1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 14:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If some christians handles snakes and see this as a christian deed - then it must be a chrsistian deed, becuase christians don't lie, do they?
    Considering that Christians don't speak for all other Christians, to some snake handling may indeed be a Christian deed, but that does not make it a Christian deed!
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:41
    Fabian,
    You Typed:
    ----------------
    If some christians handles snakes and see this as a christian deed - then it must be a chrsistian deed, becuase christians don't lie, do they?
    ----------------

Christians can lie because they are ignorant or because they no better and still lie. Christians are sinners.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '14 15:46
    Fabian,
    Where in the bible are Christians taught to handle snakes on purpose? Where are Christians taught to purposefully pick up snakes and hold them just to prove something, "spiritual?"
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 08:211 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Considering that Christians don't speak for all other Christians, to some snake handling may indeed be a Christian deed, but that does not make it a Christian deed!

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Fabian,
    Where in the bible are Christians taught to handle snakes on purpose? Where are Christians taught to purposefully pick up snakes and hold them just to prove something, "spiritual?"
    That's the big paradox of christianity. Christianity is so heterogenic. No two christians believe the same. And sometimes different denomination are going to war to each other, just to prove the they are right and have god with them. And the funny part is that the other denomination are doing the same.

Ask the snakehandlers if they think they are true christians...

I don't know exactly where the snake handlers gets their funny information from, but I'm sure it's googlable.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 11:32
    That's the big paradox of christianity. Christianity is so heterogenic. No two christians believe the same. And sometimes different denomination are going to war to each other, just to prove the they are right and have god with them. And the funny part is that the other denomination are doing the same.

Ask the snakehandlers if they think they are true ...[text shortened]... exactly where the snake handlers gets their funny information from, but I'm sure it's googlable.
    That's the big paradox of christianity

It's not a paradox at all, just a lack of knowledge and understanding. Your statement is like saying all blue eye blond haired men like redheads.

We all live in different parts of the word, come from different cultures, have been taught different things. The fundamental beliefs of Christianity are the same. Some like their worship music loud, some prefer a more subdued worship environment, some like hynms while others prefer contemporary. Still others like the 'traditional' church style building, and others are content with the strip mall rented space for their church. At the end of the day these things are petty and really mean very little as it relates to the big picture. God is bigger than all of this stuff, do you see my point?

If some want to handle vipers, that's their problem... just don't get bit.

The scripture about picking up snakes comes from Mark.

Mark 16:17-19
    New International Version (NIV)

17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 11:57
    That's the big paradox of christianity

It's not a paradox at all, just a lack of knowledge and understanding.
    We all live in different parts of the word, come from different cultures, have been taught different things. The fundamental beliefs of Christianity are the same. Some like their worship music loud, some prefer a more subdued wor ...[text shortened]... as it relates to the big picture. God is bigger than all of this stuff, do you see my point?
    I see your point. And let me extrapolate it some:
    I say that christians, muslims and jews are the same religion. Samo, samo.

"Some like their worship music loud, some prefer a more subdued worship environment, some like hynms while others prefer contemporary." But it is still the same god, just seen in different ways.

"God is bigger than all of this stuff, do you see my point?" Yes, I do.

Yet still, people goes to war just to make the point that "god is mine, not yours".

And christians say that I am crazy making this extrapolation. Some are very offended by being telled that Allah, Jahve, Jehova, and the good old god is the same god.

And there are christians who say that you are not a proper christian if you don't embrace YEC creationism, if you accept others homosexuality, if you use blood transfusion to save your own life, if you don't believe in the global flooding, if you don't accept the demon concept, etc etc. To some (them) the religion of christianity is a very very small religion, to others (you) the christianity is a very large religion.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 12:47
    I see your point. And let me extrapolate it some:
    I say that christians, muslims and jews are the same religion. Samo, samo.

"Some like their worship music loud, some prefer a more subdued worship environment, some like hynms while others prefer contemporary." But it is still the same god, just seen in different ways.

"God is bigger than all of th ...[text shortened]... ianity is a very very small religion, to others (you) the christianity is a very large religion.
    I thought the discussion was Christian's and snake handling. Why do you try to confuse the matter by introducing other faiths and beliefs. We call this bait and switch, why do you do this?

And christians say that I am crazy making this extrapolation. Some are very offended by being telled that Allah, Jahve, Jehova, and the good old god is the same god.

I have not been reading your posts for very long, but I don't recall anyone saying you were crazy.

Funny thing is, any of those other faith's would say the same thing that you are alluding to. Why do you have a hard on for Christians, it seems like you just want to argue or poke fun, am I right? Poke some fun at Islam or Judaism the same way you do Christians and see where that gets you, my guess is you may be met with some strong resistance, much more than what you get from Christians.

Yet still, people goes to war just to make the point that "god is mine, not yours".

People go to war for one reason, self interest! Faith, religion, terrorism, etc. is used as the catalyst.

And there are christians who say that you are not a proper christian if you don't embrace YEC creationism, if you accept others homosexuality, if you use blood transfusion to save your own life, if you don't believe in the global flooding, if you don't accept the demon concept, etc etc. To some (them) the religion of christianity is a very very small religion, to others (you) the christianity is a very large religion.

Truth is, I will examine doctrine, theology, etc. that someone has to offer in light of how I believe a thing to see if there is merit in accordance with the scripture. Global flooding, YEC, etc. does not matter to me, different view points which don't matter one way or another, we can agree to disagree... neither has all the answers.

Small religion, large religion... this is how I believe.

Matthew 7:13-15

New International Version (NIV)
    The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

FabianFnas

I think you owe it to yourself to honest examination of the scriptures. You say you have Christian friends, talk to them, ask questions, read... God meets all right were we are if we look for him.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:00
    I thought the discussion was Christian's and snake handling. Why do you try to confuse the matter by introducing other faiths and beliefs. We call this bait and switch, why do you do this?

[quote]And christians say that I am crazy making this extrapolation. Some are very offended by being telled that Allah, Jahve, Jehova, and the good old god is the s ...[text shortened]... riends, talk to them, ask questions, read... God meets all right were we are if we look for him.
    Snake handling is a part of the christian beliefs. You gave us the bible reference. Ask the snake handlers themselves and they will answer affirmative.

There are more christians than in this RHP community. One was very upset when I told her that "Allah" is arabic for "God". She thought that I had demons in me for thinking this way. I don't remember if she used the word "crazy", but believe me, something alike it was.

I have the same reason to read the holy bible as I have to read the holy Koran. And to be frank, there are a lot of lousy passages between the valuable places. We have a lot of interesting discussions, my cristian friends an me. They respect my beliefs, and I respect theirs. We have a good time. They are sure that I don't want to convert them, and I am sure they will not convert me. Mutual respect, that is.

When I ask questions, I ask to learn. Not to convert to christianity, nor islam, nor anything else.

but you want to discuss snake handling. Why do you think a snake handler was bitten to death? Wasn't his faith strong enough? Or do you think god made a good point there...?
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:171 edit
    Snake handling is a part of the christian beliefs. You gave us the bible reference. Ask the snake handlers themselves and they will answer affirmative.

There are more christians than in this RHP community. One was very upset when I told her that "Allah" is arabic for "God". She thought that I had demons in me for thinking this way. I don't remember if ...[text shortened]... bitten to death? Wasn't his faith strong enough? Or do you think god made a good point there...?
    Why do you think a snake handler was bitten to death? Wasn't his faith strong enough? Or do you think god made a good point there...?

Couldn't tell you, didn't know the guy. I suppose if you play with snakes you might get bit.

The question really is... is the manner that the guy bit by the snake in accordance with the scripture and what it means? I think what the scripture says is not what was meant by the way the guy was handling the snakes in this case... different interpretations.

I do believe the Word to be true, we sometimes don't understand what is meant.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:231 edit
    Why do you think a snake handler was bitten to death? Wasn't his faith strong enough? Or do you think god made a good point there...?

Couldn't tell you, didn't know the guy. I suppose if you play with snakes you might get bit.

The question really is... is the manner that the guy bit by the snake in accordance with the scripture and wh ...[text shortened]... terpretations.

So your dogma is that the bible is correct in to the smallest letter. You have the faith that the bible brings the truth, and nothing but the truth? Then you should study Thread 158360 (and remember, I didn't name that thread.)
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:421 edit
    So your dogma is that the bible is correct in to the smallest letter. You have the faith that the bible brings the truth, and nothing but the truth? Then you should study Thread 158360 (and remember, I didn't name that thread.)
    So your dogma is that the bible is correct in to the smallest letter.

You have the faith that the bible brings the truth, and nothing but the truth?

I believe the Spirit brings truth.

John 16:12-15

King James Version (KJV)

12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Then you should study Thread 158360 (and remember, I didn't name that thread.)

Why?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:46
    Then you should study Thread 158360 (and remember, I didn't name that thread.)

Why?
    Because this thread puts the finger of especially one instance of a non-fact in the bible, like a proof that the bible can be wrong. It's not true in its entirety.

The bible is written by man. Further, it is interpreted by man. Just like the Nostradamus' prophecies.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 13:59
    Because this thread puts the finger of especially one instance of a non-fact in the bible, like a proof that the bible can be wrong. It's not true in its entirety.

The bible is written by man. Further, it is interpreted by man. Just like the Nostradamus' prophecies.
    I think I defer to my earlier comments on this. Again, why introduce other faiths, religions or beliefs, i.e. Nostradamus in to the argument.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:05
    Again, why introduce other faiths, religions or beliefs, i.e. Nostradamus in to the argument.
    Because there are so many similarities between the bible and the scripts of Nostradamus.
    Both are written by man. Both have to be heavily interpreted. Both are regarded as the ultimate truths by their respective followers.
    That's why I bring up Nostradamus and his scripts.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:151 edit
    Because there are so many similarities between the bible and the scripts of Nostradamus.
    Both are written by man. Both have to be heavily interpreted. Both are regarded as the ultimate truths by their respective followers.
    That's why I bring up Nostradamus and his scripts.
    Should stick to the OP, me thinks... less confusion. If you want to discuss about Nosty, maybe start another thread? Just thinking out loud here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree