1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:23
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Should stick to the OP, me thinks... less confusion. If you want to discuss about Nosty, maybe start another thread? Just thinking out loud here.
    I just doing a parallel, nothing more. Different scriptures, used the same way.

What I think we both agree upon the following:
    (1) Some people handle snakes. If they want to do it, then it's up to them.
    (2) There are several denominations inside the christian community.They share the core belief (which is...?) but differ in details, like snake handling.
    (3) Even christian people doesn't always accept how other christians people believe. And some even get violent when they discover this.
    (4) Would you like to add anything in this list...?
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:36
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I just doing a parallel, nothing more. Different scriptures, used the same way.

What I think we both agree upon the following:
    (1) Some people handle snakes. If they want to do it, then it's up to them.
    (2) There are several denominations inside the christian community.They share the core belief (which is...?) but differ in details, like snake handli ...[text shortened]... e even get violent when they discover this.
    (4) Would you like to add anything in this list...?
    Do you as a Swede like the German soccer team? If not why not? It is the same basic principle, guys running around in shorts kicking a ball (basic principles), different 'denomination or country in this case'. I have heard soccer fans getting violent over a game to the point of killing. This behavior, although not desired is not strange or unheard of. Do you see the correlation?

No, I really would rather not add to your list, thanks though.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:50
    Do you as a Swede like the German soccer team? If not why not? It is the same basic principle, guys running around in shorts kicking a ball (basic principles), different 'denomination or country in this case'. I have heard soccer fans getting violent over a game to the point of killing. This behavior, although not desired is not strange or unheard of. Do you see the correlation?

No, I really would rather not add to your list, thanks though.
    I see your parallel, even if the socker example is a bit off-topic. 🙂

Well, there are violent socker fans, and there are the nice socker fans. I hope you know in which group I belong.
    I cheer primarily the Swedish team, of course, especially when we meet the German ones. But when Germany is playing against, say, USA, I cheer the Germans.
    The Swedish hero, Zlatan Ibrahimowich, is currently playing for Paris, and therefore I have a good eye in that direction too.

Do you say that you would cheer another denomination, only because they are christians? Careful now, think about Anti-Balaka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-balaka)
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 14:561 edit
    I see your parallel, even if the socker example is a bit off-topic. 🙂

Well, there are violent socker fans, and there are the nice socker fans. I hope you know in which group I belong.
    I cheer primarily the Swedish team, of course, especially when we meet the German ones. But when Germany is playing against, say, USA, I cheer the Germans.
    The Swedis ...[text shortened]... are christians? Careful now, think about Anti-Balaka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-balaka)
    Well I didn't say I would cheer anyone, additionally it's not about soccer but a parallel. Teams are like denominations, different but have the same basic beliefs... in most cases.

If you would ask me about the Congo people, I would say if they are killing in the name of Christ, they are clearly wrong, Jesus commended us to love our neighbor as ourselves, not kill them.

I hope I have articulated what I am trying to say, I know sometimes I have trouble in that area, good discussion though.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 15:40
    Well I didn't say I would cheer anyone, additionally it's not about soccer but a parallel. Teams are like denominations, different but have the same basic beliefs... in most cases. I hope I have articulated what I am trying to say, I know sometimes I have trouble in that area, good discussion though.
    I know, it's a parallel.

If I was a christian, I would 'cheer' other denominations if they are sufficiently near my own beliefs. I wouldn't 'cheer' those that is different from mine in some way that I cannot stand. So ecumenics has in fact a border I wouldn't cross. Other christians has a very wide border, like they 'cheer' the jewish people in their derby with the Palestinians.

Are the snake handlers close enough? Or are they just a funny little denomination of hill-billies, nothing to care about.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 16:04
    I know, it's a parallel.

If I was a christian, I would 'cheer' other denominations if they are sufficiently near my own beliefs. I wouldn't 'cheer' those that is different from mine in some way that I cannot stand. So ecumenics has in fact a border I wouldn't cross. Other christians has a very wide border, like they 'cheer' the jewish people in their ...[text shortened]... ose enough? Or are they just a funny little denomination of hill-billies, nothing to care about.
    Are the snake handlers close enough? Or are they just a funny little denomination of hill-billies, nothing to care about.

Close enough to what? I think they are a fascination to some and the media for the purpose of putting a sour face on Christendom. Hill-billies? perhaps, I don't know, they certainly are not to be hated or despised because they play with snakes. It is not something I would do and don't agree with, because as I alluded to earlier, I think they take the scripture out of context.

As Christians we should love our neighbors as ourselves and pray for our enemies.

Luke 6:26-28

New International Version (NIV)

27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

I think that about covers it, we are all responsible for our own actions.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 16:18

Close enough to what? I think they are a fascination to some and the media for the purpose of putting a sour face on Christendom. Hill-billies? perhaps, I don't know, they certainly are not to be hated or despised b ...[text shortened]... e who mistreat you.

I think that about covers it, we are all responsible for our own actions.
    "Close enough?" Close enough to our own denomination.

Well, there are people who think we have demons in us if we are not YEC creationists. They have no love to 'their neighbours'. They are very on their edge. According to them christianity is a very small religion.

I think there are too many christians who leave their brain behind. they rely on others thinking, and love when they get their beliefs served like in a restaurant. If we ask them too much, they feel uneasy, perhaps go to counterattack and become insultive. Because they think, no they know! that they are right and everyone else are prone to demons.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 17:27

Well, there are people who think we have demons in us if we are not YEC creationists. They have no love to 'their neighbours'. They are very on their edge. According to them christianity is a very small religion.

I think there are too many christians who leave their brain behind. they rely on oth ...[text shortened]... ve. Because they think, no they know! that they are right and everyone else are prone to demons.
    Close enough?" Close enough to our own denomination.

I don't belong to a denomination, we are non-denominational and I never seen anyone handle snakes as a part of a sermon/service, so... different.

This is not a issue that is unique to Christians, the behavior is a human condition, people from all walks of life behave this way. People who kill another are not doing it because they love. Just as an aside, you mentioned YEC 2-3 times now, has someone offended you in the way you describe?

I think there are too many christians who leave their brain behind. they rely on others thinking, and love when they get their beliefs served like in a restaurant. If we ask them too much, they feel uneasy, perhaps go to counterattack and become insultive.

No doubt, non-christians also do the same thing! It's not unique.

Also, what faith do you adhere to?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 17:58
    I think that is why those of faith come to the spirituality forums. We are all drawn to snake handling. 😵
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 18:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think that is why those of faith come to the spirituality forums. We are all drawn to snake handling. 😵
    I like it!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '14 23:24
    I like it!
    Still stand'in!! 😵
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Mar '14 00:50

I think there are too many christians who leave their brain behind. they rely on oth ...[text shortened]... ve. Because they think, no they know! that they are right and everyone else are prone to demons.
    You may have demons in you, but it is not because you are not a YEC Christian.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '14 05:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You may have demons in you, but it is not because you are not a YEC Christian.
    Well, you know them. They are your buddiews.
  14. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    18 Mar '14 10:11
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Snake handling. What our your thoughts? I personally wouldn't do it. You could shortten your life and die before your appointed time.

One of my pastors started in Columbia and was first going to go to an Asian country but felt lead to go to Columbia. He heard The Lord tell him that there is no stray bullet for a Christian as long as he is doing God's will. ...[text shortened]... ppointed time.

http://www.eternallifeblog.com/2014/02/17/jamie-coots-snake-handling-fatality/
    it's totally safe with the right antivenom. but swimming on top of stingrays is something i would never do, god bless him.
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Mar '14 10:32
    Bump Fabian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree