Someone please explain evolution to me

Someone please explain evolution to me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by telerion
Damn it, Hal, stop being such a nice guy!
I'll try. 😵

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Halitose
Archeopteryx is a fully functioning bird with teeth, and claw-like protrusions at the end of its wings. Did I just say wings? How could you call a reptile? Reptiles don't have wings. You telling me that this is unquestionable proof that birds developed from reptiles. Puulease! This is not science, it's wishful thinking. You need to explain the development o a similar rant about the coelocanth, a fish caught off the South African coast in the 60's.
"Reptiles don't have wings."

Tell that to pterodactyls then!!!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
12 Feb 06

Archeopteryx is a fully functioning bird with teeth, and claw-like protrusions at the end of its wings. Did I just say wings? How could you call a reptile? Reptiles don't have wings. You telling me that this is unquestionable proof that birds developed from reptiles. Puulease! This is not science, it's wishful thinking. You need to explain the development o ...[text shortened]... a similar rant about the coelocanth, a fish caught off the South African coast in the 60's.
the question begs itself though, "do YOU have a better explanation?" Do you have a theory which is testable and better fits the data?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
"Reptiles don't have wings."

Tell that to pterodactyls then!!!
Fine, are you going to address my main concerns, or will this turn into another semantic game of cat and mouse?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
the question begs itself though, "do YOU have a better explanation?" Do you have a theory which is testable and better fits the data?
This is a red herring.

The wonder of being a skeptic. You have to state your case in an ironclad fashion. I get to poke holes and check for cracks. The fragility of your theory does not hinge on my ability to formulate an alternative.

N

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by telerion
Unless you really are just looking for an argument in which case you have no intention of understanding why 99.99% of all the people who have devoted their lives to the study of biology accept the fact that evolution has happened and continues to happen, nor why nearly the same fraction agree that the Theory of Evolution best fits observation and has been u ...[text shortened]... 'll leave it to the resident bio? chem? professor to give you a short correspondence course.
I myself dont understand the whole evolution thing and process, and I as a Christian dont believe in it.

Quite an interresting thing that came up to my mind, is, that if evolution is continuing to happen, wouldnt human kind start to change in a few years time? And if it going to happen, can scientist prove that and can they pre-design a new look for the humans?

This was just a thought.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by Nicolaas
I myself dont understand the whole evolution thing and process, and I as a Christian dont believe in it.

Quite an interresting thing that came up to my mind, is, that if evolution is continuing to happen, wouldnt human kind start to change in a few years time? And if it going to happen, can scientist prove that and can they pre-design a new look for the humans?

This was just a thought.
Maybe in a couple of thousand years. If there are two non-mixing populations living under different conditions, that is.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Feb 06

Fine, are you going to address my main concerns, or will this turn into another semantic game of cat and mouse?
i'll get back to you.... don't feel like this conversation tonight.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Feb 06

This was just a thought.
Human beings are changing (evolving) all the time and always have. This is undisputable fact. Every farmer knows how to breed animals so as to "pre-design" what they want. So could scientists, so long as you and all other humans involved in the experiment are willing to breed or in some cases not breed with the spouse allotted to you. One of the problems is of course that we would dissagree on what is the prefered "new look".
I believe that it has been tried in the past (Hitler) and in some ways continues today with some people refusing to marry someone a different race than themselves and also with cases of genocide etc.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
13 Feb 06

That you don't understand it is obvious from the fact that you think Evolution is something to be believed in.

S

Moves
13 Feb 06

This was just a thought.
Being Christian doesn't preclude an understanding or an acceptance of the process of evolution. Refusing to believe in something you don't even understand yet is idiotic.

s

Moves
13 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Refusing to believe in something you don't even understand yet is idiotic.
Then all of us atheists are idiots. Who can truly be an atheist and claim to understand God?

S

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by stocken
Then all of us atheists are idiots. Who can truly be an atheist and claim to understand God?
Lol, quite. The difference being god isn't available for understanding whereas evolution most certainly is.

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by Starrman
Lol, quite. The difference being god isn't available for understanding whereas evolution most certainly is.
God is most certainly not available for understanding to those that have made up their minds that He isn't.

S

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
God is most certainly not available for understanding to those that have made up their minds that He isn't.
Dj I truly wonder if you ever listen to anything I say. Even if you do not agree with it, it is worth remembering it so that you don't make ridiculous remarks as the one above. So, for the umpteenth time, I have not made up my mind, I merely await a day where my atheism is altered, if that day does not come, then I shall remain an atheist.