Someone please explain evolution to me

Someone please explain evolution to me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
13 Feb 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
Human beings are changing (evolving) all the time and always have. This is undisputable fact. Every farmer knows how to breed animals so as to "pre-design" what they want. So could scientists, so long as you and all other humans involved in the experiment are willing to breed or in some cases not breed with the spouse allotted to you. One of the problems ...[text shortened]... using to marry someone a different race than themselves and also with cases of genocide etc.
I refused to marry and breed with an ugly, dumb woman in part because she would embarrass me at every social function for the rest of my life and in part because I didn't want to have a bunch a ugly, dumb kids.

Are we weeding out the ugly, dumb woman from our society? I'd like to think so, but unfortunately we are just too nice to ugly, dumb people, and so they live long enough to meet up with another ugly, dumb men and for some strange reason (poverty?) breed more than the rest of us.

Hal showed me that my acceptance of evolution demands that I also support eugenics, so what the hell, eh?

New Slogan: You can be dumb. You can be ugly. But you cannot be both dumb and ugly.

C
Dark Legend

Galaxy near You

Moves
14 Feb 06

Soon you may not have have to "breed" anymore. Just look at the progress made in genetic engineering. Soon they will be able to tap into your DNA and make whatever kind of child you want......disease free.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by Chessplaya548
Soon you may not have have to "breed" anymore. Just look at the progress made in genetic engineering. Soon they will be able to tap into your DNA and make whatever kind of child you want......disease free.
That's fabulous! Can they make women who don't fall in love with you after a night of casual sex too?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by telerion
That's fabulous! Can they make women who don't fall in love with you after a night of casual sex too?
lol. Curse those devilish good-looks of yours, eh?

Cape Town

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by telerion
Are we weeding out the ugly, dumb woman from our society? I'd like to think so, but unfortunately we are just too nice to ugly, dumb people, and so they live long enough to meet up with another ugly, dumb men and for some strange reason (poverty?) breed more than the rest of us.
You are correct. Evolution does not imply that species get better or nicer or cleverer, only that the most successfull at breeding and survival tend to succeed. In the world today, the poorer people are having more children on average than the richer people. Although it is not entirely the case, I believe that in most societies the dumber you are the poorer you are and the less likely you are to have less children (due to planning ahead). Therefore we can expect that the human race is slowly evolving into a dumber type of human being. This is surely evidence that inteligent design is not taking place!

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
14 Feb 06

You are correct. Evolution does not imply that species get better or nicer or cleverer, only that the most successfull at breeding and survival tend to succeed. In the world today, the poorer people are having more children on average than the richer people. Although it is not entirely the case, I believe that in most societies the dumber you are the poor ...[text shortened]... dumber type of human being. This is surely evidence that inteligent design is not taking place!
This is surely evidence that inteligent[sic] design is not taking place!

Non sequitur

You are also committing the cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy of equating the cause of poverty with the lack of intelligence – the scenario is vastly more complex.

J

Moves
14 Feb 06

This is surely evidence that inteligent design is not taking place!
Don't be so sure. What if the one doing the designing has a couple of new pyramids that needs building - traditional style...

Cape Town

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
You are also committing the cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy of equating the cause of poverty with the lack of intelligence – the scenario is vastly more complex.
I did not equate poverty with lack of intelligence. I said that within a given society, it is a general trend. I also know that it is more complicated than that including factors such as: nutrition affects inteligence and therefore the poorer your parents the dumber you are. (again only a trend).

The overall wealth of a given society is totally different and has more to do with economic factors of the region.

However I stand by my statement that in my country the more intelligent people generally do better at school, at work and eventually at accumulating wealth and at having less children.

Sadly I see no such correletion when it comes to contracting and dying of AIDS.

Moves
14 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
Dj I truly wonder if you ever listen to anything I say. Even if you do not agree with it, it is worth remembering it so that you don't make ridiculous remarks as the one above. So, for the umpteenth time, I have not made up my mind, I merely await a day where my atheism is altered, if that day does not come, then I shall remain an atheist.
You periodically stated that God is not available for understanding. You may think that you have not made up your mind and you may even say so, but the above statement makes it sound like you are not even attempting to understand God.

Moves
14 Feb 06

Being Christian doesn't preclude an understanding or an acceptance of the process of evolution. Refusing to believe in something you don't even understand yet is idiotic.
Refusing to believe in something you don't even understand yet is idiotic.

Does the fact that you are an atheist not exclude a belief in God?

Moves
14 Feb 06

Being Christian doesn't preclude an understanding or an acceptance of the process of evolution. Refusing to believe in something you don't even understand yet is idiotic.
Being Christian doesn't preclude an understanding or an acceptance of the process of evolution.

Does being Atheist preclude an understanding or an acceptance of God?

S

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
You periodically stated that [b]God is not available for understanding. You may think that you have not made up your mind and you may even say so, but the above statement makes it sound like you are not even attempting to understand God.[/b]
Oh fer chisssakes dj! Once again then, from the top.

1) There is no acceptable proof for god's existence.
2) Until there is I deny the existence of such an enitity.
3) There is no burden of understanding for something which does not exist.
4) The theory of evolution does exist, as does theology, both of which I work to understand.

Does this make sense? I really don't want to go through it again.

Moves
14 Feb 06

Oh fer chisssakes dj! Once again then, from the top.

1) There is no acceptable proof for god's existence.
2) Until there is I deny the existence of such an enitity.
3) There is no burden of understanding for something which does not exist.
4) The theory of evolution does exist, as does theology, both of which I work to understand.

Does this make sense? I really don't want to go through it again.
Your first axiom is a universal negative.

S

Moves
14 Feb 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Your first axiom is a universal negative.
Explain.

Moves
14 Feb 06
1 edit

Explain.
Science is ill-equipped to prove universal negatives by virtue of the fact that you are not omnipresent and have limited resources. As a result, you have no basis beyond faith for the foundation of your first axiom.

The burden of proof lies with you to prove that there is no acceptable proof of God's existance. Because you believe only in what you can see, you have to go everywhere in the universe, throughout time and see for yourself that acceptable proof of God's existance doesn't exist. Until you can do this, your assertion that there is no acceptable proof for God's existance is merely an expression based on faith just like a religious belief.

On the otherhand, significant "evidence" exists to the contrary in the person and work of Jesus Christ and the manifestation of a highly complex and ordered creation that reflects that Master's Design.