Some Iconoclasm, VS?.

Some Iconoclasm, VS?.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 Sep 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
the imaginary spaghetti monster answers exactly the same amount of prayers as your imaginary biblegod does. but i wouldn't appeal to either of them. appealing to imaginary things is your domain.
My God is not imaginary. He answers prayers every day. One thing mortal man must recognize, though, is that, very often, the answer is "no".

One thing I find amazing is that every single day, God gives me just enough courage and strength to get through that one day. And I am grateful.

The narcissistic one is man, not God.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 Sep 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
My God is not imaginary. He answers prayers every day. One thing mortal man must recognize, though, is that, very often, the answer is "no".

One thing I find amazing is that every single day, God gives me just enough courage and strength to get through that one day. And I am grateful.

What's the best thing God has done in answer to one of your prayers?

Cape Town

Moves
15 Sep 12

The interesting thing is that imaginary gods answer 'yes' and 'no' with exactly the same frequency as your not imaginary God. So I am afraid you cannot use the fact that he answers your prayers as evidence that he is not imaginary.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
16 Sep 12
1 edit

yeah, i know. the not-imaginary flying spaghetti monster also very often answers "no."

gods are like that.

i can get through the day with enough courage and strength without an imaginary friend. why do you feel that you need such a crutch? who told you that you needed one?

i didn't say god is narcissistic. i said biblegod is narcissistic and if you don't think so then clearly, you have not read the bible. it describes biblegod at the biggest vainglorious narcissistic creep in the universe.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
The interesting thing is that imaginary gods answer 'yes' and 'no' with exactly the same frequency as your not imaginary God. So I am afraid you cannot use the fact that he answers your prayers as evidence that he is not imaginary.
But, obviously, an imaginary god may answer 'yes', but has no power to follow through. This is what separates God from the imaginary.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 12

yeah, i know. the not-imaginary flying spaghetti monster also very often answers "no."

gods are like that.

i can get through the day with enough courage and strength without an imagina ...[text shortened]... ible. it describes biblegod at the biggest vainglorious narcissistic creep in the universe.
"i can get through the day with enough courage and strength without an imaginary friend. why do you feel that you need such a crutch? who told you that you needed one?"

No, of course I do not always NEED His help (and no, no one TOLD me I needed it, I experienced it firsthand that He is capable of things I could not do myself). I could struggle along, just like everyone else, and fail, just like everyone else. I resent you calling the gifts God grants to me a "crutch". It skews the very concept of what they really are. A gift.

"i didn't say god is narcissistic. i said biblegod is narcissistic..."

So do you often answer questions with "yes and no", or "true and false"? I thought it was clear to you that this entity you refer to as "biblegod" is the same as the God of Abraham. This God IS my God. And His narcissism has nothing on Man's narcissism. I'd like you to point me to exactly where in the Bible it describes God as "the biggest vainglorious narcissistic creep in the universe", as you claim. This actually sounds way more like Satan to me (and, by extension, Man).

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
What's the best thing God has done in answer to one of your prayers?
I really do not want to go into details of my private life. Suffice it to say that when I was 18, God delivered me from a man who had imprisoned me in his house for 2 years. My father and friends of his broke down the door of the house (today it would be called a home invasion) and rescued me from this man. He told me years later that at the time, he had no idea who lived there and his friends had tried to talk him out of it since he had no evidence. I believe he was guided there by an angel of God. That's all I'll say about it. It's distant past now.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
16 Sep 12
2 edits

"i can get through the day with enough courage and strength without an imaginary friend. why do you feel that you need such a crutch? who told you that you needed one?"

No, of course I do not always NEED His help (and no, no one TOLD me I needed it, I experienced it firsthand that He is capable of things I could not do myself). I could struggle gifts God grants to me a "crutch". It skews the very concept of what they really are. A gift.
earlier you have stated that the holy spirit makes your life worth living and that "every single day" biblegod gives you courage and strength to get through the day.

the implication from your statements concerning biblegod are that you do need him and that need is a crutch because without biblegod as you state, you wouldn't be able to get through the day and your life wouldn't be worth living.

somebody taught you that psychological dependence, it did not come naturally. so you are at this time not being honest with your reply.

So do you often answer questions with "yes and no", or "true and false"? I thought it was clear to you that this entity you refer to as "biblegod" is the same as the God of Abraham. This God IS my God.

yes, and keep in mind that when i mention the characteristics of biblegod, it is your particular god that i'm talking about. many other god concepts exist and we wouldn't want to confuse the issue by specifying "god" as a general case, especially when discussing its characteristics.

And His narcissism has nothing on Man's narcissism.

you're right. biblegod is a cosmic psychopath. man has nothing on that.

I'd like you to point me to exactly where in the Bible it describes God as "the biggest vainglorious narcissistic creep in the universe", as you claim. This actually sounds way more like Satan to me (and, by extension, Man).

are you kidding? just pick up the bible and start reading from any point. the entire book from front to end is a testament to his vanity and narcissism.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 12
1 edit

earlier you have stated that the holy spirit makes your life worth living and that "every single day" biblegod gives you courage and strength to get through the day.

the implication from your statements concerning biblegod are that you do need him and that need is a crutch because without biblegod as you state, you wouldn't be able to get throug he entire book from front to end is a testament to his vanity and narcissism.
You are skewing every single thing I'm saying. The bigger picture I am trying to maintain here is that my life is enriched over what it would be like without God. Of course I could muddle through without God, just like nearly every one else on the planet does, but with Him, my life is better than it would be without Him. That's my point.

It's like saying that readily available electricity in our homes has enhanced our lives, and then to ask "why do you need that crutch?" Sure, we *could* "get by" without electricity, but the fact is that it enhances our lives to the point of why in the world would we do without it when we don't *have* to?

"you're right. biblegod is a cosmic psychopath. man has nothing on that."

Stop skewing what I say! Read it again, and realize I said the opposite. Why would you start by saying I'm right and then state the opposite of what I just said? Only to make me appear to say something I didn't.

"yes, and keep in mind that when i mention the characteristics of biblegod, it is your particular god that i'm talking about. many other god concepts exist and we wouldn't want to confuse the issue by specifying "god" as a general case, especially when discussing its characteristics."

So you do it again. You say Yes, then go on with something else appearing to be the same as what I said, when it's not. Forget the concepts of other gods. You're talking to me, and you KNOW I would not be speaking of other gods as God. You know my God is the God of Abraham, the one you call 'biblegod'. Why, then, start by saying you did not call 'god' narcissistic, and then go on to say you called my God narcissistic? My point was that God (my God, the God of Abraham, your 'biblegod' ) is NOT narcissistic. You just steamrolled right over my point with your obfuscation.

"are you kidding? just pick up the bible and start reading from any point. the entire book from front to end is a testament to his vanity and narcissism."

Obviously we're not reading the same Bible. Either that, or your beliefs (or rather, "nonbeliefs" ) are getting in the way of your reading comprehension. The reasons for His actions are in the text. It clearly states, time and again, that Vengeance is His. It's NOT ours. And therefore we cannot judge His vengeance based on our human ideas of the sins of man.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
16 Sep 12

You are skewing every single thing I'm saying. The bigger picture I am trying to maintain here is that my life is enriched over what it would be like without God. Of course I could muddle through without God, just like nearly every one else on the planet does, but with Him, my life is better than it would be without Him. That's my point.
okay, so we went from (paraphrasing) "cant' live without him" and "saved my life" to "well, he just gives me fulfillment and that's my point"

had you said that from the start, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Stop skewing what I say! Read it again, and realize I said the opposite. Why would you start by saying I'm right and then state the opposite of what I just said? Only to make me appear to say something I didn't.

that's not what it looked like from where i'm reading. what you said is:

"And His narcissism has nothing on Man's narcissism."

it looks like you are confirming that he is narcissistic, but not in the same was as a man can be narcissistic. i agreed. biblegod's narcissism is at the cosmic level, man can never hope to achieve that scale of narcissism.

So you do it again. You say Yes, then go on with something else appearing to be the same as what I said, when it's not. Forget the concepts of other gods. You're talking to me, and you KNOW I would not be speaking of other gods as God. You know my God is the God of Abraham, the one you call 'biblegod'. Why, then, start by saying you did not call 'god' narcissistic, and then go on to say you called my God narcissistic? My point was that God (my God, the God of Abraham, your 'biblegod' ) is NOT narcissistic. You just steamrolled right over my point with your obfuscation.

there are other readers here, adherents of other gods and to none at all. the clarification is necessary. i specifically stated that biblegod is narcissistic. i'm well familiar with biblegod's attributes and i can back up what i state (which i did so in a separate thread).

Obviously we're not reading the same Bible. Either that, or your beliefs (or rather, "nonbeliefs" ) are getting in the way of your reading comprehension. The reasons for His actions are in the text. It clearly states, time and again, that Vengeance is His. It's NOT ours. And therefore we cannot judge His vengeance based on our human ideas of the sins of man.

no, we are reading the same bible, but since you are one of people who feeds biblegod's narcissistic supply in the hopes of getting his flattery and reward, you would not be very keen on discovering his narcissistic disorder. you have a certain disorder of your own that can only be filled by having this narcissistic creature in your thoughts.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Sep 12

okay, so we went from (paraphrasing) "cant' live without him" and "saved my life" to "well, he just gives me fulfillment and that's my point"

[quote]
Stop skewing what I say! Read it again, and realize I said the opposite. Why would you start by saying I'm right and then st ...[text shortened]... be filled by having this narcissistic creature in your thoughts.
I have nothing further to say that I haven't already said.

So you disagree. That's cool, but don't try to hold up what I say as some ravings of a lunatic mind.

I'm done here, but only because you've shown you'll disagree with practically anything I could say on this point, so what's the use?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Sep 12

[quote]
Stop skewing what I say! Read it again, and realize I said the opposite. Why would you start by saying I'm right and then st ...[text shortened]... be filled by having this narcissistic creature in your thoughts.
You are following in the footsteps of your father and god. It is a shame how deceived you are.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
16 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
You are following in the footsteps of your father and god. It is a shame how deceived you are.
your making less sense than usual. i think you better call your pharmacy about the meds mixup.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Sep 12

I really do not want to go into details of my private life. Suffice it to say that when I was 18, God delivered me from a man who had imprisoned me in his house for 2 years. My father and friends of his broke down the door of the house (today it would be called a home invasion) and rescued me from this man. He told me years later that at the time, he had ...[text shortened]... e was guided there by an angel of God. That's all I'll say about it. It's distant past now.
Crazy story, and i respect your right to not divulge details of your private life. Suffice to say though, i would obviously disagree on the 'angel of God' bit.

Here's a question for you - there have no doubt been countless people throughout history who have found themselves in a harmful situation (such as you did), and as a result of the impending harm have prayed to God for help and no help was forthcoming. Why do you think God doesn't save everyone's life who prays for his help?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Sep 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Crazy story, and i respect your right to not divulge details of your private life. Suffice to say though, i would obviously disagree on the 'angel of God' bit.

Here's a question for you - there have no doubt been countless people throughout history who have found themselves in a harmful situation (such as you did), and as a result of the impending ha ...[text shortened]... was forthcoming. Why do you think God doesn't save everyone's life who prays for his help?
Who are some of these people and how do you know they were in harms way and prayed to God for help and God did not help them?