1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 00:591 edit
    I have a problem with rule #4. Why only one passage? Why not 2-3 verses from 2-3 passages so that the topic can be more fully developed and supported?
    This rule seems unnecessarily restrictive.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 01:081 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I have a problem with rule #4. Why only one passage? Why not 2-3 verses from 2-3 passages so that the topic can be more fully developed and supported?
    This rule seems unnecessarily restrictive.
    I often have felt the same way about "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife." We all have to live within the framework given to us by a "higher power."
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 01:17
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I often have felt the same way about "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife." We all have to live within the framework given to us by a "higher power."
    Sometimes I think you just want to argue!
    Well, it's your thread, so I'll respect it as your domain. 🙂
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 16:28
    Tomorrow (Sunday) night is the deadline for this competition.

"He who hath ears to hear. let him hear."
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 16:31
    You would be suprised how many preachers just show up on Sunday morning and just let the spirit move them without a damn bit of preparation.
    Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Do you know that from personal experience, brother Kirk? 😀
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 16:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Do you know that from personal experience, brother Kirk? 😀
    I would never ever show up to preach without preparation. I have such anxiety about being in front of people and not looking good that I tend to overprepare. Plus, if someone is going to take their time to listen to me, I think it is insulting to them to just show up and wing it.
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 17:17
    I would never ever show up to preach without preparation. I have such anxiety about being in front of people and not looking good that I tend to overprepare. Plus, if someone is going to take their time to listen to me, I think it is insulting to them to just show up and wing it.
    I knew a priest whose talents did not include homilies. I thought perhaps it was because he had spent so many years in Peru that putting together a homily in English was daunting. Then one day at a bilingual Mass he did his homily in both languages. He was boring in both. I think that's when I started playing "the alphabet game" during homilies!

I would need a cheat sheet and LOTS of preparation myself. Otherwise half of what's in my head would stay there and the other half would come out as gibberish.

I was wondering if perhaps the "as many passages as necessary" idea could be part of the "free choice" sermon.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 19:43
    I would always be prepared, because my sermon would always be the same.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would always be prepared, because my sermon would always be the same.
    Please say you're not going to participate in Round 2. I just don't think I could take it.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 20:15
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I think that's when I started playing "the alphabet game" during homilies!
    What's the alphabet game?
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 20:54
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I knew a priest whose talents did not include homilies. I thought perhaps it was because he had spent so many years in Peru that putting together a homily in English was daunting. Then one day at a bilingual Mass he did his homily in both languages. He was boring in both. I think that's when I started playing "the alphabet game" during homilies!
    ...[text shortened]... haps the "as many passages as necessary" idea could be part of the "free choice" sermon.
    The "as many passages as necessary" happens all the time in this forum. However, the end result is that there is never enough. It's a shame to see the Bible relegated to basically becoming the drug of choice.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:00
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Please say you're not going to participate in Round 2. I just don't think I could take it.
    I don't think I can bend your choice of topics to accommodate my sermon. So you may rest easily this week.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:111 edit
    Tomorrow (Sunday) night is the deadline for this competition.

"He who hath ears to hear. let him hear."
    I have been looking for a "post" started by you kirksey saying what
    the topic was. If you posted one I'm sorry I missed it. I'll try to get
    something in, but would have liked more time.

Also, isn't picking a Bible verse sort of forcing people to stick on the
    topic of that verse in context?
    Kelly
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:15
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I have been looking for a "post" started by you kirksey saying what
    the topic was. If you posted one I'm sorry I missed it. I'll try to get
    something in, but would have liked more time.

Also, isn't picking a Bible verse sort of forcing people to stick on the
    topic of that verse in context?
    Kelly
    Third post on page one of this thread.

Yes, the idea of picking a theme or a verse helps everyone start on the "same page" so to speak. If everyone picked different topics or verses it would be much harder to compare them to one another. Also, by having the same verse or theme, it give the contestants an opportunity to learn from the others.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '07 21:171 edit
    Third post on page one of this thread.

Yes, the idea of picking a theme or a verse helps everyone start on the "same page" so to speak. If everyone picked different topics or verses it would be much harder to compare them to one another. Also, by having the same verse or theme, it give the contestants an opportunity to learn from the others.
    I understand this thread, but since it wasn't you starting it I was not
    reading it. I was looking for something started by you, I'd start one
    incase there are others like me out there that have not looked at
    this only because we thought is was simply a thread talking about
    this event instead of the event starter.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree