Speaking in tongues

Speaking in tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Nov 05
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
[b]Is the Bible written so that even the simple minded can understand it?
Yes

Does blindfaith101 misunderstand it, regarding the matter of speaking in tongues?
I think so.

Is blindfaith101 at least simple minded, if not reasonably intelligent?
It's not my place to say either way...I don't know enough about him. And even if I did, I would not answer a question like that.[/b]
OK, we have established that the Bible is such that even the simple minded can understand it, AND that blindfaith101 misunderstands it.
Doesn't this imply that blindfaith101 isn't even simple minded? Don't your first two answers entail the answer to the third question?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Nov 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
OK, we have established that the Bible is such that even the simple minded can understand it, AND that blindfaith101 misunderstands it.
Doesn't this imply that blindfaith101 isn't even simple minded? Don't your first two answers entail the answer to the third question?
What is the point of this?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Nov 05
1 edit

What is the point of this?
To show that your position is incoherent. It is logically impossible to believe that the Bible is written so that even the simple minded can understand it, yet not believe that a person who cannot understand it is less than simple minded.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Nov 05

To show that your position is incoherent. It is logically impossible to believe that the Bible is written so that even the simple minded can understand it, yet not believe that a person who cannot understand it is less than simple minded.
Oh. I see. So you think a person who does not understand is less than simple minded?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Nov 05

Oh. I see. So you think a person who does not understand is less than simple minded?
No, because I don't adhere to the premise that the Bible is written so that even the simple minded can understand it. You do, however, adhere to that premise, so you must, by virtue of holding that premise, believe that a person who doesn't understand the Bible is less than simple minded. That's an entailment of the premise in question.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Nov 05

No, because I don't adhere to the premise that the Bible is written so that even the simple minded can understand it. You do, however, adhere to that premise, so you must, by virtue of holding that premise, believe that a person who doesn't understand the Bible is less than simple minded. That's an entailment of the premise in question.
No, not less than simple minded. Something different. People who do not understand the bible are "blocked" from understanding it. Why? I don't know. But here are a couple of reasons.
1. Motives,. 2. Pride,
Sometimes they are blocked by the god of this world. The people who understand, or come to believe, at least all the ones I know, at some point humbled themselves to God and repented. The simple things. But most can't do that because of pride, independance, unwilling to submit.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Nov 05
3 edits

No, not less than simple minded. Something different. People who do not understand the bible are "blocked" from understanding it. Why? I don't know. But here are a couple of reasons.
1. Motives,. 2. Pride,
Sometimes they are blocked by the god of this world. The people who understand, or come to believe, at least all the ones I know, at some point h ...[text shortened]... The simple things. But most can't do that because of pride, independance, unwilling to submit.
Then your position shifts to saying that, instead of blindfaith101 being simple minded, he is blocked from understanding.

He doesn't seem like the sort that has too much pride or unwillingness, and certainly not independence of thought, to humble himself before God. How do you suppose he has been blocked?

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 Nov 05

1. Motives,. 2. Pride,
Sometimes they are blocked by the god of this world. The people who understand, or come to believe, at least all the ones I know, at some point h ...[text shortened]... The simple things. But most can't do that because of pride, independance, unwilling to submit.
3. Rationality.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Nov 05

Then your position shifts to saying that, instead of blindfaith101 being simple minded, he is blocked from understanding.

He doesn't seem like the sort that has too much pride or unwillingness, and certainly not independence of thought, to humble himself before God. How do you suppose he has been blocked?
I wasn't talking about BF101.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
01 Nov 05

1. Motives,. 2. Pride,
On the other hand some people reject the bible because its a pile of pants.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Nov 05

I was generally speaking of an unbeliever. BF101 was taught something else. You are talking apples and I oranges.
The simple can receive the bible. Period. Jesus said that to come to Him we must become like little children. That sounds simple to me. What he(BF101) see's differently is SIT. It's purpose, etc. It has nothing to do with being simple. It has everything to do with interpretation of scripture. That is why there are so many denominations. Some believe in eternal torment, I do not. Some believe the dead go immediately to heaven/hell...I do not.
Pentecostals SIT, I believe, out of order. Why so many denominations? Probably interpretation of scripture.

NowYouSeeIt

NowYouDon't

Moves
02 Nov 05

Goo-goo-gah-joob! I am the ark13 😞

a

Meddling with things

Moves
02 Nov 05

I was generally speaking of an unbeliever. BF101 was taught something else. You are talking apples and I oranges.
The simple can receive the bible. Period. Jesus said that to come to Him we must become like little children. That sounds simple to me. What he(BF101) see's differently is SIT. It's purpose, etc. It has nothing to do with being simple. It ...[text shortened]... s SIT, I believe, out of order. Why so many denominations? Probably interpretation of scripture.
BF101 candidly answered questiuons on the nature of tonging, perhaps you'd like to explain (in simple terms) the degree of free will a toguer would have should they wish to control their behaviour.

a

Forgotten

Moves
02 Nov 05

nahanga bin dowey sin goiiibna mik vistasia
hey i guess its real
i didnt text that

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Nov 05

Originally posted by aspviper666
nahanga bin dowey sin goiiibna mik vistasia
hey i guess its real
i didnt text that
Tekel

I guess sometimes things can be written and needed to be read
by someone with the Spirit of God giving them understanding.
Kelly