1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 08:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Who are some of these people and how do you know they were in harms way and prayed to God for help and God did not help them?
    Sorry Ron, i have zero interest in discussing anything with you. You are a disgrace to your fellow chess players on this site and don't have the intellectual capacity to discuss anything with any integrity.

Other than that, have a good day. 😏
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 09:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I really do not want to go into details of my private life. Suffice it to say that when I was 18, God delivered me from a man who had imprisoned me in his house for 2 years. My father and friends of his broke down the door of the house (today it would be called a home invasion) and rescued me from this man. He told me years later that at the time, he had ...[text shortened]... e was guided there by an angel of God. That's all I'll say about it. It's distant past now.
    I reckon things like that do happen, Suzianne. And its not all chance coincidence or explained by reductionist materialist thinking. I have experienced it myself.

"Angels" and "devils" do represent something in human existence, and in numerous paths, including Buddhism, but I think the 'form' they present varies and sometimes the participants don't know themselves as "angels". And there is remarkable healing. I don't think it is confined to one path, or that it is sufficient evidence that the path is the only one, or that theism is the only explanation. Different cultural terminology is used for the same phenomenon.

Shamans heal people. Qi Gung has remarkable effects. Total atheists have experienced strange synchronicities. Science has its strangeness that appears to contradict logic and former certainties. Why it happens sometimes to some and not others in dire straits, remains a question to me. Quantum science might have some explanations, with its quantum field. But that is another label.

I am glad you were rescued. How remarkable. Thank you for sharing that.

"Horatio:
    Oh day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Hamlet:
    And therefore, as a stranger, give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 10:12
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Crazy story, and i respect your right to not divulge details of your private life. Suffice to say though, i would obviously disagree on the 'angel of God' bit.

Here's a question for you - there have no doubt been countless people throughout history who have found themselves in a harmful situation (such as you did), and as a result of the impending ha ...[text shortened]... was forthcoming. Why do you think God doesn't save everyone's life who prays for his help?
    I don't know. I'm not God, people do not pray to me, so I cannot judge Him. He has His reasons, which it is not for me to know, or He'd tell me.

Man is a weak creature. What if my Dad had refused to listen to God (or the angel, or whomever) and decided not to do the difficult thing asked of him? I would submit that often God tries to help, but since He must use humans as tools to work His miracles, sometimes the failing lies with the human whose fear overrides God's urging.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Sep '12 14:37
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Sorry Ron, i have zero interest in discussing anything with you. You are a disgrace to your fellow chess players on this site and don't have the intellectual capacity to discuss anything with any integrity.

Other than that, have a good day. 😏
    I have shared some of my insight on my recent OTB games with those on the Chess Forum. So I am really not that bad a guy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree