1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 19:071 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It is a fallacy to say pro-choice politicians i.e. those who oppose criminal laws against abortion are "advocating doctrines that oppose RC teachings" as I was unaware that the Catholic Church doctrine consisted of commandments ...[text shortened]... g into the criminal law to be imposed on ALL people is irrelevant.
    That article probably doesnt cover the politicians that advocate the death penalty or aggressive war .
    but thats not whats wrong it's the concept that the pope can tell Catholics what their political beliefs are..
    You'd think that the long history of how the church's meddling in secular matters has caused enormous human suffering, that the Church would understand by now:that religion and politics dont mix.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:06
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

People who publicly advocate doctrines that contradict the RC teachings in a serious and fundamental way and they insist on advocating them publicly, knowing that these teachings are clearly and fundamentally at odds with RC doctrine, place THEMSELVES outside of the Communion. It is not correct for these people to try and give another, a false impression ...[text shortened]... hould not become a plaything in the hands of politicians who clearly make a mockery of it.

On the protestant side of the isle I can tell you about churches where you are not worthy to take communion and clearly not saved if you go to see a movie.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:19
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    On the protestant side of the isle I can tell you about churches where you are not worthy to take communion and clearly not saved if you go to see a movie.

Poor people ...... this only proves the necessity of the Magisterium.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:21
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Good grief. Good luck. Goodbye.

Goodbye, fellow knight.
  5. London
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:25
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    One other question. Do you believe that the sacrament of communion belongs to the pope, bishop or priest in terms of determining who is worthy to receive it?
    The Eucharist is God's gift to humanity through the Church. So yes, the Church does have the authority to determine who should and should not receive it.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:26
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    How dare they have an idea the pope dont like , maybe they should be burned at the stake after being sufficiently tortured into confessing that they are indeed in league with Satan.
    and lets burn all the left wing books too since we'll have a nice fire going

C'mon stompy, don't make a fool of yourself. It is not about the Pope's opinion. It's about the Church's teachings.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:35
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Here's a nice article on a related subject:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=108&ncid=742&e=10&u=/ucac/20050414/cm_ucac/itsonlyfunnyuntilsomeonelosesapie

Liberals enjoy claiming that they are intellectuals, thrilled to engage in a battle of wits. This, they believe, distinguishes them from conservatives, who are religious fana ...[text shortened]... square with the fact that liberals keep responding to conservative ideas by throwing food.
    LOL. An ass-whuppin' over a pie-throwin'? Are you quoting a religious conservative or Stone Cold Steve Austin?
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:38
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    That aint what the church is doing Ivanhoe . it's trying to force it's morality on non-Catholic's by force of law. And is selling its very soul in an ungodly alliance with the the rich and the Catholic hating Bible belt.
    Where are the Mother Teresa's going to come from if the only Catholic's left are the rich and powerful?

What do you suggest the Church must do ?
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:46

Goodbye, fellow knight.
    Question: Let's say that at some future time, the Church (for whatever reason) decides to include condoms in the approved list of birth control methods.
    What happens to all the Catholics who used condoms before they were approved? Are they forgiven retro-actively? Or, do you think that changing Church policy on this (or any other) issue would create such a dilemma that the dilemma itself is a powerful incentive to keep policy the same?
    Just wondering.
    (BTW, you're not trying to convert me, are you?)
  10. London
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:52
    Question: Let's say that at some future time, the Church (for whatever reason) decides to include condoms in the approved list of birth control methods.
    What happens to all the Catholics who used condoms before they were approved? Are they forgiven retro-actively? Or, do you think that changing Church policy on this (or any other) issue would create ...[text shortened]... ive to keep policy the same?
    Just wondering.
    Answer: The church is NOT going to include condoms in an "approved list" of birth control methods. Period.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 20:53
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    LOL. An ass-whuppin' over a pie-throwin'? Are you quoting a religious conservative or Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Well BDP, if I look at my experiences with certain people on RHP who call themselves liberal I must say that this description is frightfully correct ..... please don't take the pies to literal in this case.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 21:032 edits
    What happens to all the Catholics who used condoms before they were approved? A ...[text shortened]... Just wondering.
    The use of artificial birth control methods is not morally acceptable according to RC teachings. There are reasons for that. (See Paul the VI's famous encyclical "Humanae Vitae" below) The Church will never change the heart of those teachings.

Condoms will never be an acceptable birth control method. Only the method based on the woman's period is.

KKnight: " ....... issue would create such a dilemma that the dilemma itself is a powerful incentive to keep policy the same?

No that's not the reason.

HUMANAE VITAE

ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PAUL VI
    ON THE REGULATION OF BIRTH

JULY 25, 1968

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

KKnight: "(BTW, you're not trying to convert me, are you?)"

(Jesus, deliver me !)
  13. Not Kansas
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 21:18
    The use of artificial birth control methods is not morally acceptable according to RC teachings. There are reasons for that. (See Paul the VI's famous encyclical "Humanae Vitae" below) The Church will never change the heart of those teachings.

Condoms will never be an acceptable birth control method. Only the method based on the woman's period is.
    ...[text shortened]... ml

KKnight: "(BTW, you're not trying to convert me, are you?)"

(Jesus, deliver me !)
    OK. I can't help but see someone painting himself into a corner here, a la rejection of the Heliocentric viewpoint, (ie what happens if bio-feedback or something unthought of could be made to work as a viable method of birth control?)
    It's all very well for a group of virgin, male idealists who don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from to lay down the law for downtrodden mothers in the third world ...
    BTW, condoms can be used to prevent disease.
    Anyways, soon there will be a smoking chimney and the future path of the Church will be pointed to.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 21:24

Poor people ...... this only proves the necessity of the Magisterium.
    They just wear more ornate clothing.
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    18 Apr '05 21:24
    ...what happens if bio-feedback or something unthought of could be made to work as a viable method of birth control?
    This would also be ruled out. Consider the following:

"Similarly excluded is any action which either before, at the moment of, or after sexual intercourse, is specifically intended to prevent procreation—whether as an end or as a means."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree