List the sinful lifestyles.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Oct '09 23:50
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    cut the crap-being apart from "God" is the only 'sin' worth worrying about.
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    03 Oct '09 23:55
    Good topic. It actually makes me have to think - 😉.. Um.... I really don't think I can think of a truly 'sinful' lifestyle. I think some would say homosexuality as being 'sinful', but I tend to think that everything--prostitution, drug abuse, etc., as much as I might or might not disagree with that choice of career--is somehow justified in the end. Nobody ever does what they think is not 'the best thing to do' for them at that time which they do it, so I don't know if there is really a TRULY sinful lifestyle. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about this.

(A second thought: Those who use others for their own selfish/personal gain while knowing exactly what they are doing--e.g., Jim Jones and the notorious 'Jonestown Massacre'... that is what I would come closest to naming sinful. Anyone twisted enough to basically use people for their own gain - and killing them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.)
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 00:03
    Originally posted by fatalinsomnia
    Good topic. It actually makes me have to think - 😉.. Um.... I really don't think I can think of a truly 'sinful' lifestyle. I think some would say homosexuality as being 'sinful', but I tend to think that everything--prostitution, drug abuse, etc., as much as I might or might not disagree with that choice of career--is somehow justified in the end. No ...[text shortened]... them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.)
    Anyone twisted enough to basically use people for their own gain - and killing them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.

George W and the invasion of Iraq came to mind. Does this fit your criteria?
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 00:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Anyone twisted enough to basically use people for their own gain - and killing them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.

George W and the invasion of Iraq came to mind. Does this fit your criteria?[/b]
    I get your point but I don't really follow politics.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 01:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    cut the crap-being apart from "God" is the only 'sin' worth worrying about.
    great post.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 03:43
    Nobody ever does what they think is not 'the best thing to do' for them at that time which they do it, so I don't know if there is really a TRULY sinful lifestyle. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about this.
    You have a point here. No one does what they think is not the best thing to do. So the question then becomes, at what point do our views of what is good for us become skewed? For example, I think perhaps it becomes skewed when our sole goal in life is our own benefit. We often convince ourselves that the best thing for us to do is to try and pleasure or please ourselves at the expense of others, however, where is the fulfillement in that? At the end of the day, what you wind up with often is a lonely existence in which we beome morally bankrupt and spiriuatally empty.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 03:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Anyone twisted enough to basically use people for their own gain - and killing them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.

George W and the invasion of Iraq came to mind. Does this fit your criteria?[/b]
    Woops, for a minute there I thought you were taliking about the Palastinian suicide bombers, but that is not a favorite target of yours is it?
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '09
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 04:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    You have a point here. No one does what they think is not the best thing to do. So the question then becomes, at what point do our views of what is good for us become skewed? For example, I think perhaps it becomes skewed when our sole goal in life is our own benefit. We often convince ourselves that the best thing for us to do is to try and pleasure or p ...[text shortened]... d up with often is a lonely existence in which we beome morally bankrupt and spiriuatally empty.
    I tend to agree. I would then go further to ask what is it that people base their morality (or moral decisions) on? Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but I am curious to know what--in absence of religion--do others base their moral decisions on...
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 05:37
    Good topic. It actually makes me have to think - 😉.. Um.... I really don't think I can think of a truly 'sinful' lifestyle. I think some would say homosexuality as being 'sinful', but I tend to think that everything--prostitution, drug abuse, etc., as much as I might or might not disagree with that choice of career--is somehow justified in the end. No ...[text shortened]... them in the process doesn't help - is sick and might qualify as sinful in my book.)
    IYO,how aware do you think someone like Jones was of his 'sinful' ways? What I'm trying to get at here is how much of a part does ignorance play? Did Hitler think he was doing the right thing with his limited wisdom and therefore negate some of the responsibility for his actions? I honestly dont know. What do you think?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 13:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Woops, for a minute there I thought you were taliking about the Palastinian suicide bombers, but that is not a favorite target of yours is it?
    My favorite targets often involve hypocrisy.

That's why you're one of my favorite targets.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 14:074 edits
    I tend to agree. I would then go further to ask what is it that people base their morality (or moral decisions) on? Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but I am curious to know what--in absence of religion--do others base their moral decisions on...
    I've talked about this at length here before. It is my opinion that our morality is formed by authority figures in our lives. This includes the state, the clergy, parents, teachers, and even peers etc.

Case in point is the issue of abortion. Before it was legalized the moral consensus was that it was immoral. However, after being legalized the general consensus is that it is "OK". Another example is slavery. Back in the day when it was legal, the moral consensus was that it was "OK". However, years after being made illegal the moral consensus is the reverse. In short, whether we like to admit to it or not, we are wired to submit to whom we percieve as moral authorities over us. In this regard, morality is relative.

Having said that, I don't believe that morality is relative overall. Deep down I think we all share the morality of the golden rule which is to do unto others as they would do to you as Jesus taught. So how could the above morality be relative if we all live by the golden rule? Well the first order of business is to dehumanize people in order evade the innate knowledge of the golden rule. For example, the unborn are parasitical lesions, not humans. The black slave is a monkey, not human. The Jew is vermon, not human or the infidel etc etc. Once this dehumanization has successfully been achieved, we no longer must treat others as we would like to be treated simply because they are not like us. In fact, they are beneath us.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 14:12
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    IYO,how aware do you think someone like Jones was of his 'sinful' ways? What I'm trying to get at here is how much of a part does ignorance play? Did Hitler think he was doing the right thing with his limited wisdom and therefore negate some of the responsibility for his actions? I honestly dont know. What do you think?
    I believe that Hitler bought into the notion of racial superiority. Once this had been achieved, he was free to violate them in any way imaginable. You know, it is like trying to remove a cancer from your body. Only through this type of rationalization could he justify to himself and the rest of the world what he was doing.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 14:20
    Capitalism is a sinful lifestyle.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 14:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Capitalism is a sinful lifestyle.
    So in your relaitve moral world, what makes something "sinful"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree