1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:05
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I thought the Bible was written so that even the simple minded could understand it. Are you saying that blindfaith101 is too simple minded even to understand the Bible?
    You can misunderstand anything simple, simple does not mean
    you will understand the meaning.

I'll give you two words, "Don't stop" what is being asked here?
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:222 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You can misunderstand anything simple, simple does not mean
    you will understand the meaning.

I'll give you two words, "Don't stop" what is being asked here?
    Kelly
    I don't believe that the Bible is written so that even the simple minded can understand it. That is, however, a premise invoked by others which I was leveraging as part of a reductio proof of the lack of coherence of checkbaiter's position. I am well aware that even simple texts can be misunderstood by even the non-simple minded, and the Bible is hardly a simple text.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:29
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I thought the Bible was written so that even the simple minded could understand it. Are you saying that blindfaith101 is too simple minded even to understand the Bible?
    I thought the Bible was written so that even the simple minded could understand it

I think that is true.

Are you saying that blindfaith101 is too simple minded even to understand the Bible?

No not at all...that is why there are so many denominations. They all have some truth, but none have all the truth...including myself...I have much to learn. I am not so cocky that I could not learn from BF101 or anyone for that matter. I want to remain "humble" and let God teach me through any means He wants. I have learned many things from many of you on this forum. Believers and unbelievers.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:33
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    [b]I thought the Bible was written so that even the simple minded could understand it

I think that is true.

Are you saying that blindfaith101 is too simple minded even to understand the Bible?

No not at all...that is why there are so many denominations. They all have some truth, but none have all the truth...including myself...I have ...[text shortened]... He wants. I have learned many things from many of you on this forum. Believers and unbelievers.[/b]
    This is the number one post taht I have ever see on RHP.

You have got the 1 rec so far from me keep the recs. coming.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:361 edit
    [b]I thought the Bible was written so that even the simple minded could understand it

I think that is true.[/b]
    Then I don't follow your position. Please, for the record:

Is the Bible written so that even the simple minded can understand it?

Does blindfaith101 misunderstand it, regarding the matter of speaking in tongues?

Is blindfaith101 at least simple minded, if not reasonably intelligent?

How can you coherently answer Yes to all of these?
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 03:382 edits
    We all need someone to teach us how to understand and interprete Scripture:

Of course for me as a Roman-Catholic this someone is the Church, or more precise the Congregation of the Faith and all the Church's teachers of the past and the present, including the Pope.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PY2.HTM

Acts 8:26-40

Then the angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, "Get up and head south on the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza, the desert route."
    So he got up and set out. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, 8 that is, the queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury, who had come to Jerusalem to worship,
    and was returning home. Seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah.
    The Spirit said to Philip, "Go and join up with that chariot."
    9 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?"
    He replied, "How can I, unless someone instructs me?" So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him.
    This was the scripture passage he was reading: "Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter, and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so he opened not his mouth.
    In (his) humiliation justice was denied him. Who will tell of his posterity? For his life is taken from the earth."
    Then the eunuch said to Philip in reply, "I beg you, about whom is the prophet saying this? About himself, or about someone else?"
    Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him.
    As they traveled along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?"
    Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him.
    When they came out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, but continued on his way rejoicing.
    Philip came to Azotus, and went about proclaiming the good news to all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PY2.HTM
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 05:13
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Whats that all about then?

In the UK most people would refer to speaking in tongues with a shrug of the shoulders and a wry smile.

In the US you seem to take it seriously. Is it a real phenomenon or are people just putting it on?
    I know most christians will disagree with me, but I think that is allot of nonsense, In the bible it was talking about where different people from different languages would hear a preacher in their language.

Some would say they get spiritual fullfillment, from it, but I also know some people that gets "fullfillment" from certian dances etc, I think its mostly in ones head. God dont need a certian language to comunicate, and people sure dont need it. I know some people that listens to christian music to get "worked up" and I just think its all in the head.

Its nice to know that I can talk to God anytime, anywhere, just like a personal friend, And I dont need to have a special language to do it
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 05:27
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    I know most christians will disagree with me, but I think that is allot of nonsense, In the bible it was talking about where different people from different languages would hear a preacher in their language.

Some would say they get spiritual fullfillment, from it, but I also know some people that gets "fullfillment" from certian dances etc, I think it ...[text shortened]... time, anywhere, just like a personal friend, And I dont need to have a special language to do it
    You may think what you will, but that view isn't biblical. If you'd like
    the verses I'll give them, I've already said there are several
    different types of gifts of tongues, you just named one of them.
    Kelly
  9. Meddling with things
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 06:21
    Well, I'm gobsmacked. You do take it seriously.

Are there occasions when people speak in tongues which are not of their free will? Occasions where they are taken by surprise and find themselves tonguing.
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 13:041 edit
    It would be great to actually to go to church and join in during the tongue-twister session. Maybe pray with some people. Get some amen's and hallelujah's. Then after the sermon, when everybody wants to greet and meet, tell them off-hand that I don't believe in Jesus, but that I still have a "Holy Spirit Condition." It's like herpes, you can treat it, but it never goes away.

Who knows maybe God would strike me down for blasphemy right there in the moment. Wouldn't you xians feel vindicated then!
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 17:49
    So the holy spirit allows rather than compels? There is an element of choice and control?
    When GOD allows you, is HE not also compelling you.
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 17:53
    BF101 is wrong here. SIT is done at will.
    Speaking in Tongues is done by the Will of THE HOLY SPIRIT. Gibberrish is done at will.
  13. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 17:55
    Originally posted by telerion
    It would be great to actually to go to church and join in during the tongue-twister session. Maybe pray with some people. Get some amen's and hallelujah's. Then after the sermon, when everybody wants to greet and meet, tell them off-hand that I don't believe in Jesus, but that I still have a "Holy Spirit Condition." It's like herpes, ...[text shortened]... rike me down for blasphemy right there in the moment. Wouldn't you xians feel vindicated then!
    THE HOLY SPIRIT does not live within someone who denies CHRIST.
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 17:56
    Well, I'm gobsmacked. You do take it seriously.

Are there occasions when people speak in tongues which are not of their free will? Occasions where they are taken by surprise and find themselves tonguing.
    Yes
  15. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 17:58
    Originally posted by flyUnity

Some would say they get spiritual fullfillment, from it, but I also know some people that gets "fullfillment" from certian dances etc, I think it ...[text shortened]... time, anywhere, just like a personal friend, And I dont need to have a special language to do it
    You are right

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree