that mean that I can't enter my sermon anymore? Sorry, I think I missed the post that specified the cut-off time. Please clarify.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 02:49
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    Does that mean that I can't enter my sermon anymore? Sorry, I think I missed the post that specified the cut-off time. Please clarify.
    Technically you have one hour and ten minutes. Go for it.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 04:01
    I'll try for the next round. Just couldn't find time for it this week. Too bad because I liked the sermon topic.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 16:001 edit
    Would the judges be okay if a new thread were started to debate the issues presented? I presume it would not be appreciated to begin a debate in this thread.

Edit -- Ah, never mind. 'Tis not worth it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree