1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 17:37
    Seems we could save a lot of time by putting a FAQ together for new forum visitors (and some of the old ones who need reminders).

Q: Why are so many atheists here? They don't even believe in Jesus!
    A: First, this is not a Christianity forum; it's a Spirituality forum. There are many other religions besides Christianity.

Q: But, but, why are there so many atheists here when they don't even believe in God?!
    A: First, there are religions that are not theistic, so you don't need to believe in a god to be religious. Second, this is a forum for those who are interested in the topic of human spirituality, whether they are religious or not. Third, people's religious beliefs impact society in many ways: laws, customs, social norms, etc. It is reasonable for the skeptic to be concerned with such effects, as they have to live with them.

Q: But, but, I have souls to save here! Don't these people realize they're going to hell?
    A: As you gain more debating experience, you'll realize that debates rarely change people's minds. The best you can hope for is that you will make strong, cogent arguments and get them to stop and think for a minute.

Also, with experience, you'll learn that these statements are question-begging. The skeptic does not agree that there is a hell, nor do they think there are souls. You must first convince them of both before they can take this question seriously.

Q: But I want a place filled with only like-minded people to discuss how awesome our religion is!
    A: Form your own private club if you want this. The general consensus is that such a forum would be incredibly boring.

I'm sure some theists would love to add some questions for the skeptics...
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 17:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Seems we could save a lot of time by putting a FAQ together for new forum visitors (and some of the old ones who need reminders).

[b]Q: Why are so many atheists here? They don't even believe in Jesus!

A: First, this is not a Christianity forum; it's a Spirituality forum. There are many other religions besides Christianity.

Q: ...[text shortened]... incredibly boring.

Theists have no need for questions. They already have all the answers.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 18:044 edits
    Needing a faq and having started one no more than 30 minutes later. Kudos! That's commitment!

I'll add two:

Q: Why should I be an atheist? What does atheism offer me?
    A: Atheism offers you nothing. It's a lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more, nothing less. If you want goodies or gifts, atheism is not going to get it for you. The only real upside to being an atheist is that you are closer to experiencing reality than theism. Of course, if you don't like reality and would rather live in a fantasy world, you might not consider this an upside.

Q: Why would you choose to be an atheist?
    A: You can't choose to believe or to not believe. At best you consider the available evidence and decide on the basis of that whether or not it is logical that a god should exist, but then it is no longer a case of "believing" in the theistic sense, but rather a case of using the available knowledge to make an informed decision.

Again: one cannot choose to believe or to not believe.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 18:24
    *golf clap*
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 18:40
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Theists have no need for questions. They already have all the answers.
    That's the idea. If you have all the answers, then give your answers to the most common questions.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 18:441 edit

Nice idea. Lets hope people dont pollute the thread with nonsense ie only relevant questions and brief correct answers. Please no Jaywill/Sonship lectures or Googlefudges essays... 🙂
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 18:54
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Needing a faq and having started one no more than 30 minutes later. Kudos! That's commitment!

I'll add two:

[b]Q: Why should I be an atheist? What does atheism offer me?

A: Atheism offers you nothing. It's a lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more, nothing less. If you want goodies or gifts, atheism is not going to get it for you. The only r ...[text shortened]... nowledge to make an informed decision.

Again: one cannot choose to believe or to not believe.[/b]
    These two lack the pretense of neutrality that is necessary in a FAQ. As such, a re-write is required.

Q: Why should I be an atheist? What does atheism offer me?
    A: Atheism offers you nothing. It's a lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more, nothing less. If you want goodies or gifts, atheism is not going to get it for you. The bottom line is that you should search for truth without regard for what it may offer in return.

Q: Why would you choose to be an atheist?
    A: You can't choose to believe or to not believe. At best you consider the available evidence and decide on that basis whether or not it is likely that god(s) exist(s).

Once you have made your evaluation, you cannot simply choose to think otherwise (try it). You need something like new evidence, or re-thinking your existing reasoning, to change your belief.[/b]
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 19:20

Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A:

Note: Timely initiative, SwissGambit; wouldn't be surprised if this thread is still on page one December 31, 2014.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 19:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Q: Why do some self proclaimed atheists on this forum appear to be in a constant state of agitation (rather than relaxed)?

A:

Note: Timely initiative, SwissGambit; wouldn't be surprised if this thread is still on page one December 31, 2014.[/b]
    The idea is not for you to ask other people questions. It's for you to answer questions that are commonly asked.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 19:301 edit
    These two lack the pretense of neutrality that is necessary in a FAQ. As such, a re-write is required.

[b]Q: Why should I be an atheist? What does atheism offer me?

A: Atheism offers you nothing. It's a lack of belief in god(s). Nothing more, nothing less. If you want goodies or gifts, atheism is not going to get it for you. The bottom line is th ...[text shortened]... something like new evidence, or re-thinking your existing reasoning, to change your belief.[/b][/b]
    I can live with this - although I will admit quite liking that thing I wrote about living in a fantasy world. But I like the last sentence of that first question "The bottom line..." )
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 19:513 edits
    Can we keep opinions out of this supposed FAQ, please?

It's supposed to be for "new forum visitors", not "new atheists", or "prospective atheists", or even "a stab in the gut for theists".
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 19:55
    What would be your Q/A to add to the faq, Suzianne?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 20:00
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    What would be your Q/A to add to the faq, Suzianne?
    I don't know yet, but calling it "reality versus a fantasy world" is fairly below the belt. I, for one, don't see it that way.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 20:03
    I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll let it go.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 20:13
    Q: But I want a place filled with only like-minded people to discuss how awesome our religion is!
    A: Form your own private club if you want this. The general consensus is that such a forum would be incredibly boring.
    My answer: That place is called a church, and this isn't a church.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree