1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 11:24
    Originally posted by josephw
    Give me all your money.
    The opposite of capitalism is not poverty.

I will go to the trouble of quoting Acts 4:34-35 yet again:

There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet; and distribution was made to each as any had need.

The wealth of the early Jesus community wasn't merely being given away. It was being redistributed in an equitable and egalitarian manner until there was neither any materially rich nor materially poor among them. And they were all richer in spirit for it.

Acts 3:46-47
    And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 15:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Basically.
    Well there you go then. As I have said, we all agree with the golden rule so "sin" should be classified as going against the golden rule. Fair enough?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 15:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well there you go then. As I have said, we all agree with the golden rule so "sin" should be classified as going against the golden rule. Fair enough?
    'Sin' and 'wrongdoing' are not synonymous. 'Sin' is going against the will of god. It is a specifically religious concept. To violate a secular application of the golden rule is a criminal activity, but not a sinful one. You can play loose and fast with the definitions if you want, but the argument devolves into semantics at that point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree