1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 10:45
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    And how does that explicitly relate to atheists and not theists or deists?
    because its implicit it forming your world-view and how it relates to your own thoughts
    and opinions of various issues, thus you are being led in the same way as the sheep,
    only under the guise of being independent.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 10:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    because its implicit it forming your world-view and how it relates to your own thoughts
    and opinions of various issues, thus you are being led in the same way as the sheep,
    That's right, unlike you, i read science books and make an evaluation with my own mind.

Your point?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:00
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    " the positivism of many scientists,whether latent or open,is incomaptible with skepticism,for it accepts without question the assumption that material effect is impossible without material cause."
    Which is not true at all. As far as I know, scientists (unlike some theists) leave open the possibility that some things are uncaused.
    I would also like to know from you, what alternative types of causes you can think of, and explain to me in scientific terms how you think they would work. I am just trying to clarify what you mean by 'material'.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:06
    I am tempted to give two more quotes: "sociologists coined the term"scientism" back in the 1940s when they realized that many scientists unthinkingly accepted many scientific theories as simple,unquestioned Truths,just like believers in any"ism" and thus we often acted like any prejudiced "believer"especially outside our immediate areas of expertise".(http://issc-taste.org/index.shtml)
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:10
    That's right, unlike you, i read science books and make an evaluation with my own mind.

Your point?
    my point? didn't have one to be honest 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:121 edit
    I am tempted to give two more quotes: "sociologists coined the term"scientism" back in the 1940s when they realized that many scientists unthinkingly accepted many scientific theories as simple,unquestioned Truths,just like believers in any"ism" and thus we often acted like any prejudiced "believer"especially outside our immediate areas of expertise".(http://issc-taste.org/index.shtml)
    yes, you cannot question science, if you do, you are a lunatic, despite its very own
    creation story, miracles and faith in unobserved phenomena.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:13
    The 2nd quote is too long. Just look up http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070416/full/070416-9.html)
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Which is not true at all. As far as I know, scientists (unlike some theists) leave open the possibility that some things are uncaused.
    I would also like to know from you, what alternative types of causes you can think of, and explain to me in scientific terms how you think they would work. I am just trying to clarify what you mean by 'material'.
    Well,as a theist,I can think of God as a cause. By the way , by 'material' what was meant was ' made up of matter ' or ' of matter '.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:29
    Well,as a theist,I can think of God as a cause. By the way , by 'material' what was meant was ' made up of matter ' or ' of matter '.
    So what is God made of, and how does something that is not matter, interact with something that is?
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:41
    So what is God made of, and how does something that is not matter, interact with something that is?
    My Belief says God pervades everthing in this Universe and even beyond. I do not claim to ' know ' how God works. I think scientists also cannot explain why the rules of science are the way they are.But my belief says God works.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:55
    It is claimed that even ' consciousness ' has real measurable effects on physical processes.( http://noosphere.princeton.edu/conclusions.html )
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:33
    yes, you cannot question science, if you do, you are a lunatic, despite its very own
    creation story, miracles and faith in unobserved phenomena.
    Of course you can question science, whatever that actually means. Your 'beef' is that science doesn't corroborate your Biblical myth you believe in, if science did corroborate your myth then your views towards science would be very different indeed. Heck, you may even read science book!! 😉
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:342 edits
    ***********BUMPED**************

For rvsakhadeo -

A scientist or a group of scientists who,for the moment,have a working hypothesis which explains the phenomenon under examination very satisfactorily ( till some phenomenon comes up and upsets the hypotheses.)

14. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:36
    My Belief says God pervades everthing in this Universe and even beyond.
    But that implies his is therefore physical. How can one talk of something having location (a property of physical things), then simultaneously claim it is non-physical?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 12:37
    It is claimed that even ' consciousness ' has real measurable effects on physical processes.( http://noosphere.princeton.edu/conclusions.html )
    So, is conciousness physical or non-physical?
    Do scientists accept that conciousness has a real measurable effect on physical processes?
    If 'yes', to the above, doesn't this contradict your original assertion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree