1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:261 edit
    ...or are we going to keep discussing him for the next three years?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    ...as unfit to participate in debate?

Yes or no's only please with a brief explanation.

I think yes, because he is nothing more than a cut and paste poster boy for his brand of Hinduism, and because he doesn't know the first thing about debate.
    Nobody is forcing you to read his posts.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That is dishonest.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:392 edits
    ...as unfit to participate in debate?

Yes or no's only please with a brief explanation.
    No. "Unfit" is the kind of vague word that people with authoritarian and intolerant instincts often bandy about. I would like to see Dasa find more equilibrium, more emotional intelligence, more tolerance, empathy, contentment. I cannot think of anyone here who is as outwardly unhappy as he seems to be. If his creed was really achieving what he claims it achieves (for him) why all the raw misanthropy? I would like to see him overcome his interpersonal communication problems. I somewhat doubt he will, and he may change his name again (he has been getting really pretty nasty again of late) or disappear altogether at some point. It would not be to the credit of this public forum to expel him or to suppress any views that he expresses that are more or less in accordance with the Terms Of Service.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:44
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't read his posts. I already read enough, and the rest are the same.

You are being redundant rwingett. You said the same thing in another thread. In fact, not to hurt your feelings, you haven't said much of anything new in a long time.

And you didn't reply to me in another thread again. I'm beginning to think you're trying to torture me.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. "Unfit" is the kind of vague word that people with authoritarian and intolerant instincts often bandy about. I would like to see Dasa find more equilibrium, more emotional intelligence, more tolerance, empathy, contentment. I cannot think of anyone here who is as outwardly unhappy as he seems to be. If his creed was really achieving what he claims it achieve ...[text shortened]... ess any views that he expresses that are more or less in accordance with the Terms Of Service.
    Good post FMF. I'll buy that.
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:48
    this is not a debate forum.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:50
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    Not any more.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:51
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    That is dishonest.

"Spirituality
    Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 01:55
    I don't read [Dasa's] posts. I already read enough, and the rest are the same.
    So if you don't read his posts, why do you raise the issue of banning him?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So if you don't read his posts, why do you raise the issue of banning him?
    Because we're all wasting our time discussing dasa.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:01
    no. he represents a particular point of view...love him or hate him.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:08
    Because we're all wasting our time discussing dasa.
    How could that possibly be a justification for banning him? Isn't "discussing' stuff what a forum is for?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:281 edit
    [should dasa be banned from this forum] ...or are we going to keep discussing him for the next three years?
    You changed your OP even after several people had already responded to it. You have tried to soften the essentially condescending and authoritarian nature of your original OP and you should have just stood by it or acknowledged your change of mind once others had responded to it. Removing the word "unfit" from the OP after that particular word choice had been discussed is poor, poor form, josephw. Here is the original OP:

[should dasa be banned from this forum]...as unfit to participate in debate? Yes or no's only please with a brief explanation. I think yes, because he is nothing more than a cut and paste poster boy for his brand of Hinduism, and because he doesn't know the first thing about debate.
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 03:021 edit
    ...or are we going to keep discussing him for the next three years?
    Debate is not the only way to engage with another, even here. If you ask Dasa questions about what he believes, he answers sincerely. If you look for opportunities to take offense, you'll find them. If you look for opportunities for dialogue and understanding, you'll find them. If have asked him explicitly for arguments before, and he gave it a try. And when he is not giving arguments explicitly, it's not difficult to reconstruct his reasoning from what he posts. Perhaps, if you're annoyed by posters here, you should change the way you interact with them. In short, of course Dasa shouldn't be banned, but you may want to reexamine how you deal with him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree