Sinéad O'Connor converts to Islam

Sinéad O'Connor converts to Islam

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Oct 18

I'm sure I'm not the only poster here who thinks that dj2becker, a grown man, adopting a children's TV character as his avatar is a little odd.

w

Moves
26 Oct 18

@fmf said
Topic: a woman.

Cue whodey: facetious comments about her body, what she looks like, her hair, her legs, her buttocks, perhaps later some Benny Hillisms about her sex appeal or some sex related slurs.

Evidence: years and years of reading whodey' posts when women he didn't respect came up on the Debates Forum.
No, it's a serious question

I know of no women in Islam without hair, do you?

I understand that the hijab is an important element to becoming Islamic, but I don't know about having or not having hair.

w

Moves
26 Oct 18

@fmf said
Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor has announced she has converted to Islam.

1992: famously ripped up a photo of the Pope on TV

1992-1999: countless interviews in which she savaged the Catholic Church

1999: despite denunciation by the Catholic Church, she was ordained a priest by a breakaway church

Is this just another poke in the eye with a sharp stick for the Catholic Chu ...[text shortened]... any intelligent theologian's journey"?

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45987127
I understand that she was brutally abused by her mother, both physically and sexually and that it was not long ago that she was on the verge of suicide as a result.

I'm not sure where her hatred for the Catholic church enters the picture. Was her mother Catholic or is she simply outraged by the Catholic church covering up child sex abuse? Or is it a mixture.

Nonetheless, I hope this tortured soul finds peace.

Moves
26 Oct 18

@divegeester said
I'm sure I'm not the only poster here who thinks that dj2becker, a grown man, adopting a children's TV character as his avatar is a little odd.
As odd as the time you claimed to be FMFs lapdog and set your locations as FMFs lap? No, I think yours takes the cake for oddness.

F

Moves
26 Oct 18

@whodey said
No, it's a serious question

I know of no women in Islam without hair, do you?

I understand that the hijab is an important element to becoming Islamic, but I don't know about having or not having hair.
The hijab is not obligatory for religious reasons and, as far as I know, interpretations of scripture that argue wearing them is mandatory are widely seen as mistaken or overzealous. It is merely a social custom in several countries and not among all Muslims. The social or cultural obligation can be very strong or, in some instances, even literally irresistable. However, tens of millions of Muslim women don't wear hijab scarves in the country where I live.

w

Moves
26 Oct 18

@fmf said
The hijab is not obligatory for religious reasons and, as far as I know, interpretations of scripture that argue wearing them is mandatory are widely seen as mistaken or overzealous. It is merely a social custom in several countries and not among all Muslims. The social or cultural obligation can be very strong or, in some instances, even literally irresistable. However, tens of millions of Muslim women don't wear hijab scarves in the country where I live.
So where does the hatred towards the Catholic church originate?

Was it her being sexually abused?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
26 Oct 18

Nothing interesting here.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
26 Oct 18
1 edit

@whodey said
I understand that the hijab is an important element to becoming Islamic, but
Your "understanding" is incorrect.
If you had a wider world view or had traveled you would know that.

Some countries prescribe the hijab by law but it is not a requirement for being Muslim.

edit: I see FMF beat me to it!

F

Moves
27 Oct 18

@whodey said
So where does the hatred towards the Catholic church originate?

Was it her being sexually abused?
Don't know. I am not aware of any. The 1992 Pope photo ripping stunt on live TV was a protest about sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

Moves
27 Oct 18

@divegeester said
Romans1009 kicked off the site for creepy stalking and repeated use of spamming accounts of children getting drunk and approached by adults in bars

Romans1009 claimed to live in Connecticut

dj2becker aka Fetchmyjunk and long time admirer of Romans1009 adopts children's TV iconic character, Daniel Tiger, as his avatar

Coincidentally Daniel Tiger's creator, Angela Santomero lives in Connecticut with her husband Greg
And your point is?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
27 Oct 18

SOC has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp

mlb62

Moves
09 Nov 18

who cares? all she ever did was have one hit song and shave her head..big deal..

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

I seem to recollect that, in 1999, in regards to becoming... a Priest... :eyeroll: she also said that hse was sticking up for the church by doing so. IDK. I take her word for it that, at least on some level, she had some perceived fondness for the Church, however unconventional that fondness was.

I took a look at her twitter recently and it had all these videos of her whispering at the camera in hijab, and often ... kind of incomprehensible content and tweets, that would just explode out of nowhere.

I think she is disturbed, honestly, and I wish the best for her. I do not want to sound condescending but I think she needs some help, and this has nothing to do with her conversion. Plenty of people convert that do not need it. She just seems to.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Nov 18

@ogb said
who cares? all she ever did was have one hit song and shave her head..big deal..
As opposed to your achievements which are ...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
I do not want to sound condescending but
Try harder.