Sinful Lifestyles

Sinful Lifestyles

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by fatalinsomnia
Good topic. It actually makes me have to think - 😉.. Um.... I really don't think I can think of a truly 'sinful' lifestyle. I think some would say homosexuality as being 'sinful', but I tend to think that everything--prostitution, drug abuse, etc., as much as I might or might not disagree with that choice of career--is somehow justified in the end. No ...[text shortened]... them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.)
What's the difference between teh examples you give and prostitution and drugs, aren't all careers to do with them exploiting humans and killing htem in the process? What about fast food sellers they're killing us all!!

w

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by yo its me
What's the difference between teh examples you give and prostitution and drugs, aren't all careers to do with them exploiting humans and killing htem in the process? What about fast food sellers they're killing us all!!
You assume killing people off is a "bad" thing. In fact, some on the left think that humanity is destroying the globe. I heard a woman say that she had an abortion so that the child would not make a "carbon footprint" on the earth. From her perspective, the less people the better. Using this twisted moral compus, she has justified her moral stance by devaluing the entire human race and favoring "mother earth" and everything else on it. The question is, would she kill herself? Interesting.

T

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by whodey
I've talked about this at length here before. It is my opinion that our morality is formed by authority figures in our lives. This includes the state, the clergy, parents, teachers, and even peers etc.

Case in point is the issue of abortion. Before it was legalized the moral consensus was that it was immoral. However, after being legalized the general ...[text shortened]... uld like to be treated simply because they are not like us. In fact, they are beneath us.
Deep down I think we all share the morality of the golden rule which is to do unto others as they would do to you as Jesus taught.

What part of the Golden Rule do you observe when you judge homosexuals as unfit to be members of your church?

You and members of your church expect each other to overlook each others sins when deciding if any of you are fit to be members of your church. However, when it comes to homosexuals, the Golden Rule is only there to be broken.

There are hypocrites and there are HYPOCRITES. You have to be amongst the biggest hypocrites to have ever walked the face of the earth.

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
cut the crap-being apart from "God" is the only 'sin' worth worrying about.
Agreed completely.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Capitalism is a sinful lifestyle.
So you say.
Kelly

w

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]Deep down I think we all share the morality of the golden rule which is to do unto others as they would do to you as Jesus taught.

What part of the Golden Rule do you observe when you judge homosexuals as unfit to be members of your church?

You and members of your church expect each other to overlook each others sins when deciding if any of ...[text shortened]... CRITES. You have to be amongst the biggest hypocrites to have ever walked the face of the earth.[/b]
For the last time, I don't endorse throwing homosexuals out of the church as I would any other sinner. However, if I were in a position of authority and I began openly sinning and then telling those in the church that what I was doing was not really sin, and did not heed warnings of rebuking my leading people astray, then I would fully expect to be kicked out, at least I would hope so.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
04 Oct 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
So you say.
Kelly
So Jesus said.

T

Moves
05 Oct 09
1 edit

For the last time, I don't endorse throwing homosexuals out of the church as I would any other sinner. However, if I were in a position of authority and I began openly sinning and then telling those in the church that what I was doing was not really sin, and did not heed warnings of rebuking my leading people astray, then I would fully expect to be kicked out, at least I would hope so.
"Openly" sinning? Are you now saying that the only time you would rebuke and ostracize a homosexual is if they were having sex in front of the congregation?

If the answer is "No", then would you similarly rebuke and ostracize an obese individual for being "openly" gluttonous? Would you similarly rebuke and ostracize someone who wears expensive clothes, wears expensive jewelry, drives and expensive car, etc., for being "openly" wealthy?

If the answer either of these questions or any similar question is "No", then you are a HYPOCRITE.

Why do you continue to try to deny it? You are what you are.

You can also drop the "position of authority" garbage when referencing members.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Oct 09

So in your relaitve moral world, what makes something "sinful"?
As an atheist, I don't have much use for the concept of 'sin.' But my moral stance is based on human dignity. That which promotes or enhances humanity is good while that which inhibits or harms humanity is bad. There is no absolute standard with which to define that morality and consequently it can, and does, change (within certain parameters) as our understanding evolves.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
05 Oct 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
IYO,how aware do you think someone like Jones was of his 'sinful' ways? What I'm trying to get at here is how much of a part does ignorance play? Did Hitler think he was doing the right thing with his limited wisdom and therefore negate some of the responsibility for his actions? I honestly dont know. What do you think?
That a good one to think about. Hitler most likely felt very justified in what he did. Why does the rest of humankind (Most of the rest) deem what he did as wrong? There has to some straight edge that we measure morality against. other wise anything goes.

Manny

w

Moves
05 Oct 09

As an atheist, I don't have much use for the concept of 'sin.' But my moral stance is based on human dignity. That which promotes or enhances humanity is good while that which inhibits or harms humanity is bad. There is no absolute standard with which to define that morality and consequently it can, and does, change (within certain parameters) as our understanding evolves.
Would it be safe then to assume you follow the "golden rule" which is to do unto others as you would have done to you?

w

Moves
05 Oct 09

Originally posted by menace71
That a good one to think about. Hitler most likely felt very justified in what he did. Why does the rest of humankind (Most of the rest) deem what he did as wrong? There has to some straight edge that we measure morality against. other wise anything goes.

Manny
Deep down I don't believe HItler thought what he was doing is right. After all, he tried to hide it, did he not? If you try to hide your actions, this is a good indication that you really don't believe what you are doing is "good". However, we still have to live with ourselves, eh? So we play mind games with oursevles to rationalize our behavoir. This is what Hitler did as many others do to be able to look themselves in the mirror every day without blowing their heads off.....at least.....not at first. 😛

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Oct 09

Capitalism is a sinful lifestyle.
Give me all your money.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
05 Oct 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
List the sinful lifestyles.
Matthew 7:13 - Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Any "life style" that goes against the way of God is sinful.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
05 Oct 09

Would it be safe then to assume you follow the "golden rule" which is to do unto others as you would have done to you?
Basically.