Someone please explain evolution to me

Someone please explain evolution to me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Okay, a beneficial mutation is one which increases the organisms evolutionary fitness (i.e. reproductive fecundity): a harmful mutation is one that decreases its evolutionary fitness.
Incidence rate expressed as a ration between the two?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Evolution in war-time.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Evolution in war-time.
Close, but no coelacanth.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Evolution in war-time.
Evolution ALL the time! Perhaps even in '1984'?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Pretty low, especially when we've got whopping big genomes, and hugely complex biological systems. It's extremely likely that this is the reason that no multicellular life doesn't have non-eukaryotic, non-prokaryotic cells (i.e. some other cellular structure / physiology). Once the cell got pretty good, multicellularity was the new 'final-frontier' for life. The new playground, and the new place where mistakes could be made with little repercussion. Now that niche is getting full. What next? Maybe another mass extinction?

Dum de dum....

[edit; multicellular life was also only possible because microbes had been producing O2 for a couple of billion years. O2 is a great reducing agent, and allows heaps of chemical energy to be liberated by turning sugars into CO2]

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06

Cough!! Cough!!

Ratio! Bad "n"! Bad "n"!

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by c guy1
It doesn't make sense to me.
Here is what I think I know about evolution:
The universe always has and always will evolve. It started with some molecules that randomly started evolving because conditions were perfect. The prook for this is in the small difference we see in life(dog breeds, birds getting longer beaks to reach bugs, giraffs getting longe ...[text shortened]... e did start from that DNA, matter, molecules, watever "it" was....where did "it" come from?
The origin of the universe and what might be termed the evolution of the universe has nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution.
The origion of life should really be considered a different study from the Theory of evolution although I have no doubt that evolutionary theory can be used to explain a large amount of it. However many other factors such as your "because conditions were perfect" need to be discussed when looking at the origin of life in particular.
Where did matter, molecules, watever come from and how did they find themselves on the earth? well that has nothing to do with evolution either.

cg

Seattle

Moves
10 Feb 06

[b]99.99%

Proof?[/b]
I'm sorry about posting on pre-thread stuff. Just wanted to address a couple comments, all in all I'm enjoying reading the explanations.

He's saying that about 99% of the people who STUDIED it. A world wide survey actually shows that a majority of the world are Christians (vs other beliefs such as Morman, Islam, and Atheist) I heard this in World History and I will ask where he got it.

And to telerion, I'm not here to try and shoot evolution down or try to bring a "silver bullet" I'm here because I have heard evolution taught from a Christian perspective and they made it seem foolish. And I wondered, "If so many smart people believe it to be true, but it seems so wrong, then the person teaching me must be leaving something out. How else can so many people believe it?" In summary, I'm here because someone tried to give me the "magic bullet" and I realized that it's only a dud.

s

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

"When organisms die, they are often decomposed rapidly or consumed by scavengers, leaving no permanent evidences of their existence. Occasionally, some organisms become preserved in some ways. The preserved remains or traces of organisms from a past geological age embedded in rocks by natural processes are called fossils. They are extremely important as they provide direct evidence of evolution and detailed information on the evolutionary history of life on Earth. Palaeontology is the study of past life on the Earth based on fossil records and their relations to different geological time and geological layers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_evolution

---

Evolution is apparent and undeniable to any intelligent mind.

But where did it all start? That's the real question. Whether evolution takes place or not has been quite firmly established, I think.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by stocken
[i]"When organisms die, they are often decomposed rapidly or consumed by scavengers, leaving no permanent evidences of their existence. Occasionally, some organisms become preserved in some ways. The preserved remains or traces of organisms from a past geological age embedded in rocks by natural processes are called fossils. They are extremely important as t al question. Whether evolution takes place or not has been quite firmly established, I think.
[/i][/i]Evolution is apparent and undeniable to any intelligent mind.

Then me dozn't qualfy wif "intelligent mind", sins yeht I remaighn a skeptic of evlusion.

s

Moves
10 Feb 06

Evolution is apparent and undeniable to any intelligent mind.

Then me dozn't qualfy wif "intelligent mind", sins yeht I remaighn a skeptic of evlusion.[/b]
Than maybee yo nead too lok a littl' clos'r at thee evidnce.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by c guy1
I'm sorry about posting on pre-thread stuff. Just wanted to address a couple comments, all in all I'm enjoying reading the explanations.

He's saying that about 99% of the people who STUDIED it. A world wide survey actually shows that a majority of the world are Christians (vs other beliefs such as Morman, Islam, and Atheist) I heard this in World History ...[text shortened]... se someone tried to give me the "magic bullet" and I realized that it's only a dud.
Good on ya, mate (man, I've been in NZ too long!). A truly enquiring mind is a wonderful thing, I hope I can help you in what you are looking for.

I would like to make one point. The 'perfect conditions' you talked about only ever had a to happen once during the inception of life. Since then, evolution occurs faster when conditions are not perfect. If conditions are perfect, then there is no selection pressure, nothing to differentiate between 'better' and 'worse' organisms.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
11 Feb 06

Originally posted by Kaboooomba
isn't it funny how so many athiests study God 'what they don't believe in' yet not many Christians study evolution.i guess the .01% may study it to help athiests believe.
That's ridiculous. Do not project your haught ignorance on the rest of your brethren.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
11 Feb 06

[b]99.99%

Proof?[/b]
You of all people should be the one to ask 🙄.

If such 'proof' were presented, you'd have one of two responses:

1) you'd reject it outright

2) you'd say "yeah, yeah, but so what."

Actually 99.99% might be a little on the low side.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
11 Feb 06

Originally posted by Kaboooomba
isn't it funny how so many athiests study God 'what they don't believe in' yet not many Christians study evolution.i guess the .01% may study it to help athiests believe.
Let me get this straight Kabobo.. You are criticizing those who have the courage to study an opposing viewpoint and trumpeting those who reject what they choose not to understand.

Are you sure your gripe isn't actually with education?