1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    argumentum ad populum, many people believe it therefore legislation which makes discrimination against those who practice homosexuality illegal must be a good idea - logically fallacious and nonsensical, next you will be telling us that because eight out of ten cats prefer kitikat its the best catfood on the market!
    Do you think, and I mean at all, before you post?

josephw made the claim that only a minority supports gay rights, and I provided evidence proving that
    wrong.

Nowhere did I make the claim that because a majority thinks that discrimination is wrong that proves
    that discrimination was wrong.
    Therefore I did not make an 'ad populum' argument.

A majority of the population [in the USA] is opposed to discrimination BECAUSE we have good
    arguments and evidence to show that such discrimination is bad and immoral.
    Some of which you can find in the very article I linked to.

Please remember that I know allot more about logical fallacies than you do, and am far less prone to
    committing them.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Your ability to get the wrong end of the stick so often is truly remarkable. Do you have some sort of learning disability we should know of or are you just plain dense Robert?
    another appeal to personal considerations rather than addressing the content of the post. Its practically par for the course for you Proper Boofhead.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    argumentum ad populum, many people believe it therefore legislation which makes discrimination against those who practice homosexuality illegal must be a good idea - logically fallacious and nonsensical, next you will be telling us that because eight out of ten cats prefer kitikat its the best catfood on the market!
    Why didn't you mention this argumentum ad populam thing to josephw when he referred to "the vast majority" of society that supposedly agree with him?
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:39
    another appeal to personal considerations rather than addressing the content of the post. Its practically par for the course for you Proper Boofhead.
    He did address the content of the post. He expressed his amazement at your ability to
    totally misunderstand even the most simple of posts.

See my response for the details of why your post was so far off the mark.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Do you think, and I mean at all, before you post?

josephw made the claim that only a minority supports gay rights, and I provided evidence proving that
    wrong.

Nowhere did I make the claim that because a majority thinks that discrimination is wrong that proves
    that discrimination was wrong.
    Therefore I did not make an 'ad populum' argument.

...[text shortened]... know allot more about logical fallacies than you do, and am far less prone to
    committing them.
    ok perhaps i should read your text with more than a casual nonchalant attitude but that would mean i would need to take them seriously. Fat chance of that 😀
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:421 edit
    He did address the content of the post. He expressed his amazement at your ability to
    totally misunderstand even the most simple of posts.

See my response for the details of why your post was so far off the mark.
    yes yes i seen try to keep your knickers on. 😀
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:52
    Dense it is then.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 13:59
    ok perhaps i should read your text with more than a casual nonchalant attitude but that would mean i would need to take them seriously. Fat chance of that 😀
    You are free to ignore my posts and/or not take them seriously.
    However when you respond to my posts having not bothered to read them you should
    recognise the significant risk you run of appearing exceptionally stupid when your response
    bears no relationship to the post you are replying to.

Given your enhanced vision of your own... what was the word you use... majesty... you
    might want to take this into consideration.

Which brings me back to... Do you think, and I mean at all, before you post?

Don't worry... That question was rhetorical.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 14:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think that if a creator exists as you have described, then it isn't so smart.

[b]You would be so much more capable if only you could have been the Creator?

I certainly would not have created diseases that cause untold suffering.

Gee, I seem to recall some one else saying that in Isaiah chapter 14!
    🙄

Maybe he was right.
    I also feel ...[text shortened]... verses, you'll have more luck upsetting them (just don't be surprised when they call you on it).[/b]
    Well if you had a better understanding of the bible, you would know that God did not create STD's. Your god did. Also known as the god of this world.
    In fact God warns mankind that sin leads to death. He also gives us a hint, "choose life" that you may live.
    He even loves you twitehead!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 14:051 edit
    You are free to ignore my posts and/or not take them seriously.
    However when you respond to my posts having not bothered to read them you should
    recognise the significant risk you run of appearing exceptionally stupid when your response
    bears no relationship to the post you are replying to.

Given your enhanced vision of your own... what was the w ...[text shortened]... o you think, and I mean at all, before you post?

Don't worry... That question was rhetorical.
    thanks for the unsolicited advice, but hmmm if you don't mind I'll just dismiss it and carry on as before treating them with a nonchalant detachment as perhaps one does graffiti on a derelict wall.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 14:51
    Yes we have the highest ever recorded figures for HIV among gay men in the UK, but hey its all supposed to be good, you dare not say a thing or they will have your job and your livelihood.
    I think the fact that HIV infection rates among gay men are higher is fairly well-known and not at all controversial, as is the fact that obesity rates are higher among heterosexual men. These are serious health issues that ask for serious solutions and I certainly don't understand who you attempt to be addressing with your "supposed to be good" strawman.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 15:023 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Well if you had a better understanding of the bible, you would know that God did not create STD's. Your god did. Also known as the god of this world.
    And who created that god and set him loose on the world?

In fact God warns mankind that sin leads to death. He also gives us a hint, "choose life" that you may live.

So you say, but given your dishonesty so far, I don't think you are to be trusted.
    The statistics on the other hand tell a very different story. It seems life expectancy is pretty good in Japan. Do they sin less perhaps?

I might also point out that your understanding of the Bible is worse than mine, a lowly atheist. Really sad given that you claim to have studied it for 40 years.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 15:05
    And who created that god and set him loose on the world?

[b]In fact God warns mankind that sin leads to death. He also gives us a hint, "choose life" that you may live.

So you say, but given your dishonesty so far, I don't think you are to be trusted.
    The statistics on the other hand tell a very different story. It seems life expectancy is pretty good in Japan. Do they sin less perhaps?[/b]
    Really? I've been dishonest?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 15:07
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Really? I've been dishonest?
    Yes, you have lied several times, denied saying something you did say, and a number of other dishonest actions. Would you like me to list them all? It could get embarrassing.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 15:15
    Yes, you have lied several times, denied saying something you did say, and a number of other dishonest actions. Would you like me to list them all? It could get embarrassing.
    Sure, I'm not embarrassed. I'm not perfect, nor let opinions bother me. In fact it might be helpful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree