Someone please explain evolution to me

Someone please explain evolution to me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cg

Seattle

Moves
10 Feb 06

It doesn't make sense to me.
Here is what I think I know about evolution:
The universe always has and always will evolve. It started with some molecules that randomly started evolving because conditions were perfect. The prook for this is in the small difference we see in life(dog breeds, birds getting longer beaks to reach bugs, giraffs getting longer legs etc.)
Obviously I dont know much. But i do have one question. Assuming that life did start from that DNA, matter, molecules, watever "it" was....where did "it" come from?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by c guy1
The universe always has and always will evolve. It started with some molecules that randomly started evolving because conditions were perfect. The prook for this is in the small difference we see in life(dog breeds, birds getting longer beaks to reach bugs, giraffs getting longe ...[text shortened]... e did start from that DNA, matter, molecules, watever "it" was....where did "it" come from?
I'll give it a go, but not now. Later, tonight.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
10 Feb 06

The universe always has and always will evolve. It started with some molecules that randomly started evolving because conditions were perfect. The prook for this is in the small difference we see in life(dog breeds, birds getting longer beaks to reach bugs, giraffs getting longe ...[text shortened]... e did start from that DNA, matter, molecules, watever "it" was....where did "it" come from?
Here's what I don't understand!

Why the heck are bothering to ask possibly THE most complicated astrophysic question in a Spirituality Forum when you've got the information super-highway at you fingertips?!

Sod off to Google and look up theories on the origins of the universe, then spend the next few hours reading them. That way we can all avoid the mass posting of the usual zealous Darwin vs. God drivel.

cg

Seattle

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
Here's what I don't understand!

Why the heck are bothering to ask possibly THE most complicated astrophysic question in a Spirituality Forum when you've got the information super-highway at you fingertips?!

Sod off to Google and look up theories on the origins of the universe, then spend the next few hours reading them. That way we can all avoid the mass posting of the usual zealous Darwin vs. God drivel.
because this is what the Spirituality Forum is about. Evolution requires just as much faith as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or any other religion. I could read this, but then why woulnd't learn what it ment to individual who believes. Things learned through personal experiences often carry more weight

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
10 Feb 06

because this is what the Spirituality Forum is about. Evolution requires just as much faith as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or any other religion. I could read this, but then why woulnd't learn what it ment to individual who believes. Things learned through personal experiences often carry more weight
Unless you really are just looking for an argument in which case you have no intention of understanding why 99.99% of all the people who have devoted their lives to the study of biology accept the fact that evolution has happened and continues to happen, nor why nearly the same fraction agree that the Theory of Evolution best fits observation and has been used countless times to guide research which has led to many fruitful discoveries.

We've all heard the same rhetoric from too many others c guy to take your statements at face value. I can only encourage you to seek out knowledge on the subject from either a school teacher or a college professor. If you go in just looking to fight, armed with the latest silver bullet from your youth pastor or similar uneducated apologist, you'll just look like a fool; but if you honestly want to understand what it is you are blindly attacking with empty rhetoric, then such an encounter could be a very enlightening moment. Just remember evolution and faith in Jesus Christ are not mutually exclusive. While I'm not a believer, I know that from the Christian worldview, Jesus gave you a brain. Why would he not want you to use it?

With that, I'll leave it to the resident bio? chem? professor to give you a short correspondence course.

K

In the wind.

Moves
10 Feb 06

evolution has a different meaning to myself as i don't believe in it.

life however takes a known form of evolution which is changes in laws,systems,beliefs etc and as the point of birth takes place opportunities arise.money,power and fame are there for the taking.it often makes me wonder if people in positions of power purposly bring about change to be first in for a cake which appears.a magic cake which is always eaten till it loses it's magic.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by telerion
Unless you really are just looking for an argument in which case you have no intention of understanding why 99.99% of all the people who have devoted their lives to the study of biology accept the fact that evolution has happened and continues to happen, nor why nearly the same fraction agree that the Theory of Evolution best fits observation and has been u ...[text shortened]... 'll leave it to the resident bio? chem? professor to give you a short correspondence course.
99.99%

Proof?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]99.99%

Proof?[/b]
In science it would be considered statistically different that zero!

K

In the wind.

Moves
10 Feb 06

[b]99.99%

Proof?[/b]
isn't it funny how so many athiests study God 'what they don't believe in' yet not many Christians study evolution.i guess the .01% may study it to help athiests believe.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
In science it would be considered statistically different that zero!
Sure. But to make a claim like that, you need some sort of survey to back it up.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Kaboooomba
isn't it funny how so many athiests study God 'what they don't believe in' yet not many Christians study evolution.i guess the .01% may study it to help athiests believe.
Noted. I'm not part of that 0.01% though.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

Okay,

Evolution, as I try to give a concise definition of it right now, is pretty hard to encapsulate in an easy sound-bite! Basically, evolution is the process by which new species come about, or the organisms within a species develop new characteristics based upon random mutation, but non-random (but not non-stochastic) death and reproductive success.

Basically, the entire theorum can be simplified into the statement that 'the organisms best suited to an environment will both survive longer than organisms poorly suited to their environment, and have higher reproductive success'.

The second clause is that random genetic mutation may lead (occassionally, in the complex organisms that currently inhabit the planet, but more frequently in the past when organisms were genetically, physiologically, biochemically and ecologically simpler) to organisms being either (a) worse, (b) better, or (c) having no effect on the organisms fecundity.

In order for different species to evolve from a common precursor, two main things are required. The first, is some type of isolation between two populations, such as geographical isolation. This prevents gene transfer between the two populations and, given enough time, will lead to the two populations to become so genetically different that they are no longer able to inter-breed (and produce viable offspring). The second thing (more of a help than an absolute necessity) is a heterogenous environment. This promotes competition between organisms within a species, and only the 'fittest' survive.

That should be enough to get the debate started. I'll get onto abiogenesis next time.

K

In the wind.

Moves
10 Feb 06

Noted. I'm not part of that 0.01% though.
you shouldn't always be nice to help someone?sometimes yes, sometimes no.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Okay,

Evolution, as I try to give a concise definition of it right now, is pretty hard to encapsulate in an easy sound-bite! Basically, evolution is the process by which new species come about, or the organisms within a species develop new characteristics based upon random mutation, but non-random (but not non-stochastic) death and reproductive succ ...[text shortened]... .

That should be enough to get the debate started. I'll get onto abiogenesis next time.
To make your explanation more robust you could explain the difference between beneficial and harful mutations.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

To make your explanation more robust you could explain the difference between beneficial and harful mutations.
Okay, a beneficial mutation is one which increases the organisms evolutionary fitness (i.e. reproductive fecundity): a harmful mutation is one that decreases its evolutionary fitness.