1. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 12:24
    Spirituality has nothing to do with religion.
    Agree or disagree?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 12:302 edits
    Originally posted by souverein
    Agree or disagree?
    I disagree; though this disagreement should not be taken as to mean that spirituality IS religion, more that spirituality is an umbrella term which includes religion - and also includes a myriad of other ideas, perhaps based upon the supernatural, and perhaps not.

What it includes in it's entirety I don't know...just like "art" includes painting, "unmade beds", music, etc... "spirituality" is also just as nebulous. Reveal Hidden Content
    no prizes for guessing which things in "spirituality" I think satisfy the "unmade bed" metaphor :]
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 12:511 edit
    Agree or disagree?
    Saying religion has nothing to do with spirituality would be like saying..... soil has nothing to do with the earth......just saying.

The particle within your body that animates the body to life, and is conscious and aware is the spirit....hence spirituality.

God is the source of spirit being the Supreme Spirit.

Religion is about the nature of God and the spirit within, and the eternal relationship they have.

And of course when I say religion, I do not mean substitute religion, but true religion.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 12:56
    Agree or disagree?
    Disagree.
    I'd say that spirituality *is* religion.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 13:011 edit
    Agree or disagree?
    For the most part, understanding what I think you mean:
    Agree. I am still trying to get out of religion.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 13:03
    Agree or disagree?
    depends on your definition of religion. if religion is the money and power hungry institution that spawned the inquisition, crusades and popes or the one that condoned the holocaust or the cover up of catholic pedophile priests or the concept used by terrorists as a motive, then yes, there is nothing spiritual about that kind of religion.

i view religion as it should be. not as it was perverted. the negative aspects of "religion" ar the abnormalities one should purge.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 15:32
    Agree or disagree?
    I agree.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 15:40
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I agree.
    I second the agreement; in that one can be spiritual in philosophy, much more than pre-set, ordained, indoctrinated religion.

Where does religion come from apart from indoctrination?

As a child, going to a book shop, would you choose 'BATMAN & ROBIN', 'SUPERMAN', 'ROY OF THE ROVERS', 'BARBIE MAGAZINE' -

or The Bible????????????

Who's choice was it for all of you commenting here, as a child?

-m.
  9. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 21:39
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I disagree; though this disagreement should not be taken as to mean that spirituality IS religion, more that spirituality is an umbrella term which includes religion - and also includes a myriad of other ideas, perhaps based upon the supernatural, and perhaps not.

What it includes in it's entirety I don't know...just like "art" includes painting, "unmade be ...[text shortened]... which things in "spirituality" I think satisfy the "unmade bed" metaphor :][/hidden]
    Religions claims to know do's and dont's that are attributed to an higher power. It believes in rewards and punishments during or after life. They develop powerful institutes.
    Spirituality is an individual exploration to the essence of our existence. It is amoral and not organized.
    An atheist can be spiritual, but not religious.
  10. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 21:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Disagree.
    I'd say that spirituality *is* religion.
    I cannot find this in my dictionary. 😉 What makes you think this?
  11. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 21:49
    Originally posted by jaywill
    For the most part, understanding what I think you mean:
    Agree. I am still trying to get out of religion.
    You are not the only one. I think many religious tenets don't make sense anymore at present. I'm actually rather surprised about the slowness of this process.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 22:01
    Agree or disagree?
    The definitions people used are all muddled up. Like some things are spiritual and some things aren't.
    Or some experiences are religous and some aren't.
    So maybe I'll just go with the wiki definitions, but I suspect there is more to both words
    In a way Fabian is right, in another way he is not.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 22:311 edit
    Depends on the definition/description of religion. To me religion (in my definition) is an abhorant abomination, it disgusts me.

However, spirituality without the framework of truth provides the human condition with nothing more than lazing on bean-bags and smoking pot.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jan '11 23:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Depends on the definition/description of religion. To me religion (in my definition) is an abhorant abomination, it disgusts me.

However, spirituality without the framework of truth provides the human condition with nothing more than lazing on bean-bags and smoking pot.
    You gotta look at these things relatively-sitting on a bean bag smoking pot is not in the same league as becoming or wanting to become a soldier,which is less and less prevalant as the new millenium kicks in.
    And "soldier" just means murderer in my book.
  15. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 12:12
    Originally posted by divegeester

Religion doesn't disgust me. I think it has had valuable sides when we study her history. I hope there will come a time we dare to live without it.

I wonder what you mean with 'without the framework of truth'. What framework are you thinking of? Not a religious one I suppose. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree