1. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 19:56
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    It is my personal belief, not just my opinion, because it is scripturally written.
    If it is scripturally written then why don't you quote the scripture as I initially asked? Instead you quoted some other piece of scripture then did some substitution and deduction of your own which I have already shown is clearly flawed. If you don't believe me then tell me whether you worship money or Satan.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 19:58
    Yes, one can show compassion for a terrorist by putting him/her out of their misery before they bringb suffering upon innocent women and children, not to mention men.
    If killing a terrorist puts them out of their misery, and is a compassionate act then is being in Hell better than living as a terrorist? Or do terrorists go to heaven (as they believe)?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 20:01
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I learned from my Teacher sometimes to answer questions that way.
    Instead of answering his question, like Jesus, I told him what he should do. I am an evangelist.

You see, Jesus did not always waste time with intellectual one-upmanship for sport's sake.
    You did not learn very well. I doubt that you honestly expected my to follow your advice. You merely wanted to find an excuse to avoid answering my question (a worse practice than intellectual one-upmanship for sport's sake.)
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===================================
    What does this exhortation have to do with twhitehead's question?
    ====================================

I learned from my Teacher sometimes to answer questions that way.
    Instead of answering his question, like Jesus, I told him what he should do. I am an evangelist.

For example:

" Lu You see, Jesus did not always waste time with intellectual one-upmanship for sport's sake.[/b]
    If providing irrelevant exhortation in response to simple questions is a practice you learned from your teacher, then you might want to get a new teacher (or at least resolve to ignore that portion of his teachings).

Twhitehead had a fair concern. He was concerned (as am I) that you were making a simple notional mistake. Your argument seemed to be supposing that one's being sympathetic or compassionate toward X entails that one is also broadly sympathetic or supportive of X's personal causes, projects and values, etc. This is surely mistaken: on the contrary, one may hold compassion for X precisely because one sees that X is suffering from a deep lack of understanding and what one knows to be impoverished or depraved personal causes, projects and values, etc. In such a case, X presents as a tragic figure and fitting subject for sympathy.

To the question of whether or not we should be showing compassion for S, one of your response seems to be basically that, no, instead we should be focusing on happy things (like God, in your estimation). That seems fair enough on the surface and has to do with how we should prioritize limited resources, like our reflective energy and time. But the rest of your argument seems intent on showing something else: that S is a figure unfitting or unworthy of our sympathy. This you failed to support because, again, your argument for it is based on some simple notional mistakes.
  5. Break-twitching
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 04:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If killing a terrorist puts them out of their misery, and is a compassionate act then is being in Hell better than living as a terrorist? Or do terrorists go to heaven (as they believe)?
    Well, it may be better in Hell for terrorists because that is where they will end up..so, it will be a "hot" party for them, but the seventy virgins probably won't be there...no, terrorists don't go to Heaven unless they confess their sins and call on Jesus to save them, which lokely won't happen because they don't believ Jesus to be The Savior...
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 06:26
    Well, it may be better in Hell for terrorists because that is where they will end up..so, it will be a "hot" party for them, but the seventy virgins probably won't be there...no, terrorists don't go to Heaven unless they confess their sins and call on Jesus to save them, which lokely won't happen because they don't believ Jesus to be The Savior...
    Do you honestly believe that, or are you just trying to avoid admitting that you do not wish to give any form of compassion to terrorists?
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 05:28
    Originally posted by Raven69
    Please, Satan has a very sophisticated taste. You would obviously give him wine, not beer.
    Wine...of course, how stupid of me!😏
  8. Break-twitching
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 05:40
    I should have phrased that to say "put them out of their earthly misery" because, due to the evil they do in this life, they have nothing but misery in Hell to look forward too...70 demons vs. seventy virgins...unless the demons are virgins and are looking for a cherry-bomb... 😉
  9. Break-twitching
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 05:41
    Do you honestly believe that, or are you just trying to avoid admitting that you do not wish to give any form of compassion to terrorists?
    Ok, you got me; terrorists deserve no compassion. or, do they...do you think they deserve compassion?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 06:43
    Ok, you got me; terrorists deserve no compassion. or, do they...do you think they deserve compassion?
    I am not really sure if anyone is deserving of compassion nor whether we should give compassion based on whether or not someone is deserving. I do think that terrorists are more in need of compassion than say you or I.
    I also thought that Jesus' message was that all have sinned and that we should show compassion to all irrespective of whether they are our friends or enemies, or whether or not we judge them right or wrong or deserving or not.

Sadly, it seems that many Christians these days think that the only people Jesus would show compassion to are those that are a particular brand of Christian, and since it is largely an accident of birth as to whether you are Christian or not one wonders how they get to be so 'deserving'.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 19:432 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    If providing irrelevant exhortation in response to simple questions is a practice you learned from your teacher, then you might want to get a new teacher (or at least resolve to ignore that portion of his teachings).

Twhitehead had a fair concern. He was concerned (as am I) that you were making a simple notional mistake. Your argument seemed to be su led to support because, again, your argument for it is based on some simple notional mistakes.
    ======================================
    If providing irrelevant exhortation in response to simple questions is a practice you learned from your teacher, then you might want to get a new teacher ...
    ==========================================

I might. Then again I might not.

Bottom line - Should we have compassion on Satan?

My answer is no.
    It's not rocket science.

Now if you and twhitehead want to flex your intellects and rationalize why you should question the merits of having compassion on him, have at it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree