1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 08:521 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i can see from your post that it must be the case, another Christian that cannot actually comment on the actual content of the post, what is it, like some kind of mental block that you guys have. Interesting phenomena, i wonder what its called?
    Sorry for the double post. My computer is wigging out!!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 08:52
    Interesting from a textual point of view that the term God in 1st Timothy 3:16 is actually an interpolation, a corruption of the Greek verse for he.

In 1859 Tischendorf found what was the oldest known complete copy of the Christian Greek Scriptures in a monastery at the base of Mount Sinai, the Codec Sinaiticus, how did it read at 1 Timothy 3:16 ...[text shortened]... ced to support the Trinity doctrine.

Dithpicable! what have you to say for yourselves now?
    'He was made manifest in the flesh.' In place of “he,” the majority of then-known manuscripts showed an abbreviation for “God,” made by a small alteration of the Greek word for “he.” However, Sinaiticus was made many years before any Greek manuscript reading “God.” Thus, it revealed that there had been a later corruption of the text, evidently introduced to support the Trinity doctrine.

Completely wrong. The majority of manuscripts do not interpolate 'God' nor is there a pronoun 'he'. The syntax of the Greek is quite clear:

kai homologoumenos mega estin to tes eusebeias mysterion: hos ephanerothe en sarki

And evidently the great mystery of awe was revealed: who was revealed in flesh.

Curiously the Latin replaces the masculine pronoun hos with a neuter:

et manifeste magnum est pietatis sacramentum, quod manifestatum est in carne

And evidently great was the sacrament of piety which was revealed in flesh.

I don't see how this verse could be taken in support of the Trinity but nor do I have any idea what you are talking about either Robbie.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 08:521 edit
    yes i can see from your post that it must be the case, another Christian that cannot actually comment on the actual content of the post, what is it, like some kind of mental block that you guys have. Interesting phenomena, i wonder what its called?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 09:07
    Interesting phenomena, i wonder what its called?

It's the same condition which renders you unable to absorb any material which conflicts with your worldview.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 09:143 edits
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    He was made manifest in the flesh.' In place of “he,” the majority of then-known manuscripts showed an abbreviation for “God,” made by a small alteration of the Greek word for “he.” However, Sinaiticus was made many years before any Greek manuscript reading “God.” Thus, it revealed that there had been a later corruption of the text, evidently introduced pport of the Trinity but nor do I have any idea what you are talking about either Robbie.[/b]
    what is this? have you referenced the actual codex sinaiticus? Why are you producing a Greek text that has nothing to do with it? Why have you not produced any other Greek texts which do interpolate the word theos instead of hos? what is more if there is no 'theos', in the verse making the claim that it should be rendered God dishonest. You are perhaps unaware Conrau, for i have examined through an interlinear various sources of Greek text and the majority render the term God, even though the Greek term was inconclusive. 'th?' 'hos', Here is one which simply interpolates the term theos.

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1ti3.pdf

theos ephanerothe en sarki (God was made manifest in the flesh)
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 09:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]Interesting phenomena, i wonder what its called?

It's the same condition which renders you unable to absorb any material which conflicts with your worldview.[/b]
    no, this seems to be different, it seems that there is an inability to simply read and comment upon the actual content of a post, vain attempts are made to obfuscate with irrelevant assertions, 'did you copy and paste this, 'are you unable to think for yourself', divesgeester, chesspraxis etc. What has that got to do with the actual content, zilch, zero, centre of a doughnut. I wonder what is called, inabilitytocommentuponthetextaritus? who can say.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 09:52
    what is this? have you referenced the actual codex sinaiticus? Why are you producing a Greek text that has nothing to do with it? Why have you not produced any other Greek texts which do interpolate the word theos instead of hos? what is more if there is no 'theos', in the verse making the claim that it should be rendered God dishonest. You are pe ...[text shortened]... erlinear/NTpdf/1ti3.pdf

have you referenced the actual codex sinaiticus?

Ok.

Why have you not produced any other Greek texts which do interpolate the word theos instead of hos?

Ok, I didn't see that there was disagreement in the manuscript tradition.

what is more if there is no 'theos', in the verse making the claim that it should be rendered God dishonest.

I agree. I said I didn't see how this passage supported the Trinity.

I think what has happened here is that the Greek originally had hos (the relative pronoun meaning 'who'😉 but since there is no masculine antecedent in the sentence (mysterion is neuter, eusebeia is feminine), later readers must have been confused how to read this. One solution was probably to replace hos with theos (though, in Greek script, these would not have looked similar). The other, which the Vulgate takes, was to change to neuter (reading quod as though the Greek said ho rather than hos). The interpreter has a hard time explaining what the hos refers to.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 10:162 edits
    have you referenced the actual codex sinaiticus?

Ok.

Why have you not produced any other Greek texts which do interpolate the word theos instead of hos?

Ok, I didn't see that there was disagreement in the manuscript tradition.

what is more if there is no 'theos', in the verse making the claim that it should be rendered God d id ho rather than hos). The interpreter has a hard time explaining what the hos refers to.
    yes this is brilliant, there is indeed, in fact if you look at some of the Greek texts in the interlinear (you could probably read them right off, but i cant, i did make an attempt to learn to read and write Koine, but i lost interest despite the alphabet being quite beautiful to my eye) instead of 'hos', we find terms like th?, which is essentially unintelligible, at least to me anyway and in other versions, they interpolate theos. I wonder if you would be as kind as to try to translate the actual Codex Siniaticus from the original. You can find it here - regards Robbie.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.com/en/manuscript.aspx?book=47&chapter=3&lid=en&side=r&verse=16&zoomSlider=0
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 10:33
    yes this is brilliant, there is indeed, in fact if you look at some of the Greek texts in the interlinear (you could probably read them right off, but i cant, i did make an attempt to learn to read and write Koine, but i lost interest despite the alphabet being quite beautiful to my eye) instead of 'hos', we find terms like th?, which is essentially ...[text shortened]... w.codexsinaiticus.com/en/manuscript.aspx?book=47&chapter=3&lid=en&side=r&verse=16&zoomSlider=0
    The codex reproduces exactly what I had above, although there are no accent or breathing marks and this particular spelling uses lunate sigmas. I shall have a look around for what other codices have.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 10:55
    The codex reproduces exactly what I had above, although there are no accent or breathing marks and this particular spelling uses lunate sigmas. I shall have a look around for what other codices have.
    ok, very good! thanks 🙂
  11. St. Peter's
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 11:07
    what the heck is this? more mere unsubstantiated opinion. The textual integrity of the Codex Sinaiticus being questioned on what basis? that there are other earlier documents (not specified) that contain inaccuracies (again not specified) and you have the audacity to claim that an explanation is pretty slim? what a piece of pure nonsense, the fac ...[text shortened]... e Gentiles, believed on in the world, taken up in glory.

http://www.sinaiticus.com/
    way to go, you once again have been able to make a straw man argument out of a reasonable sentance or staement. The point here is that the Sinai doex has not been proven to be more reliable than the texts already in use.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 11:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry for the double post. My computer is wigging out!!
    It may be the website and not the computer, because I have the same
    problem sometimes. One secound thought it may be Microsoft Windows
    goofing up again. Do you have Vista?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 11:27
    what is this? have you referenced the actual codex sinaiticus? Why are you producing a Greek text that has nothing to do with it? Why have you not produced any other Greek texts which do interpolate the word theos instead of hos? what is more if there is no 'theos', in the verse making the claim that it should be rendered God dishonest. You are pe ...[text shortened]... erlinear/NTpdf/1ti3.pdf

Why don't you guys leave the Greek to the Greeks and just look at
    the English, which we can all understand. Is it not clear that Jesus
    is the "only begotten" Son of God? That fact alone should testify of
    his God nature. He was also the son of man. Notice it says He was
    "begotten" not "created". Let us not be changing the word of God
    to suit our own purposes. Read it as it is, not as you would like it to
    be.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 11:47
    Originally posted by Doward
    way to go, you once again have been able to make a straw man argument out of a reasonable sentance or staement. The point here is that the Sinai doex has not been proven to be more reliable than the texts already in use.
    feels bum to make sure hes not dreaming?

why is it less reliable? you have not stated and as Conrau pointed out, the text does not read 'theos', nor could it be construed as translating as 'theos', clearly its an interpolation to fraudulently support the trinity. Shame on you trinitarians, shame on you!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '11 11:591 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Why don't you guys leave the Greek to the Greeks and just look at
    the English, which we can all understand. Is it not clear that Jesus
    is the "only begotten" Son of God? That fact alone should testify of
    his God nature. He was also the son of man. Notice it says He was
    "begotten" not "created". Let us not be changing the word of God
    to suit our own purposes. Read it as it is, not as you would like it to
    be.
    because as has been pointed out if we leave the translation to the Greeks unscrupulous individuals shall take liberty with the text, as in this instance, somehow turning 'hos', that is 'who', into, 'theos', that is God. When we get to examine the Greek text for ourselves we realise that in not a few instances, this has occurred. Now we are Christians, we are not merely interested in general knowledge, but accurate knowledge, for ours is a God of truth, therefore its important to establish the textual integrity of a verse by looking at the original languages for this yields are great variety of flavours and lends itself to accurate translation.

Only begotten is understood with reference to Christ as being the only entity directly created by God, all other things were created through the Christ. It does not refer as the trinitarians would have us believe as to pre-eminence, thats a nonsense, it refers to begotten as to progeny. In the thirty or so other times begotten is used it prior to 1 Corinthians it refers to progeny! Proverbs Chapter 8 speaks of the Christ in a metaphorical sense as being beside God, as a master worker. Genesis states 'let us make man in our image', that is plural, two entities. John 1:1 states and 'the word was with God', making it logically impossible to be with someone and be them at the same time. The trinity is a nonsense when viewed in the light of these scriptural evidences, I dont know how anyone can believe it nor why its so important to them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree