1. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 16:332 edits
    Re :

How can the only true religion in the world [according to Dasa], be one in which the Holy Books advise its adherents to worship an animal.

Further the Holy Books advise that there are benefits, spiritual and health wise in eating the dung and drinking the urine of that animal.

Thats one sick, disgusting religion in my opinion.

I contend that Hinduism has done far more harm that good to the innocent and unsuspecting people of India. I further contend that generally, the only progressive and well-adjusted East Indians on the planet are the ones which have forsaken the religion, beliefs and customs of their forefathers and moved ahead to another religion of substance.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 16:42
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Re :

How can the only true religion in the world [according to Dasa], be one in which the Holy Books advise its adherents to worship an animal.

Further the Holy Books advise that there are benefits, spiritual and health wise in eating the dung and drinking the urine of that animal.

I contend that ...[text shortened]... gion, beliefs and customs of their forefathers and moved ahead to another religion of substance.
    HalleluYah !!!
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 16:44
    Re :

I contend that ...[text shortened]... gion, beliefs and customs of their forefathers and moved ahead to another religion of substance.

Please cite the specific passages where you believe adherents are advised as above.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 16:46
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]How can the only true religion in the world [according to Dasa], be one in which the Holy Books advise its adherents to worship an animal.

Please cite the specific passages where you believe adherents are advised as above.[/b]
    Isn't his word good enough for you? Do you think he would lie about such things?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 16:50
    At least they don't drink blood like vampire worshipping Christians do.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 17:18
    Re :

Yeah, it's sick, but why should I care if that's what they want to do?

I think you need more than this to make the case that 'Hinduism has done far more harm than good".
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 17:20
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah, it's sick, but why should I care if that's what they want to do?

I think you need more than this to make the case that 'Hinduism has done far more harm than good".
    He also needs to prove that his claims are valid.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 17:30
    Re :

And you proclaim the teachings of a zombie!!
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:111 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]How can the only true religion in the world [according to Dasa], be one in which the Holy Books advise its adherents to worship an animal.

Please cite the specific passages where you believe adherents are advised as above.[/b]
    I quoted one site in the thread 'The Vedas & Cow Worship"
    http://www.worldteachertrust.org/bk/cow/

Here is another :
    http://www.stephen-knapp.com/basic_points_about_vedic_culture_hinduism.htm

These are sites by Hindus who are not biased in one way or the other. They are simply describing how Hindus intrepret the Vedic scriptures. There are many sites which say exactly the same thing.

I cannot quote the actual chapter and verse the way I would quote the Bible as this is very difficult to do as these scriptures are not easily available in searchable form.

Religious texts say:

The cow is a universal mother. The Agni Purana says that the cow is a pure, auspicious animal. Looking after a cow, bathing it and making it eat and drink are commendable acts. Cow dung and urine are said to have medicinal qualities and are known to contain antiseptic properties. The milk, curd, butter, and ghee are all used in religious ceremonies. Whoever offers a morsel of food to the cow attains spiritual merit. Whoever gives a cow in charity benefits the whole family. Wherever a cow lives the place becomes purified. The touch and care of cows absolves one of sins.

In the Atharva-Veda, it is said: The cow is the mother of Rudras; she is a daughter of the Vasus; she is the sister of Surya. She is a storehouse of ghee that is like the celestial nectar.

In the Markandeya Purana it is explained that the welfare of the world depends upon the cow. The back of the cow is symbolic of the Rig-Veda, the body of Yajur-Veda, the mouth of the Sama-Veda, the neck of the household deity and the good deeds and the soft body hair are like the mantras. Cow dung and urine give peace and good health. Wherever a cow lives the virtues are never wasted. A cow always promotes contentment.

In the Vishnu Smriti it is said that the land on which cows live is pure. Cows are pure and auspicious. They promote the welfare of mankind. They help make a yajna successful. By serving cows one gets rid of sins. Their dwelling is like a pilgrimage. One becomes virtuous through reverence of cows.

The Skanda Purana also explains that cow dung purifies the courtyard and temple.

The Atharva-Veda also relates that cow's milk helps overcome debility and regain lost physical and mental health. It promotes intelligence.

In the Bhagavad-gita, Sri Krishna said, "Amongst cows, I am Kamadhenu."

The Mahabharata relates that a cow given in charity becomes like Kamadhenu through its virtues and returns to the donor in the next birth. Through her virtues the cow protects the donor from the darkness of hell just as air protects and guides a boat from sinking and helps it steer through the vast ocean of life. Just as a mantra acts like a medicine to destroy disease, in the same way a cow given in charity to a good person protects one from all sins.

In the Mahabharata, Kurma Purana, Yagyavalkya Smriti, and several other Vedic texts, it is said that whoever gives a cow in charity shall always be happy and content and attain heaven after death. It is believed that after death, before heaven one reaches the Vaitarni River. To cross it one can hold the tail of the cow (as a sign and indication of respect for it) and finally reach heaven (the higher planetary systems).
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:12

You only find it sick and disgusting because its not your religion / culture. You would probably quite happily eat fish eggs / cow tongue / frogs legs etc.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:15
    The [b]Skanda Purana also explains that cow dung purifies the courtyard and temple.

The Atharva-Veda also relates that cow's milk helps overcome debility and regain lost physical and mental health. It promotes intelligence.[/b]
    Now explain how you equate the above with eating cow dung and drinking cow urine. Its starting to look like you made up some lies about hinduism, the question is why?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You only find it sick and disgusting because its not your religion / culture. You would probably quite happily eat fish eggs / cow tongue / frogs legs etc.
    If you want to equate eating cow dung and drinking urine with eating frogs legs, fish eggs etc then your thinking is screwed up.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Now explain how you equate the above with eating cow dung and drinking cow urine. Its starting to look like you made up some lies about hinduism, the question is why?
    The question is why did not read the other thread "The Vedas & Cow Worship" where I quoted other authorities claiming eating dung and drinking urine were spiritually beneficial.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:301 edit
    I quoted one site in the thread 'The Vedas & Cow Worship"
    http://www.worldteachertrust.org/bk/cow/

Here is another :
    http://www.stephen-knapp.com/basic_points_about_vedic_culture_hinduism.htm

These are sites by Hindus who are not biased in one way or the other. They are simply describing how Hindus intrepret the Vedic scriptures. There are many site ication of respect for it) and finally reach heaven (the higher planetary systems).[/quote]
    You're painting all of Hinduism with a broad brush. Furthermore, you don't seem to have cited anything authoritative.

What you posted in the OP would seem to be akin to someone posting the following:

How can the only true religion in the world, be one in which the Holy Books condone slavery.

Further the Holy Books advise that blood transfusions be refused.

I contend that Christianity has done far more harm that good to the innocent and unsuspecting people of the world.

If you think it unfair to paint Christianity as above, you should consider that you've done something similar with Hinduism.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '12 19:32
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    And you proclaim the teachings of a zombie!!
    No Jesus was a Lich... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich

Not a zombie... http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/04/08/an-easter-message/

It's important to get these things right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree