1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 01:10
    How's shamanism doing in the modern world? Are we too cynical to recieve wisdom from these mediums? What form does the modern day shaman take?
    Are shamans the devil in disguise?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 04:381 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    How's shamanism doing in the modern world? Are we too cynical to recieve wisdom from these mediums? What form does the modern day shaman take?
    - Doing just fine; there are many in the native cultures.

- Whether one can receive any wisdom depends on the individual.

- The homeopathic style of healer.

- Absolutely not.
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 07:21
    The bones say...
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 07:39
    Originally posted by Badwater
    - Doing just fine; there are many in the native cultures.

- Whether one can receive any wisdom depends on the individual.

- The homeopathic style of healer.

- Absolutely not.
    I was just thinkig that maybe ancient cultures may have been a bit more simpler and hence the role of the shaman a bit more str8forward,(if there is such a thing in spiritual matters). Modern day people can seem to complex and faithless to believe someone could communicate withe the divine to help them in their lives..
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 09:27
    I'm not sure if you are looking for personal opinion KA but here is mine:

- You don't see many in the modern world, at least not where I live

- Cynicism is not restricted to Shamanism

- I don't know, probably a charlatan of some sort

- The ones with any real power will be influenced by unknown unnamed spiritual entities. You roll the dice and take your spiritual chances, if you are that way inclined; I’m not.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 10:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not sure if you are looking for personal opinion KA but here is mine:

- You don't see many in the modern world, at least not where I live

- Cynicism is not restricted to Shamanism

- I don't know, probably a charlatan of some sort

- The ones with any real power will be influenced by unknown unnamed spiritual entities. You roll the dice and take your spiritual chances, if you are that way inclined; I’m not.
    Always looking for personal opinions Dr Smith. Things written in books are dead. Especially if the authors are. Not that I dont value books...
    Your take sounds skeptical but not altogether dismissive. Hmmm. "Roll the dice"..I don't know if the dynamics to the universe are that loose. Certainly our own thinking will affect our rspective universes. 🙂
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 12:57
    You don't know?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 13:07
    Originally posted by josephw
    You don't know?
    I know me. I know my locaity,the people around me. I would know you if I was sharing the same air with you. I know you a bit through your posts. You seem very dilligent and sincere🙂
    I have my own ideas. I asked these questions to "put my feelers out" and possibly learn more...
    this global internet thing is cool!
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 13:19
    I know me. I know my locaity,the people around me. I would know you if I was sharing the same air with you. I know you a bit through your posts. You seem very dilligent and sincere🙂
    I have my own ideas. I asked these questions to "put my feelers out" and possibly learn more...
    this global internet thing is cool!
    I hear ya!

But, if one knows the truth then one can tell when one hears a lie.

Know the truth.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 13:20
    I hear ya!

But, if one knows the truth then one can tell when one hears a lie.

Know the truth.
    All is truth. Even false things are true...("How does that work?",one may ask. "I don't know-I didn't make it up!"😉
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 13:36
    All is truth. Even false things are true...("How does that work?",one may ask. "I don't know-I didn't make it up!"😉
    All is truth?

That implies absolutes. If there are absolutes, then it follows that there are things that are absolutely false.

"All is truth. Even false things are true..." That is an absolute contradiction in terms karoly.

Start thinking friend.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 13:48
    All is truth?

That implies absolutes. If there are absolutes, then it follows that there are things that are absolutely false.

"All is truth. Even false things are true..." That is an absolute contradiction in terms karoly.

Start thinking friend.
    Life is a paradox. What can I say? Sorry? God has a twisted sense of humour.
    Me start thinking? Ha!! Why do people always need to take their own advice?...It puzzles me to this day. Now dont take it personally and try to work yourself up and tell me why presicesly life,(or the universe,god,etc.), is NOT a paradox?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 15:48
    Life is a paradox. What can I say? Sorry? God has a twisted sense of humour.
    Me start thinking? Ha!! Why do people always need to take their own advice?...It puzzles me to this day. Now dont take it personally and try to work yourself up and tell me why presicesly life,(or the universe,god,etc.), is NOT a paradox?
    Life is a paradox? Another statement of absolutism.

You don't hear yourself. You're not being paradoxical, you're being contradictory.

One cannot make the claim that life is a paradox unless one has absolute proof.

Do you see what I mean?

Life isn't a paradox. Life is full of contradictions though.
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 18:24
    I was just thinkig that maybe ancient cultures may have been a bit more simpler and hence the role of the shaman a bit more str8forward,(if there is such a thing in spiritual matters). Modern day people can seem to complex and faithless to believe someone could communicate withe the divine to help them in their lives..
    The older cultures, especially most in North America, were far more in tune with their interdependence with nature than the modern North America culture, and continue to be. The shamans are not witch doctors or practitioners of some sort of "black magic"; rather, they use their knowledge of nature in healing ways for those they serve. Thus my allusion to their role akin to homeopathic healers for that is what they are.

Any suggestion that the practice is somehow evil or the work of the "devil" is born of gross cultural ignorance and reared by stupidity.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '09 21:24
    Life is a paradox? Another statement of absolutism.

You don't hear yourself. You're not being paradoxical, you're being contradictory.

One cannot make the claim that life is a paradox unless one has absolute proof.

Do you see what I mean?

Life isn't a paradox. Life is full of contradictions though.
    (just re-read the last line of your post)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree