1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 20:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
    Willful disobedience to God.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 23:35
    Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?
    I recognize the concept of wrong doing, that cultures develop various criteria for what constitutes it, which influences, to some degree, my own criteria.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 00:06
    Any additional 'personal behaviors you regard as sin?'
    If you think masturbation is a bit of personal behaviour that is "sin", just come out and say so, Grampy Bobby. Don't pretend that I do.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 07:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you think masturbation is a bit of personal behaviour that is "sin", just come out and say so, Grampy Bobby. Don't pretend that I do.
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's up to them. It's a notion that is bound up with their religious beliefs. If they believe an act of theirs is a "sin" then it's "sin" I suppose. I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example. If they reckon it's a "sin" then it's a "sin" in their minds, I'm sure.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 08:111 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]It's up to them. It's a notion that is bound up with their religious beliefs. If they believe an act of theirs is a "sin" then it's "sin" I suppose. I have met people who think it is a "sin" to masturbate, for example. If they reckon it's a "sin" then it's a "sin" in their minds, I'm sure.
    [/b]
    Who has come out on this thread and said that masturbation is a personal behaviour that they regard as "sin"? No one. So why is it on your list?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 20:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who has come out on this thread and said that masturbation is a personal behaviour that they regard as "sin"? No one. So why is it on your list?
    "I recognise the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse.": Same reason all replies are represented; the list is inclusive.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 20:451 edit
    Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?
    Would you regard any overt personal behaviors which involve other people [such as murder, drunkenness, theft, fornication or adultery]; or covert personal behaviors which often cluster [such as pride, jealously, bitterness, hatred, vindictiveness, implacability, envy, guilt feelings, worry, anxiety, fear or self pity] as sin? Also, what do you consider as the source of sin?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 22:50
    [b]Sin

Irrespective of your position on other spirituality topics and issues, what personal behaviors do you regard as "sin"?[/b]
    Sin - Anything that is "God-eclipsing".

not my definition, but one I came across that made me think
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 23:02
    Would you "recognize the concept" by a different name?
    'morality' would be the nearest thing in my world. the difference being, nobody is tortured for eternity for being immoral in mine.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 23:07
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    'morality' would be the nearest thing in my world. the difference being, nobody is tortured for eternity for being immoral in mine.
    .... and what personal personal behaviors do you regard as being "immoral"?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 23:27
    .... and what personal personal behaviors do you regard as being "immoral"?
    Basically, hurting, damaging or harming someone; deceiving someone; coercing someone... all subject of course to the complexities of life and all its perplexing dilemmas and scenarios. Morality, though, is about the relationships between people whereas "sin" is instead about the relationship (as evidenced by thought and deeds) between someone who believes in it and their God figure (but which might result in morally sound behaviour).
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 23:34
    Also, what do you consider as the source of sin?
    The "source" of "sin" is religious belief. The "source" of the notion that there is "sinful behaviours" that are manifestations of a 'wilful disobedience of God' is found in the religious belief that such a God exists and that there are such things as "sins" against that God. The "source" of the notion of "original sin", for example, is found in the religious beliefs and thoughts of people who subscribe to certain theological theories.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 04:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Sin - Anything that is "God-eclipsing".

not my definition, but one I came across that made me think
    Well stated, karoly. God's perfect essence is the definitive standard. Thanks.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 04:49
    Would you regard any overt personal behaviors which involve other people [such as murder, drunkenness, theft, fornication or adultery]; or covert personal behaviors which often cluster [such as pride, jealously, bitterness, hatred, vindictiveness, implacability, envy, guilt feelings, worry, anxiety, fear or self pity] as sin? Also, what do you consider as the source of sin?
    Finally, would you regard the overt personal behaviors of communications [speech and written] such as judging, maligning, bullying, gossiping, criticizing and lying sin? "So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life..." James 3:5-6
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 05:04
    Finally, would you regard the overt personal behaviors of communications [speech and written] such as judging, maligning, bullying, gossiping, criticizing and lying sin?
    People would be forgiven for thinking that you are dishing out yet another one of your clumsy ad hominems-writ-large against all those who disagree with you ~ and offer "human criticism"! Was that the real purpose of the thread, I wonder. And I wonder how many threads you have started for this very purpose over the years.

I asked you on page 1 if you personally thought any "sins" are committed by believers in "sin" on this forum and you blanked the question out completely, which suggests that your interest in discussing the topic is not sincere ~ as is so often the case. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree