Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
31 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
So?
Well, Paine tends to be right about a lot of stuff, and he provides nice arguments. Have you read "Age of Reason"? If not, you should check it out.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
04 Jun 05

"I assert that the cosmic religious experience is the strongest and the noblest driving force behind scientific research."

Anonymous

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Jun 05

“But God is just, the moralists answer, and he must grant justice and punish transgression. But from what do they derive this ‘must’ to which they subordinate even God? Does there exist, then, some necessity which limits the love of God, limits his freedom? If there is, then God is not God or at least he is not the God that the Church knows.”

Christos Yanneras, Elements of Faith: An Introduction to Orthodox Theology

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Jun 05

One day a soldier asked an elder whether God grants pardon to sinners. The elder answered, “Tell me, my good friend, if your cloak is torn, do you throw it away?” The soldier replied, “No, I mend it and continue to use it.” The elder concluded, “If you take good care of your cloak, will not God be merciful to his own image?”

Thomas Merton, Sayings of the Desert Fathers

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Jun 05
1 edit

As is a grain of sand weighed against a large amount of gold, so, in God, is the demand for equitable judgment weighed against his compassion. As a handful of sand in the boundless ocean, so are the sins of the flesh in comparison to God’s providence and mercy. As a copious spring could not be stopped up with a handful of dust, so the Creator’s compassion cannot be conquered by the wickedness of creatures.

Do not say that God is just….he is before all things kind and good. He is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

St. Isaac the Syrian (quoted in Olivier Clement, The Roots of Christian Mysticism)

l

London

Moves
04 Jun 05

"As a matter of fact, it is generally the man who is not ready to argue, who is ready to sneer. That is why, in recent literature, there has been so little argument and so much sneering."

- Chesterton. Saint Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox. p.102.

c

Moves
04 Jun 05

Scientists who assumed a deity are not unusual; Newton, Pascal, Copernicus, and Einstein are just a few of the more famous. But, today is different. Deity is neither a premise nor a possibility in traditional science. And to be fair, Richards and Gonzalez are not arguing for deity, per se, but arguing that the empirical evidence of life, chemistry, astrobiology, and especially physics accumulatively suggest purpose, not random permutation

D. Thomas Porter Omega News

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
05 Jun 05

Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier.
Be the living expression of God's kindness.

- Mother Teresa

E

Moves
06 Jun 05

What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow. Our life is the creation of our mind.
- The Buddha

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
06 Jun 05
2 edits

And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

Genesis (ch. IV, v. 9)

Hmmm . . .

Moves
09 Jun 05
1 edit

The seed of God is in us.

Now, the seed of a pear tree
grows into a pear tree,
and a hazel seed
grows into a hazel tree—

A seed of God
grows into God.

- Meister Eckhart

g

Moves
10 Jun 05

When I am hungry, give me someone that I can feed.
And when I am thirsty, give me someone who needs a drink.
When I'm cold, give me someone to keep warm.
And when I grieve, give me someone to console.

~Mother Teresa~

E

Moves
12 Jun 05

To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
- Buddha

g

Moves
12 Jun 05
1 edit

"This is an exceedingly strange development, unexpected by all but the theologians. They have always accepted the word of the Bible:
In the beginning God created heaven and earth...
[But] for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak;
[and] as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

- Robert Jastrow (God and the Astronomers )

a

Meddling with things

Moves
12 Jun 05

The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, June 20, 1815