1. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 May '17 13:00
    Originally posted by sonship
    Respect to me involves knowing myself, my friends, my enemies were all together made in the image of God. Whoever they are there is something about them that has to remind me of God. For they are made in His image.

Respect to me involves realizing that as Christ groaned and shed His life's blood for my sins, so also He did for the other person be that on ...[text shortened]... st. It is realizing in some sense that I only love God as much as the person I love the least.
    What your post describes is KNOWLEDGE. Knowledge can never be respect. Knowledge of what Christ did is common all over the religious world. Knowledge is nothing.

The Knowledge you describe can lead to respect for Jesus Christ IF they utilize that knowledge the way the Apostles said they should.. But you dont preach that. So you know nothing of respect.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 May '17 14:18
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I do occasionally put you on the rack. 🙂
    Yet without being hateful, which makes what you have to say easier to receive. I know I don't always have an ear to hear.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 May '17 14:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yet without being hateful, which makes what you have to say easier to receive. I know I don't always have an ear to hear.
    You and me both.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:102 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What your post describes is KNOWLEDGE. Knowledge can never be respect. Knowledge of what Christ did is common all over the religious world. Knowledge is nothing.

The Knowledge you describe can lead to respect for Jesus Christ IF they utilize that knowledge the way the Apostles said they should.. But you dont preach that. So you know nothing of respect.
    You seem so eager to disagree with me that it causes you to write utter nonsense.
    I don't think you understand yourself what you are writing there.

So if the "knowledge is nothing" why does Peter tell us to add to our virtue knowledge ?

"And for this very reason also, adding all diligence, supply bountifully in your faith virtue; and in virtue; knowledge; ..." ( 2 Pet. 1:6)

And don't respond with some lame complaint that I "conveniently left out" part of the verse or the chapter or the whole book or the rest of the Bible.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    Sometimes respect means forbearance: patient self-control; restraint and tolerance, noting that tolerance does not mean agreement, in fact, it means quite the opposite.
    I think that sounds right, thank you. Like a governor on our words and actions.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:32
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I would venture to say that those like you who show respect even to those on a computer screen find it easier to do it in life as well.
    Good point. I know that a lot of people use the anonymity of the internet to act savage, but also a lot of people don't do that.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:36
    You seem so eager to disagree with me that it causes you to write utter nonsense.
    I don't think you understand yourself what you are writing there.

So if the "knowledge is nothing" why does Peter tell us to add to our virtue [b]knowledge
    ?

[quote] "And for this very reason also, adding all diligence, supply bountifully in your faith virtu ...[text shortened]... eniently left out" part of the verse or the chapter or the whole book or the rest of the Bible.
    A little bit of education and some basic English comprehension skills would do you and your cronies a world of good. If you read the post I said Knowledge is nothing when it is all by itself. Your knowledge listed in your initial post is knowledge alone and by itself. That alone is not respect for Christ like you think. You know and heard of Christ. That is knowledge. That kind of knowledge is pointless if to that is not ADDED these essential qualities, liste by Peter

Your passage in Peter is saying exactly what Im saying. Peter describes your version of respect - a knowledge of Christ, you can call that faith if you like. But that is not enough Peter says. YOU MUST ADD TO THAT MANY OTHER THINGS.

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Your version of knowledge and faith [I presume]

And beside this, giving all diligence,
    add to your faith virtue;
    and to virtue knowledge;
    And to knowledge temperance;
    and to temperance patience;
    and to patience godliness;
    And to godliness brotherly kindness;
    and to brotherly kindness charity.
    The the real basis of respect for Christ, and what will determine if the Christian is pleasing to God.

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. someone like you that ignores this part of the writings of the Aposltes will not be sure to enter the Kingdom of God (2 Peter 1:3-9 KJV)
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:40
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.
    Huh. Didn't know about this side of you.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:483 edits
    A little bit of education and some basic English comprehension skills would do you and your cronies a world of good. If you read the post I said Knowledge is nothing when it is all by itself. Your knowledge listed in your initial post is knowledge alone and by itself. That alone is not respect for Christ like you think. You know and heard of Christ. That is ...[text shortened]... ritings of the Aposltes will not be sure to enter the Kingdom of God (2 Peter 1:3-9 KJV)[/i][/b]
    The OP appears to me to be about respect in general. And I took that to mean respect for other people.

The OP states about the phrase Show Respect -

What does that mean to you?

All your words about "respect for Christ" seem off the point of the thread's intention.

And I have no reason to alter anything I wrote about how seeing my fellow man through these biblical revelations engenders respect for them in my experience.

That is doesn't come up to your dubious argued "standard" doesn't seem to be very significant.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 May '17 15:56
    The OP appears to me to be about respect in general. And I took that to mean respect for other people.

The OP states about the phrase [b]Show Respect
    -

What does that mean to you?

All your words about "respect for Christ" seem off the point of the thread's intention.

And I have no reason to alter anything I wrote about h ...[text shortened]... That is doesn't come up to your dubious argued "standard" doesn't seem to be very significant.[/b]
    Actually how do YOUR words about knowledge of Christ mean respect. There is no connection and your post is irrelevant.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 May '17 22:22
    Actually how do YOUR words about knowledge of Christ mean respect. There is no connection and your post is irrelevant.
    Let me assault the elephant in the room. Good people should should not go to Hell, regardless of their faith beliefs or lack thereof. Unless the gods are evil!

Have you heard term cannon fodder before? We are not buying what you are selling.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 May '17 12:30
    Originally posted by apathist
    Good point. I know that a lot of people use the anonymity of the internet to act savage, but also a lot of people don't do that.
    I enjoy your posts half the time and the other half not so much. Which is still a great deal better than some. 😉
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 May '17 13:402 edits
    So then you are not for obeying the commands of Christ afterall.
    All the halluballuh about Christians needing to obey the commands of Christ was so much hot air.

You cannot put together knowledge of the living, available, indwelling Christ and obeying His human virtue of love for men. Then all your clamor demanding Christians obey the commands of Jesus has just been so much noisy clanging of a lifeless cymbal - religious hot air.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 May '17 21:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    It's probably easier to show 'consistent respect' in our real life encounters. I believe this is much harder in an internet forum as we are staring at a computer screen rather than a human face.

The Ghost has spoken wisely.
    The Ghost has spoken wisely ... or at least took part of my point : the computer screens make it way easier to not worry about respect. I'm fairly sure that nearly all of you wouldn't dis' me in real life if we met 😉
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 May '17 21:41
    Respect all of the world as you would revere a god, a creator - regardless of whether one exists. Respect all sentient beings,all life but especially treat all others as you would treat the Buddha herself for he would tell you that they are all divine as well, it is only the way we look at them that colors our Maya...

Then there is respect people's right to be quiet, they're right of reply, they're own views on spirituality and politics - lest they be violent.
    These are all good places to keep to. Guidelines for navigating with others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree