1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:25
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The smart money looks at the argument and the evidence, not at the man.
    …The smart money looks at the argument and the evidence, not at the man. .…

The above assertion appears to support science over superstition.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:27
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…The smart money looks at the argument and the evidence, not at the man. .…

The above assertion appears to support science over superstition.[/b]
    And why should we gamble my dear AH instead of elaborating?
    😵
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:271 edit
    [b]…The smart money looks at the argument and the evidence, not at the man. .…

The above assertion appears to support science over superstition.[/b]
    Who said I believe otherwise? But since you didn't present any argument in your first post, it doesn't support you over robbie.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Palynka started up a very interesting thread, Thread 104839, in Science Forum. joe shmo was very quick to try to bring this thread off-topic by introducing spiritual aspects. I wouldn't want to go off-topic and I said so, which leaded to accusations about hipocracy and his line of discussion went further off-topic.

Therefore I start this ...[text shortened]... agical, of is it real?

Well, engage yourself in the question of 'spark of life'!
    Life can be quantified as pretty much anything EXCEPT the unborn. 😛
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:29
    [b]…Is there really something as 'the spark of life'? Is it some energy, or spirit, or something? Is it magical, of is it real? .…

The answer to all those questions is “no” -to believe otherwise would to believe in a superstition.[/b]
    Nonsense, if it is real it isn’t superstition it simply is part of reality that
    is beyond our abilities to measure after any fashion nothing more.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Perhaps not, but scientists do have a better track record than theologians. If I'm a betting man and a scientist says something is caused by 'X', while a theologian says it is caused by 'Y', then my money goes on 'X'.
    Really, a better track record? Not sure how you measure that, but okay
    if you believe that to be true.
    Kelly
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lol, same old preconceptions, 'look I'm a scientist, you must believe me, because when i say something is, just the fact of me saying it is, means that it really is, because after all, I'm a scientist!'.
    I don’t believe those concepts to be superstition because some scientist says so;
    I believe those concepts to be superstition because they are not based on reason nor evidence.
    I have no recollection of any scientist ever telling me or even implying to me that those concepts are superstitious and I wouldn’t need to have to be told by any scientist or man to know superstition when I see it -I just use my common sense for that.
  8. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:361 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Who said I believe otherwise? But since you didn't present any argument in your first post, it doesn't support you over robbie.
    If something is superstition, you don’t need an “argument” to demonstrate that it is superstition, you just need to point out that it is a belief about reality which is not based on reason nor evidence -that is all.
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    What evidence/reasoning do you use in this case to support the assertion that it is “part of reality”?

If a belief about reality is not in anyway based on evidence/reasoning then it is a superstition .
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 15:441 edit
    Really, a better track record? Not sure how you measure that, but okay
    if you believe that to be true.
    Kelly
    If science was wrong then our technology wouldn’t work -isn’t that a good enough “measure” of the track record of science?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 17:062 edits
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    As opposed to "it must be true as the code of beliefs developed from the moral interpretations of various translated stories written many years after the actual events guides me to believe that an unseen omnipotent power did it"?
    lol, there is more preconception encapsulated in this statement than even the meanest theologian or scientist could hope to achieve if he locked himself away in a room for a thousand years with nothing more than the bible and the origin of the species for companionship. it fails on the premise that theologians derive there belief system from primarily written source, however while such may be the case it is not exclusively so! many are convinced by looking at and examining the physical creation, the cosmos, or cellular structures in which they also see evidence of intelligence and harmony, or the animal kingdom which is filled with wonderful and ingenious organisms.

don't get us wrong, we think science is amazing, in fact for the theologian its not only awe inspiring and an almost spiritual experience to observe the wonders of 'creation', but a confirmation of intelligence. for me personally the most exciting thing at the moment is nanotechnology, this is almost unbelievable what can and will be achieved within the realms of medical science at present and in the future. systems that can replicate processes at a cellular level, mimic for example the functions of red blood cells, or target specific carcinogenic cells at the specific site of manifestation, honestly it is awe inspiring and amazing - hats off to science and scientists
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 19:06
    just an after thought while i was reflecting, despite the incredible advancements, we must put it in context and readily admit that we cannot create even the measliest blade of grass!
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 19:30
    Kelly
    Are you saying that you know that it is beyond our abilities to measure or simply that we have not yet measured it?
    I think that after looking up the definition of superstition, the concept in question fits it rather well. It may be true, but without evidence in its favor, and plenty of reasons to think other wise, believing in it would be best described as superstition.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 22:01
    Does anybody want to know what I think the "spark of life" is?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 22:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    Does anybody want to know what I think the "spark of life" is?
    yeah, go for it, why not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree