1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 18:20
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Should violent groups of people be allowed to exist in civilized society?
    How would you go about disallowing them?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 19:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is just too bad that they are following a violent religious group.
    They will all have to be terminated to protect the peace lovers and
    those who wish to do good rather than those who just want to do
    harm and rape 70 virgins. Amen. 😏
    I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and imagine that you're either joking or trolling, but it's getting tougher. If you're expressing sincerely held views, then it's a pretty oddball sect of christianity you hail from. Have you read the New Testament at all?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 20:15
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This is one of the good things about living in a time in which we have the technology in place to build prisons capable of housing violent people in a place where they are extremely unlikely to escape and threaten additional harm to innocent people.

But what if you live in a place and-or time in which these technologies are-were unavailable?

If pr ...[text shortened]... what would be the best way to deal with violent people who pose a threat to the rest of society?
    That is an interesting and tough question to which I wont claim to have a definitive answer.

I will allow that there are certain situations where allowing a dangerous individual to live and
    remain a threat to the rest of the group/society would not be the best or most reasonable
    course of action and where killing (executing) that individual would be justifiable.

However, as you say, living in a modern advanced society this situation need not arise, and
    certainly can never be justifiably claimed to arise for the state.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 20:29
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    My thoughts were utopian rather than practical and I dont have any answers to your criticism.

I was assuming a perfect judicial system (impossible)

In particular I agree strongly with your view on judges being allowed to judge so my 3 strikes rule would be a guideline only.

I also support pre-emptive measures such as education and raising social ...[text shortened]... ate society for those who do not want to live in ours.

Maybe the Isle of Wight ..............
    Hmmm, well if your going for a utopian solution I would direct you towards the Culture (fictional post-scarcity utopian society created
    by Ian M. Banks) where if you commit a crime (well not really crime because they don't actually have any laws as such but an act of
    violence or other infringement upon the freedoms of another individual) or indicate in some way a reasonable likelihood of committing
    a crime in the future then you get 'slap droned'.

Being slap droned means that a small, combat rated, human level strong AI, sentient drone (small floating ball of varying size depending
    on technological level at time of construction, these things are essentially immortal and so can be thousands of years old) which follows
    you around and makes sure you don't do it again (or do it in the first place) while keeping you company and protecting you if the need
    arises. (either by using forcefields to restrain you or by using its effectors to directly take over your nervous system)

Now the technology needed for an exact replica of this may not be possible, but you could certainly envision a real life scenario where you
    get a robot assigned to anyone who commits a crime of a violent nature that simply follows them around and makes sure you don't ever
    do it again. And also potentially enforce any restraining orders or punishments (such as social work or similar) that might be applicable.

Anyhow I recommend Ian M Banks' scifi books, particularly his culture novels, there is plenty of stuff about him and the culture on the web
    (including wikipedia) if you wanted to know more.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 22:261 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Should violent groups of people be allowed to exist in civilized society?
    Don't really care about what you posted but I want to know the answer to one question. It's an important question, probably the most important question you'll ever have to answer:

How are we meant to show our hands!? 😕 It's an internet forum, we can't post hands here - it only allows text!
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 22:35
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Hmmm, well if your going for a utopian solution I would direct you towards the Culture (fictional post-scarcity utopian society created
    by Ian M. Banks) where if you commit a crime (well not really crime because they don't actually have any laws as such but an act of
    violence or other infringement upon the freedoms of another individual) or indicate ...[text shortened]... f about him and the culture on the web
    (including wikipedia) if you wanted to know more.
    Not read any Iain Banks SciFi - maybe I should. His non Sci-Fi novels are quite extraordinary.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 22:46
    Not read any Iain Banks SciFi - maybe I should. His non Sci-Fi novels are quite extraordinary.
    If you like scifi at all you definitely should, they're as good as it gets.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 23:16
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and imagine that you're either joking or trolling, but it's getting tougher. If you're expressing sincerely held views, then it's a pretty oddball sect of christianity you hail from. Have you read the New Testament at all?
    Have you reda the old testament? The old and the new go hand in hand. 😏
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 00:22
    If you are going to start Ian M Banks Scifi I would recommend you go with 'The Player of Games' or 'Consider Phlebas'
    as your starting point. Most of his culture novels are independent and thus can really be read in any order, but those
    two are generally regarded as the best 'getting into' books for his culture novels.
    Arguments are had over which is better for this, I started myself with The Player Of Games.
    Consider Phlebas is slightly unique as it is set during a major 'historical' event that takes place in the fictional reality his
    books are set in, and this event is referenced back to in most of if not all the other books so I would recommend reading
    it second if you don't read it first.

If you want a (non-spoilerry) primer though on the utopian society [The Culture] they are based around I recommend reading this

http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

Ian M Banks self admittedly created the Culture to be his own personal version of a utopia...
    However It's one I would happily join him in.
    The important points of it are probably real world possible, even if some of the stuff doesn't work with real world physics.

I do agree that his non-scifi stuff is extraordinary, but I would say that I don't actually like it, don't know if that is important to
    your decision as it might puritan to differing tastes. But I felt I aught to mention it.
  10. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 09:59
    Like "an eye for an eye" from the old and "turn the other cheek" from the new
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 18:23
    Joking aside, how do you read the teachings of Jesus and end up being able to justify your position in this thread?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 00:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How would you go about disallowing them?
    "BUMP"

C'mon Dasa. Answer this question will ya?

I'm also interested to hear your opinion on the actual logistics of this idea being carried out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree